Any questions about Asian Cultures? We will try to help you!

This is so cool!

1 Like

south asians are called “brown people” along with middle eastern countries and Africa which I just wanted to mention

4 Likes

Question, I’m doing a Korean story and I would like to know what Koreans say while/after they bow and what they say before and after the eat a meal

@Pollexi @K-santa (Sorry if you don’t want to be tagged.)

Do you guys know anything? I’m not familiar with Korean culture.

2 Likes

It’s fine thank you!

1 Like

What do you want to know specifically? I could help out:]

1 Like

No, I apologise. I saw a post created by you about you living in Korea so I thought you could have helped, I just thought that you wouldn’t like it because I tagged you.

2 Likes

You dont need to apologize, im always happy to help! but was the problem solved or what did u want to know specifically?:blush:

2 Likes

Yes, the problem was solved. But thanks for saying anyways! :))

2 Likes

thats great!:blush:

2 Likes

Hello! I have a couple characters who are American, but are the children of Japanese immigrants. (Not super well-developed characters yet; I’m still just getting ideas.)
I was wondering if you may have some general writing advice? For example, if there are certain stereotypes to avoid (besides the ones you already mentioned, I suppose) and also if there are any cultural norms non-Japanese writers tend to gloss over that maybe I could consider adding? Sorry this is such a vague question, but thanks for offering to help us!

2 Likes

I’m going to honest that I’m not the best person when it comes for tips but I’m still say some things to add in to your story.

• Adding the tragic backstory that happened to the parents, like how they struggled in the society, they couldn’t interact with anyone, how they were treated differently because they are minorities. (Unless your not getting that deep into history, as well keeping it Episode friendly.)

• Yakuza. (The Japanese mafia.) You could have them maybe involved or associated with them. (Again, this is more of tips to make it unique but that is your choice.)

As for stereotypes, I can’t think any other ones apart from the ones already named. (If I think of anymore, I’ll add them on.)

2 Likes

Okay, fair enough! I was just curious if there were certain dos or don’ts in your opinion. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thank for this thread I have character in my story named Katsumi he’s sorta of player in the story but he’s also Buddhist what types of foods do Japanese mostly eat?

2 Likes

There is a variety of food in Japan. Some that are commonly known: sushi, tempura, noodles, teriyaki.

We eat vegetables, fruits, rice, noodles, fish, meat etc.

If your asking what do we mostly eat, I think that depends on the family. I usually have rice, soup (I think miso soup is one because it is common) and main dish with either fish or meat and including vegetables.

(I’ll add on to this comment if I think I made a mistake or want to add anymore.)

4 Likes

Okay thanks :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Bump!

1 Like

another thing that i think needs to be cleared up; Asians born with monolids don’t get double eyelid surgery to look “white”, they get that surgery so they can look like other Asians with double eyelids, or double eyelids will help them see better. we are NOT trying to look white!

5 Likes

I am one of those Asians without a monolid.

4 Likes

also, i just wanna drop it here real quick that a lot of Buddhists are vegetarians!

5 Likes