Announcing the Heroic Writer’s Contest!

My completion rates are:
39% (yikes)
86%
80%

Pretty sure the 39% is enough to be eliminated :sad_panda:

1 Like

From the Reader Retention page:

It does vary a little bit (and has changed over time), but currently we look at retention for the first 3 chapters of a story for shelves and contests. We like stories to keep about ⅔ of readers by then end of Chapter 1, ½ by the end of Chapter 2 and about ⅓ by the end of Chapter 3.

And I oop.

But you can still have a chance! There are quite few entries in comparison to other contests after all :blob_sun:

2 Likes

They added April’s Editors Picks :sob::sob:

1 Like

:tired_face:

But congrats to those people!

Has anyone’s entries been reviewed yet? I know 2 or 3 people have, just want to hear other authors, underrated authors.

1 Like

Honestly, I hope the judges consider the fact that readers have openly admitted (most on Instagram, but a fair few on forum threads and even in fanmail where people have stated they’ve discontinued because of gems) to opening stories and clicking out as soon as they saw the gem options. There are also people who click out as soon as they see there isn’t customisation, name choosing, or LI variations, which has nothing to do with whether a story is actually good or not (and honestly, if authors don’t want things like that, they shouldn’t be made to feel to include it. Some stories are far more brilliant without it, based on the plot alone). It’s easier when authors write features into their covers or descriptions, but it’s not always possible to write a great description plus features, and covers will hardly say ‘spend all your gems here’ :joy: I don’t know if they can see at which exact point in an episode that someone has left, which could be helpful to determining if it was these specific factors or if it was, say, halfway through to the end of the episode (in which case yeah, it’s the story itself not the gems or CC etc lol.)

I really hope they take this into consideration, particularly given this is the first time gems were an actual requirement. I know many people who hate gem choices, no matter how good they are. If the retention isn’t that great in episodes 2 and 3 onwards, then yeah, that has more to do with reader engagement and enjoyment as the reader knows by then what the story is like, that it has gems, what the CC/LI/ naming situation is like. By then, they’re focused on whether the story is enjoyable (to them) or not, and if it’s as high as yours, then it should definitely be seen that the story has huge potential for Episode. :pleading_face::two_hearts::blush:

7 Likes

Curse those dream judges :joy::joy: Speaking of contest dreams, guess who had not one but two this morning? One I lost, again :sob: the other I won but then my story got taken down because they didn’t like that her uniform was green even though it’s blue, and I was frustrated because for some reason I could only make it orange when fixing it, so my sister who has never written before in her life won instead and got to fly to Hawaii (cough future prize suggestion for someone who has winter knocking on her door? :thinking::smirk: cough). I hate to admit this, but I checked my cover as soon as I woke up just in case :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I think your dream judges and Dominique Seth Da Silva’s dream judges are the same people. It’s the only explanation.

3 Likes

Yes, I was reviewed a few days ago

Oh my word. Definitely the same dream judges as mine :face_with_hand_over_mouth::rofl:

2 Likes

I am now thoroughly convinced the contest winners will be announced the one time I will be AFK.

Perhaps it will be next friday. Someone mentioned that the judges have a habit of announcing winners on the 20th of next month passing the deadline, or so I read in another post.

1 Like

I think next Friday seems the most likely. They did editor’s pick this week, pride month starts in June so they’ll probably do the shelf for that the 27th and there’s not another shelf they’re looking for yet (and they tend to put around 4 weeks between asking for suggestions and the shelf anyway) so I’ll be surprised if it’s not next week because I don’t know what else it could be.

Correction: there’s the Hidden gems shelf they posted for on Apr. 25th so maybe contest winners next week, Hidden gems the 27th and then Pride June 3rd???

Obviously pure guessing based on past things here. :joy:

3 Likes

yeah i know, lol

1 Like

Yeah, that makes sense.

1 Like

I wonder when they will announce the next contest

7 Likes

I’m thinking May 17th or the 18th

1 Like

anyone whose entry has NOT been reviewed and approved yet? (mine hasn’t and i’m not able to figure out why :’)

Mine hasn’t been reviewed and i think will not be. I hadn’t a lot of time for promoting and got new job right after deadline so I gave up this time. I still have less than 100 reads and it’s understandable because nobody knows about my story :slight_smile:

I’ll finish my story because I put a lot of effort in it, but I’m totally ok it’s not reviewed. In any case, it was funny to write and great chance to practice!

2 Likes