Announcing the Queer Writer's Contest

Hold my pen, is it time to gay?
I am beyhond excited. Yay us!
I need a limelight editor for this, though…

6 Likes

“Whether that’s an asexual’s best-friendship turning into something more,” The phrasing of this makes me think people will write stories about/you’re suggesting ace people can be “cured” of their asexuality which is super acephobic. It’s a picky comment but please be aware of the wording you use when talking about people’s identities? -An Ace Spectrum Gal

40 Likes

What? :flushed:

1 Like

Hey! Thank you so much for pointing this out. We had meant it as an asexual entering into a more committed relationship while retaining their sexual identity, but it’s understandable that it could be taken in an insensitive direction. We’ll be removing this language from the main post in order to avoid confusion or misrepresentation of the topic.

42 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you! It means a lot when people are understanding.

13 Likes

Ahh this is amazing! As an asexual person myself, I would love to see more stories about all spectrums in the community! I won’t be joining this one but I can’t wait to read everyone’s stories! Good luck everyone! <3

3 Likes

That aside, I’m really looking forward to seeing the amazing stories people come up with. It’s been said, but please be mindful of the kind of representation you’re providing. :yellow_heart:

11 Likes

I’m very… hesitant about this one, because like others are pointing out, people already act terribly in non-LGBT+ focused contests. I can’t imagine all the offensive stories or plots written for Woke points by people outside the community that will undoubtedly pop up. I hope the review team is very careful about what stories they choose to elevate as winners for this contest.

23 Likes

Big note, indeed.

4 Likes

@MarsX
@Naoko
@Problematic_Patrick

2 Likes

It’s like… I already saw transphobia in a major story with the current contest. I really hope good stories written by good people will have a time to shine, not half-baked representation or tone-deaf plots.

16 Likes

Am I being controversial if I say that in my opinion straight people shouldn’t join? Like how are they going to correctly represent something if they’ve never lived it? Even if someone is educated they won’t ever be able to understand the struggles of someone in the spectrum besides this contest should be a good way to hear the voices of the LGBTQ+ people.
I would think differently if the content was about something general and an LGBTQ+ subplot but the whole prompt is to represent it, in my opinion, it’s not really a place for straight people to talk about.

Like come on people, there will be other contests. It’s fine if you don’t take part in this one

24 Likes

I’m just…hoping most of the folx who enter this contest are part of the LGBTQIA+ community. I got a big problem with cishet people even saying the word Queer. We use it as a catchall as we learn more about how complicated gender and sexuality identities and expressions are, but cishet people really…shouldn’t be using it in the same way. Um but that’s based on a lot of concerns others have, which is how people may misrepresent different identities.

If I see any transphobic nonsense…Well. Please do some research if you don’t belong to any part of this community and you’re planning to enter this contest. That means consuming media about LGBTQA folks created by LGBTQA folks. Read some academic stuff or informational stuff by LGBTQA ppl. Not just asking the LGBTQA people you know to tell you their life stories. Or…tbh…just let us have this one lol. PLEASE

Actually, I may enter this one

17 Likes

This is so great! I’m not entering, because I have two stories to finish, but I’m going to read as much contest stories as I can! :smile:

2 Likes

I’m straight, and I do have a LGBT+ story publish and in progress, and tbh, I’ll agree with you on your opinion.

5 Likes

IF SOMEONE USES A TRANS CHARACTER (let’s use male to female in this example) AND HAS THEM DATE ANOTHER MAN AND SAY IT’S GAY-

Imma throw some hands.

11 Likes

A contest I actually like?! Amazing…

2 Likes

Oooooh my moms are gonna KILL ME if I make this about them but… whatever.

9 Likes

It’s fine, we have different opinions and that’s ok :ok_hand:
But your story has LGBTQ+ people, it’s not about it if I remember correctly. I think that this difference is what makes me think the way I do, this prompt is about LGBTQ+ people.
I have androgynous, gay, bisexuals people on my story too but my story is about something different.

3 Likes