Any questions about Asian Cultures? We will try to help you!

Hello there! Can anybody here help me with Malaysian culture : )?

2 Likes

Why are all asians cute asf?? :sob: :heartpulse:

I think @pqstiche, can help you with Malaysian culture.

1 Like

I’m not smart، And I’m Asian.

1 Like

I’m also Malaysian but I had my own skills

1 Like

Bump!

Hey! I’m just planning a romance story and my LI is inspired by Henry Golding. His mother is Malaysian and his father is British so I want to ensure that not only do I capture his features perfectly but I also want to understand how his upbringing may have been influenced by his mum. He was born in Betong, Sarawak. Would you be able to help me? x

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this! I had three questions;

1. What are the major religions in East Asia? I’d appreciate if you could give an overview/insight of how they work.
  2. What are some Asian episode assets(features, clothing, background, overlays, animation, sounds etc) that we should be handling with care and/or would be risking cultural appropriation if applied on non-asian characters or locations?
  3. The blurred lines between south Asia and East Asia in some regions; how do you feel is the best way to represent/write that?

Thank you so much again, don’t feel obligated to answer them. You are free to skip any/all of the questions that would be exhausting for you to answer or don’t think you have the qualifications to do so! All my stories are more or less located in Asia as I’m Asian myself. However, I do have my struggles understanding different cultures at times. This would be extremely helpful if you did<3

1 Like

Hey,
So I’m going to start with saying that I am not Asian. I have no family or friends who are Asian either so I am incredibly naive to the culture, which is the main reason that before I write a story about an Asian character, I want to ensure that I do them justice.
I can attempt to answer your questions, but my answers will purely stem from information I have found online, so I apologise if anything is inaccurate. I would appreciate if there is anyone else who can support my answers and happy for them to comment.

1. The main religions for East Malaysia are noted as Islam, Christianity and Buddhism. Although Buddhism appears to be the lowest of the three. Not sure what you mean about how they work? Do you mean in Malaysia or generally?
  2. I’m still fairly new to writing in episode so I am not 100% in recalling what is available for Asian characters within episode. From my research a traditional clothing would be a “Baju Kurung” for a woman, which I don’t think we have an exact item for. Also the “Kebaya” is mentioned. As it’s his mum I would expect her to dress somewhat traditionally but I suppose I also want to highlight that they live in England and his father is English so as long as it isn’t offensive I could imagine her wearing long dresses/skirts and tops with long sleeves (bright colours)
  3. I’m a little clueless on this. They will be living in England and will have been for quite some time so I expect this to not be an issue but please correct me if you think I’m being ignorant.

Thank you so much for your help. I’m trying to create my LI, are you able to help with skin colour, hair colour, general facial features?
x

Hey! I am extremely sorry with my late reply. I am actually no longer active here, and no longer a writer here.
I am excited to see more upcoming writers like you wanting to write stories revolving a Malaysian, or half-Malaysian in your case :blush:

Unfortunately I wont be able to help you for a long term :frowning_face: . If you are interested, just pm me. I may not reply you immediately, but I will definitely give a reply within a week. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

There are a few Malaysian in here too. You can reach out to them too if you are interested, or wanting a speedy reply in these.

I wish you all the best in your story writing, and I can’t wait to see more Malaysian representations in Episode stories :blob_hearts:

1 Like

I know that you said that not all Asian people (my MC is Japanese) don’t have monolids? I used the eyes female generic eyes for her, because I kinda based her off of Sana from Twice who has double eyelids. Is it okay that I used those eyes? Also, this question is super dumb but does someone need a close relative (for example like a mom) who has double eyelids to have double eyelids or can it also be a distant relative?

Thank you for having this post up to help people! And if anyone needs help with Indian culture, I can help!

2 Likes

hi there! using female generic eyes is fine! i’m an east asian (vietnamese) that doesn’t have a monolid.

as for your other question, i think that it has to be your mother or father that has double lids for you to inherit that trait. for example, most of my family has monolids, but since one of my parents have double, i inherited that. : )

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the help! : D :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Very helpful thread!

1 Like

bump

1 Like

Tehe I’m from Thailand

I have a double eyelid, my right eye is slightly smaller but that’s easily fixed by mascara.

• Not all Asian’s are smart. I feel like this is a misunderstanding, as I have seen this but no matter who you are, anyone can be smart.
    [/quote]
    I feel like I’m super dumb but apparently i’m smart somehow

• “You all look the same.” I’ve heard this a lot. This is more controversial but there is more countries than just China. There is Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia, India, Japan, Thailand etc…
    [/quote]
    My family looks nothing alike so…

2 Likes

Hello, I’m really sorry for the late reply. I’m not as active on the forums lately.

1. So, on this question, I did quite a lot of research and I’m not fully sure if these are correct, but a lot of these sites said, Buddhism, Taoism, Shintoism and Confucianism. (The countries they included were Japan, China, South Korea, Mongolia.)

2. The Sari’s, Bindi, Mala Beads. (So far, I have only found these, if I find anymore I will add it onto the here.)
    Extra information:

1. I think that the best way of representing the less well-known regions, is to incorporate them as characters. I think writing them in the actual country/region maybe more difficult if you’re not familiar with it, this will still give representation of the country/region.

However, if you want to write about it in the actually region/country, there is no problem with that either as long as you know enough to write about it or have done enough research. This is only my opinion, so you can agree or disagree with me.

1 Like

Hi! I’d like to add limited cc for a Japanese character, a girl, and I was wondering which features I should include and which ones not

1 Like

Sure, I’ll PM you, is that alright with you?

1 Like

Of course! Thank you!

1 Like