Any questions about Asian Cultures? We will try to help you!

and also that not all asian girls are named mei, chang, cho, ling, and all the other stereotypical bullshit LOL. literally we can have normal names too

9 Likes

But yes, asian girls can have other names as well.

This is off-topic but I might have used Mei as a MC name…

4 Likes

Well to be fair, Mei, Chang, etc are also normal names. It’s just that some Asians have only English names, some have both (like myself), some prefer to use their Asian-language names, etc. I find that a mistake a lot of people make is that they don’t know the difference between Mandarin, Korean, and other Asian languages so they give a Korean-American a Chinese name, or a Chinese-American a Korean name. They just make it up.

I’ve come across this stereotype but in my experience, the authors assign small dark brown eyes and dark skin and insist readers cannot change the skin color or eye color “because the character is Asian” - like huh? I mean, it’s different if it’s a character with no CC but to give limited CC and stereotype all Asians as people with small eyes, dark eyes, dark skin is just like… dude, you need to get out more. There are so many colors across Asia.

But my Number 1 pet peeve is the misuse of languages when it’s done in an attempt to be cool rather than a necessity (like for example, if the character only speaks that language, or if characters are deliberately speaking in a foreign language so someone else around won’t understand). I’ve spotted so many mistakes and it’s so cringeworthy I eventually stopped reading. I mean, at least get someone to check for errors (not Google Translate) if you really want to use it. Plus, if the language is character-based, they have to use romanization with translation anyway, so what’s the point?

13 Likes

Exactly. And even among just the Chinese ethnicity, for example, there is light skin, dark skin, medium-toned skin, neutral, rose olive tones, hazel eyes, light brown eyes, grey eyes, dark eyes, etc, etc, etc.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for this thread.

A Malaysian here. :raising_hand_woman:
We have mixture of different races in one country, thus we are really diverse in these.
If any of you wants any information on Malaysian culture, people etc, feel free to ask me anything.:wink::grin:

9 Likes

Which state are you from?

3 Likes

Wait… are you a Malaysian too?! Where are you from??
I’m a typical Northen girl😁

3 Likes

Do you have IG? We can chat there :grin:

2 Likes

Wow, Borneo!!! :blush::smiley:
No, but I have a group chat here with other Malaysians. I’ll invite you there. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’m Asian (Filipino), and monolids are rare for us. We are also a lot more diverse, people say I look like I’m Chinese, Mexican, Indian, Puerto Rican, etc. it’s kind of amusing. We also tend to have Spanish last names because in the past Philippines was colonized by the Spanish, so we have Spanish ancestors, and the languages are also similar too. There are some Spanish words that are the same as Tagalog but sometimes different spelling.

9 Likes

Most Filipino that i see in Youtube, news, etc… They’re beautiful. And the country is beautiful. I have yet to go vacation to Boracay :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

@DayBlxssxm which country are you from? :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m half Japanese and half Chinese.

7 Likes

I grew up around the world so even I haven’t been to Boracay, but my parents say it’s very beautiful there so I hope to visit it one day. :laughing: Only problem with Philippines is it’s so hot and humid there and I prefer cold climates. :confounded:

3 Likes

I see… Btw haven’t i tell you that your pfp looks so much like Elizabeth Olsen? Did you make it yourself?

3 Likes

Yes I made it myself and oh I didn’t know that. :rofl: (I’m changing it soon.)

3 Likes

Same it’s hot here too unless it rains. Lol

3 Likes

It’s beautiful you don’t have to change it :blush:

2 Likes

I actually have a question. I want my main character to be Japanese, but I’m unsure what skin tone and eyes would be best to accurately represent her. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Ink, by the way.

2 Likes