Announcing the Stuck With You Writer's Contest!

I’m sorry if I came across as I didn’t think you cared, it was more about the don’t sweat it comment. LOL

1 Like

Then I’d say you just need to be patient and wait. There were lots of entries for this contest so if I had to guess they likely have a lot of stories to potentially get through. There’s a reason they always say to give them 3-6 weeks in between the deadline and them announcing contest winners and this is part of that reason. It’s a contest with lots of entries, it might take them a bit to get to everyone who qualifies.

Oh., I see, no worries then :’) I was just trying to comfort anyone who didn’t feel like there was still a chance, because I’ve been there in the past sweating it lol. Sorry, my bad.
Honestly, though, I do believe all stories, regardless of reads and retention, should at least be read by the judges. I know it means more work than the current system, and I don’t actually have a solution as to how they could fix it without affecting anyone in the community or judging team, but I think people would feel at least a lot better if their story was read (regardless of results). At least, personally I would knowing the effort at least counted for something (although a win would be better :’))

2 Likes

Honestly that was what killed me because they actually claimed they were giving 8 weeks for the DL contest and they chose winners in less then 4, and my retention on my DL entry was even better with a 67% for 1st chapter and 90-91% for the remaining 7 chapters. I find it hard to trust Episodes time frame when it comes to contests. LOL

It would be awesome if they at least told you, your story didn’t qualify or something. Instead you’re just left hanging trying to guess what they are doing.

1 Like

Yes, that! It’s a nice surprise for winners, but man, the anxiety, especially after all the work that goes into stories. I know it differs from person to person, but creating just three episodes alone takes a lot out of anyone’s day for weeks, and that’s just basic directing and writing, not to mention any stories with art or overlays or advanced directing, Just knowing that the effort is worth it and that each and every entry had a chance to at least be viewed somehow would make it all a lot better.
Maybe if they gave a chance to recommend some entries by the community, not the usual shelves but for purely contest entries :thinking: I know there’s a lot of hidden gems out there that might not get the reads or retention but would if they were given attention.

1 Like

I know I started a feature request for small author only contests.
I definately am happy to see most of the higer read entries in this contest are from authors with under 100K reads. I just hope most of the winners are.

1 Like

That’s very kind of you :blush:
I know a lot of those I have on this list from a contest support group I had on Instagram (actually, change of subject, if you enter the next one when it’s released, I’ll probably join/ set one up, so let me know if you’d like to be part of it! Same for anyone reading this) are small authors, and their stories are incredible. I really hope to see at least one of them win, but if I had to choose, it would be so so hard lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Honestly I appreciate that, but I am pretty much done after this. I plan on writing a 3 chapter story on struggling to be a small author on episode ( maybe cliche) but it’s almost like a goodbye episode story. I have around 15 stories on this app, and the last 2 were contest stories, I already buttoned up 2 of my stories, I am going to write this last one and just be done. 15 stories + 5 years = 60k reads just isn’t worth it anymore. I currently write on a different app and I have already started making money immediately. I loved the coding aspect of Episode, but everything seems to just be more and more discouraging.

1 Like

You need to reach top 100 of your genre to be reviewed. They didn’t mention retention or number of reads. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Actually they do say 100 reads, the top 100 gets automatically reviewed.

1 Like

Whether your story is eligible for a contest is independent from whether ur story gets reviewed or not.

1 Like

It’s where the hyprocriscy of episode is real, my contest entry has over 100 reads almost 3 times the amount required but it has not been reviewed. If they review stories with at least 100 reads then according to their own statement my story should have already been reviewed (a while ago) either that or they need to rewrite the requirements to get reviewed.

1 Like

I think you’re confused. Having your entry “reviewed” officially refers to it having visibility on the app. Generally you need to be ranked 100 or above in a genre for this to happen.

Whether your contest and entry is judged and read by episode depends on ur reads and retention. They did not mention that your story has to be “reviewed” officially for it to be judged.

2 Likes

It’s the third time that I’ve joined a contest. My first 2 times, I didn’t get reviewed in the time frame of the contest even when I had more than enough reads and I hung around the top 100. I don’t seem to understand that either, but I’d say don’t write to win this. Just enjoy the process and everything else because the chances are still small when you get a review. The DL results showed a lot of disappointment too when there were only/mostly big authors chosen while there were other amazing entries.

3 Likes

I was under the assumption directly from Episode as well as other community members that contest stories are not reviewed the same as everyday stories. Everyday stories need to rank within the top 100 to be reviewed (which is super funny considering a story isn’t even supposed to make it in the top 100 unless it has been reviewed and approved) but that is a totally different “Episode” no pun intended. (actually, I totally intended it)
Contest stories even according to the creator’s contest post I pasted from Episode states a story must gain at least 100 reads before it is reviewed.
Now let’s get really real here for a second.
If your story is not reviewed the likely hood of it being seen in the community is literally a million to 1, if you go on the app right now and look at recently updated stories under all user stories there are at least 25-30% of the SWY entries on there, The likely hood of your story getting read by the community is a shot in the dark of it even being found, unless by accident, a r4r, or by self-promotion if you’re lucky. The stories that are reviewed and trending have a better chance of at least placing on the contest shelf because they are able to gain reads and maintain a retention rate over stories that aren’t even able to be found because they have not been reviewed therefore they are not allowed to trend.

1 Like

I don’t write to win, there is no way of beating out the larger authors with their followers, but it would be at least nice to have your story get some sort of recognition from the community, I know all about the disappointment in the DL contest, my entry had over the required reads, and my retention for the chapters were at or above what episode required to move on. I feel like they ended that contest too soon, it was supposed to be 8 weeks, and they ended it in under 4 I believe.

1 Like

The entire contest grading rubric is to make it fair. Doesn’t matter if you’re a large or small author. They use percentage to calculate the reader retention. In fact, it’s easier for small authors to rig their retention since they can just get their friends to read all their chapters and get a high retention. I rly think it’s in favour of small authors.

I had a DL entry that I poured my heart and soul into. I had over 30,000 reads around the time contest results were announced. I didn’t win. Does that mean I had a bad story? Did I not have enough reads? Was my retention bad (fyi I had retention in the high 90s for episode 2 onwards)? None of the above. I simply didn’t address the theme clearly. That’s why I didn’t win. I really don’t think Episode will go out of their way to rig the game and make sure big authors are the only ones who get the best treatment. Look at the winners for the R&R contest.

Let me clarify, I’m not a big author. When I started the DL contest, I didn’t even have a following. You don’t need to be a big author to get reads. I joined so many reading lists, promoted my story on Reddit and Instagram, created smart gem options, and slowly it started gaining attention.

I also know some of my friends who didn’t win DL, but got featured later on, on other weekly shelves. And many of them are small authors too. If your story is good, Episode will reward that.

Let’s try to spread love instead of hate, and be happy for authors (no matter big or small), who come up with amazing and creative stories.

5 Likes

That’s awesome you were able to gain a following, and it’s great that the stories were used in other shelves, I never said stories were bad, and I certainly do not spread hate to other authors, I never read any other entries in the contest, nor will I, I don’t think anyone has a bad story, I think people have different methods to writing, and the fact that they write and publish regardless of how popular their story becomes should be proud of whatever they produce. I think there are plenty of amazing stories episode doesn’t even pay attention too, which is understandable because there are a lot of stories on the app they can’t pay attention to all of them.
I don’t think episode rigs their contests but I also don’t think they follow through as they promise. I simply feel that way because I think they ended the DL contest way sooner then they said they would. This isn’t about DL though, this is about the SWY contest, and what their post regarding contest says.
Everyone has their own opnion about contests and that’s fine, I wrote on episode for 4 years without entering 1 contest. The only reason I entered the last 2 is because they fit a story idea I had already had in mind and had started the basics of prior to them announcing (IE. characters, covers, plot) I just got lucky I never published either of them prior to them announcing them.
I personally don’t enter contests with the expectation of winning, I enter because I either wanted to write about the theme or had an idea when announced. I also feel like contests should be a way for smaller authors to get noticed on the app. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. Either way oh well.

Tbh plenty of stories that don’t win end up on a shelf later on. Been there done that.

In any case, a large following doesn’t guarantee a win. Imo, it’s even harder to win if you have a large following as the first chapter can be read by a heck lot of people but many of them not liking that particular story and the retention dropping. (Not that I would know but it seems logical to me.)

Now if we could all let this thread be about people sharing thoughts about SWY entries and keep it lighthearted and welcoming, that would be great :sparkles: hugs to you all fellow authors

1 Like