Any tips for drawing hair (ibis x)

I’ve kind of been struggling with drawing hair that looks realistic, I was wondering if anyone had some tips or could tell me how they do it?

Thanks a bunch xx

4 Likes

Ink or limelight?

Both

1 Like

Well for most of the covers that I have made, I usually take a picture of an actual episode character and trace the lines of the hair in the color of the hair. Then I will use the color dropper thing and fill in the whole hair useing it(but obviously keeping the lines visible) then in the places where I think shadow should go, I will darken the main color slightly and fill in the shadows!

Hope this helps. This probably isn’t the best advice but anything helps right?

5 Likes

Yes thank you!

1 Like

Hey, so for ink and limelight, i use mostly the same technique. I use about 4 layers. First layer is the base, second layer is tracing the lines of the hair in a darker shade than the base. Then the third layer is made of the highlight areas in strokes, using a slightly lighter shade of the hair colour. Then the 4th layer is highlight again but use smaller strokes and use a lighter shade and then if u want, u can change the layer to ‘add’

Idk if that was helpful… but yh, thats how i do it. :blush::blush:

4 Likes

@Cassandra_Dean you made a hair tutorial some days ago, right?

3 Likes

I did :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Where at?

1 Like

People who wanted it pmed me for it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ahh can I pm you for one? I really need it :joy:

Of course

2 Likes

Could I pm you for one as well? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah go ahead :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

hey can I pm you too?
I really struggle shading hair haha

1 Like

Sure! You guys don’t have to ask :sweat_smile: just go ahead and do it :joy:

1 Like

Hi, Although seemingly no one needs help anymore here I have a nice tip for hair:
In IbisPaintX there’s a brush called Round Brush (Curve) which is great for hair. You can just draw strokes with it in bunch of different colors you want and then in a new layer add highlighting and shading to give it depth

Example:

Here :arrow_up: I did exactly that-- not too Episode style, but it looks cool, just a tip.

3 Likes