Announcing the Own Voices Writer’s Contest!

eeek I have an idea already. Gonna get started now!

2 Likes

I think I understand it and finally no gem choices!

5 Likes

This plot reminds me of my plot but totally different.

2 Likes

yayy so cool!!! unfortunately I don’t think i’ll enter because the next 4 months of my life are going to be the most stressful and chaotic :joy:
so i’ll be passing, but hopefully read some entries! good luck authors :sparkles::heart:

6 Likes

Question about the needing a li. What if my character is Aromatic and Asexual?

9 Likes

Love an AroAce li. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

It would be my mc who’s Aro/Ace. At least that’s how I wanted it to be

2 Likes

I won’t enter, but I wish luck everyone who will. :grin::blush::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Yep.

Let me get back to y’all.

I don’t see having a LI as a bad thing in this case because as explained in a different response, it can be used as a plot device used to explore how a character who is Aromantic and/or Asexual handles navigating society pushing that on them.

9 Likes

Nice, thank you!

Well I think I’m entering this one with this story :eyes:

me saying that while having an unfinished story and a few busy months ahead of me, but no pressure :skull:

4 Likes

@secrets.epi u got this! Don’t worry. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

writes a story about being trapped in the Midwest :tornado:

10 Likes

i love this idea!!

1 Like

Thanks I already have the cover and everything just need to replan it since it requires a love interest.

1 Like

So If I introduced a love interest, they don’t necessarily have to get with them?

2 Likes

it’s crazy how the prompt is called “own voices” but then you’re excluding my fellow aces :woman_standing:t4:we are aware that aromantic is a sexuality, yes? that’s apart of pride-lgbtqia+. whilst, they experience little to no romantic feelings- it’s such a shame and it’s sad that they can’t even feel apart of this contest since we are forced to show a love interest in episode one.

24 Likes

This semi ruined my whole idea. I wanted an aro/ace MC

5 Likes

Requiring a love interest is a bad move. First of all, it disqualifies some experiences such as people in the aromatic community, secondly, it may distract from the story people desire to tell. This may not be a big deal to most writers, but in a contest about writers telling stories about authentic experiences within a community, people will be hindered by the fact that they have to shoe-horn in a plot line that they may not have experience with. As a queer person, I would want the freedom to write about a queer narrative without the need for a love interest. This choice just hinders creativity.

But at least there’s no gem choice requirements this time. :joy:

24 Likes