Announcing the Risk and Reward Writer's Contest

Hello Episode Authors,

It’s time to start the next Writer’s Contest! This time the theme is… Risk And Reward!

Your story should focus on your main character taking a huge risk, and what the outcome of that risk is. The risk they take should happen in the first chapter of your story.

The main character must take the risk in the first chapter, the rest of the story should focus on what happens as a result of the risk they took. A reward is NOT a requirement for the contest, as the character could take a risk that doesn’t pan out, or punishes them

The specific guidelines are:

1. Your story must have “R&R” in the title. Stories without “R&R” in the title will be disqualified. While not required for entry it is strongly recommended that you format your title like this - “R&R: Heads or Tails” This will help readers search for your story and identify it as a contest entry.

2. You must completely fill out this Google form to enter. In the event that you send the wrong link or make a mistake on your entry form, please send your story title, email address and the correct link in a support ticket so we can update your entry.

3. Your story can be in any genre, but has to focus on the outcome of a risk or series of risks your Main Character takes. The risk they take has to be shown in the first chapter of your story.
    Examples of possible plots:

• A single mom gets the job opportunity of a lifetime, but it means moving to New York City with two kids…
  • When you invent the next big app, you get investors breaking down your door, but you’ll have to drop out of college to run it full time…
  • Your boyfriend’s band has been offered a spot opening for a huge band on their world tour, and he wants you to come with them! Do you quit your job and finally pursue photography full time?
  1. You may write in either Cinematic (full-body, animated) or Spotlight (animated upper bodies) Styles or a combo of the two. You can use any art style you prefer.

2. We would love to see diverse characters in your stories! For example, characters who are people of color, non-heteronormative, or are of varying religions and socioeconomic backgrounds, just to name a few!

3. The submission window is 8 weeks. Your story must be published no later than 11:59 pm Pacific Time on Thursday, March 18th, 2021. To find out what time that is in your time zone, go here!

4. You may NOT use or re-title a previously published story. This must be a new and original work that has not previously been published to Episode or another platform. Sequels, prequels, spin-offs, etc. are not allowed.

5. If you are an official Episode Director or Writer you may enter the contest, but only with original work outside the scope of your contract with us.

6. Be sure that your story follows our content guidelines. Stories that do not follow or which violate our Content Guidelines may be disqualified and/or have their story banned from the app. If you are any doubts or questions about whether elements or themes of your story fit with our Content Guidelines please contact the Episode Review team here. We are happy to help you with ANY questions you might have!

7. Winners are determined based on the highest levels of reader engagement, rubric score and fit to contest theme. Check out our Episode Explained articles on Creator’s Contests, the Grading Rubric and Reader Retention for more info on how they all work.

8. There is no length requirement for this contest. You only need to have 3 completed chapters published by the entry deadline. Your story may be a complete short story or can be continued after the contest is over. Because you only need three complete chapters to enter you CAN publish new chapters after the deadline. However, you may not substantially alter or change your first 3 published chapters after the deadline (other than to make minor corrections).

9. Fixing typos and errors are allowed after the deadline for contest entries. This includes things like character or speech bubble placement, spelling / grammatical errors or typos. You may not: add options to your CC, change or update your cover art, add additional scenes, choices, dialogue, backgrounds or overlays. When in doubt ask Support before you make any changes. Once the winner’s shelf has been made public you are free to make changes or updates to your story.

10. Remember to allow at least 3 business days prior to the contest deadline for your backgrounds, overlays and story cards to be reviewed. This means you should plan on submitting them no later than Monday, March 15th, 2021. You may not add, change or modify story cards, backgrounds, or overlays after the entry deadline until the winner’s shelf is announced.

Winners from this contest will be showcased in a special Risk and Reward shelf in the Episode app and get a shoutout on our social media account! Winners will be announced 3-6 weeks after the submission deadlines pass as the stories need time to gain reads in the app and for our staff to review them.

Happy writing!

The Episode Team

148 Likes

First!

7 Likes

yay! sounds so great can’t wait for this!!

1 Like

Here early (:

2 Likes

EXCITED!! Yay

1 Like

:scream: :scream: :scream: I am torn…

Between risking entering vs the reward.

29 Likes

Interesting prompt :eyes:

1 Like

thats really interesting

i have no ideas at all for this tho lmao

9 Likes

Same here :rofl:

1 Like

Dang, this is interesting!

My head is running through all my previous ideas I once had :joy:

4 Likes

@talina.writes I need help now :tired_face:

1 Like

I like this theme! :blush: :blush:
I wish I could participate but I don’t have time. :confused:

4 Likes

Same bro… I wanna enter but idk if I’ll be able to :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@Melani3

Is it supposed to be a risk that needs to be rewarded in one of the 3 chapters? Or could the MC just take “the risk” in first chapter and that I show the outcome of it?

4 Likes

Omg yes I so want to enter😍

2 Likes

I want to enter too but i have no ideas

1 Like

I have too many ideas :pleading_face::see_no_evil:

1 Like

I have many ideas, but now I have to find if it fits with the theme :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Good question-

2 Likes

Omg…another contest!!! :0 I think I have an idea… :smirk:

Jeez I just finished FT, now this one. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

11 Likes