Announcing the Stuck With You Writer's Contest!

Heyy, what’s the best time for publishing a story for this contest? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Can we change out story title before the deadline? For example: I named it SWY:xyz but now I want to name it SWY:abc.

1 Like

Yes, you can. If you have already filled out an entry form, you need to send a support ticket to get it changed (:

2 Likes

I think you are allowed to mention city or country names. The limitation comes when you want to mention real people, brand or organization etc.

4 Likes

Thank you so much. :blush:

Here =

3 Likes

@Melani3
So I took a screenshot from the “spelling” part of the “rubric grading” information.

And I have to ask, since a huge portion of Episode authors are not American, surely our spelling cannot be classed as “wrong” or “having mistakes”?! Because in reality… it’s not wrong, we just spell words differently than you do in America!
For example: I’m British and I use British English to write, and therefore my spelling is correct in my Country!
So surely that cannot hurt our rubric, or will it?!

11 Likes

Exactly, and I feel like this will hurt our rubric… because they always mistakenly class them as ‘spelling errors’.
At the end of every chapter, the portal usually tells me that I have over 100 spelling mistakes and it really bugs me, because I’m just thinking to myself: “well actually it’s correct, in my Country.” :rofl::joy: So I feel like it actually does hurt our rubric!

@Melani3 Can you give us the facts about whether it will hurt our rubric or not, (even though we’re spelling correctly in our Country) please?!

6 Likes

I also use British-English so would I’d love to know the answer to this…

Examples for people who are confused what this question

means =

American =

1. Color
  2. Check
  3. Dreamed
  4. Mold
  5. Theater

English =

1. Colour
  2. Cheque
  3. Dreamt
  4. Mould
  5. Theatre

There’s more but there’s a few examples. Tenses of certain words can cause options (i.e burnt is British-English and burned is American-English for that, but burnt and burned are two different tenses in the British-English so it gets confusing for some)

I hope you are able to clear this confusion @Melani3 (:

3 Likes

Yes, and we tend to place “U”s in words that Americans often don’t.

Such as:

-Neighbour
and
-Labour

(There’s many more examples though.)

We also use different terms than Americans:

American:

1. Line
  2. Takeout (As in fast food, such as: Chinese or Pizza and so on!)
  3. Trash (as in litter)
  4. Sneakers

British:

1. Queue
  2. Takeaway
  3. Rubbish or litter
  4. Trainers (although I hate both the UK & USA terms, for this one. :joy:)

These again are just some examples of the differences in spellings and our use of words!

3 Likes

thank you!

British English does not count as spelling mistakes. In addition, the occasional error, stylistic spelling/grammar choices, or use of modern dialects will not count against your score. Thanks for asking for clarification!

15 Likes

Can I also ask, would it matter if there are a few terms used in one type of English even though the story is written mostly in the other? I grew up using British-English but still use a few American-English words when story writing/talking etc…(:

1 Like

This would also not count against your score, as the words are still correctly spelled for British-English.

2 Likes

Thank you! (:

Thank you for clearing this up! :blush:

1 Like

@Melani3 I’m aware that the 2 main characters and the situation they are stuck in have to be shown in the first episode but is it ok that one of the main characters doesn’t know about it until after the first chapter?

1 Like

@Melani3 Theoretically, does the second person have to be real? To put this question into perspective, say for example a person with anxiety is stuck with their own negative thoughts and feelings in “human” form. Would this count as, say, a second MC? It’d be like a ghost following the MC around, more or less—but the ghost isn’t actually there.

3 Likes

Wondering about this as well, please! @Melani3 :slightly_smiling_face:

As long as there are two characters, as stated in the rules, the story will qualify for the contest.

The “realness” of both characters is up to you!

9 Likes