Any tips needed ASAP?

If any of you need any help at all, especially people who have just started.
I’m sure there will be plenty of people here ready to help you.
No one wants to loose a raw talent :slight_smile:

It would be great if you could include photos of your problems so solving them can be easier.

2 Likes

This is a great thread :wave:
I have some helpful tips for beginners:

1 Like

Thanks! I’s really helpful even for me and I’ve been an author for 2 years now! I can’t even imagine how much you just might have helped beginners! :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, helping is a passion of mine, it’s my favorite thing to do :blush:

2 Likes

Hey. I’m new as a writer and i have one question. It might sound stupid but… I’m using the point system in general .There are 2 love interests in the story and in one moment i want to continue the story based on the reader’s choices. And here is the question : How to continue the story with the preferable LI ? I mean… I have to write two different stories after that with every one of the LI or i can use some magic label/code :smiley: to become a main character and continue the story with him? Sorry if I sound stupid or you can’t understand me. :slight_smile: Thanks.

It’s not stupid at all! And a while ago I was confused as to how do that aswell. I used the if/else thing.
For an exaple how it woeks, let’s do ti with love interests.
So 2 friends talking here…

ANNIE (talk_excited)
So who do you like?

JANE (talk_awkward)
Well,

(And here I input a choice.)

choice “Jake”{

gain choice_jake
}
“Max”{

@pause for a beat
}

Now let’s take a scene where they talk again
This is where we use the gain thing

if (choice_jake){
ANNIE (talk_excited)
So remember how you said you like Jake?
}
else{
ANNIE (talk_excited)
So remember how you said you like Max?
}

And depending on the choice the reader made it will stay like that.
I can feel that I didn’t explain quite well, so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Div8rU8AA&t=436s
That’s Joseph Evans and he has a lot of episode tutorials and in this video he explains what I just told you.

Thank you! I’m using the if/elif method for several choices but i didn’t know i can use it for choosing permanently LI. Thank you so much :heart: You saved me.

1 Like

Hey,it’s me again! I hope anyone can help me. So I have problem with the if/elif method. In second episode the reader must choose between 3 options for clothes and it looks like this :
Choice 1 - classy
gain be_classy
Choice 2 - sassy
gain be_sassy
Choice 3 - boring
gain be_boring
And in third episode there’s a scene with the LI based on what the reader chose in second ep. And that’s the problem.
It looks like :
if (be_classy) {
Blah blah blah
blah blah
blah
{
elif (be_sassy) {
Blah blah blah
kissing and blah blah blah
{
else {
blah blah blah
{
And it’s mixing the choices I mean… uh i don’t know how to describe it. I tried it from the mobile app and it doesn’t matter if i chose 1,2 or 3rd choice in second ep. in 3rd ep. the story continues with the scene from choice 2 (where it’s elif). When i wrote the script and press the “Save and preview” button i don’t get any errors and it saves it. I hope you can understand me because this is really frustrating and disappointing. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Hi! So I tried your issue in my story and for me also no errors appeared and it didn’t work. I have no idea. Is there any way you can change your if/else into 2? because I’ve never really tried with 3 of them. It’s really the same issue when I tried. if and elif just mix togheder. I don’t know how to help I’m really sorry.

I can try. I read in other “helping article” for the if/elif method that if i reset the story progress on my mobile app it will be alright,but still there’s the problem. I followed every step from Joseph Evens’ video. The only difference is instead of finishing with ‘else’ he finished with ‘elif’ again and it was alright. I tried that too but i still had this problem. I will try with only two choices but I wanted something more interesting I mean …with more and meaningful choices. This problem is really getting on my nerves. :smiley:

I believe you. I’d be very annoyed aswell. I’m planning on starting making the points sistem in my story. It seems fun, but I’m not sure.

I’m using it in my story but I didn’t think of using it in this situation. :smiley: It’s easier for me with the point system.

Hello, have you tried resetting your story progress?

Link on how to: HOW TO: Reset Story Progress + Bonus Stuff :blob_sun:

Also, make sure your { and } are right.

Example:

if (be_classy) {

} elif (be_sassy) {

} else {
}

I see you’re using the gains method for a dressing game. If you’re using gains, you need to include three separate yes and no choices for each of the three outfits. The choice name and option method is better for a dressing game. Can read more here about it: https://www.dara-amarie.com/remember-choice

1 Like

I’ll try it again, thank you. :slight_smile:

Okay it’s me again and i have a problem again and it’s getting on my nerves. In one of the episodes the reader have to choose with who of the LI wants to go out and so the choices are with label. Then i want to give the reader choice to choose the outfit. It looks like this
label dress_for_LI1
if (dinner_with_LI1){
blah blah 3 choices
choice 1-casual
choice2-classy
choice3-sexy etc. everything is okay until it comes to the second label for dressing for LI2 . It looks like this
}
}else{
3choices again blah blah the problem is with the label. I don’t know where to put it. I can’t put it inside the else or in {} and when i put it like this
if(){
blah blah blah
}
label dressing_for_LI2
}else{
blah blah
}
There’s an error saying this label can’t be at the end of a branch. Can someone help me? Idk if i explained it correctly.

Hi! So, I’m not sure what exactly you ment, but I see that you’re using the if/elif/else. And it’s not quite like you’ve done it. Here’s an example from mu script:
@SC is think

label hair_coloring

SC (talk_excited)
Okay what color!

choice (HAIR_COLOR)
“Purple!” {

@SC is tinker_loop_rear

@SC is primp_brush_hair

@SC changes hairColor into Punky Purple
} “Pink!” {
@SC is tinker_loop_rear

@SC is primp_brush_hair

@SC changes hairColor into Pop Pink
} “Green!” {
@SC is tinker_loop_rear

@SC is primp_brush_hair

@SC changes hairColor into Grievance Green
}

SC (talk_excited)
So what do you think?

choice
“This is the one”{

DA (talk_excited)
This is the one!
}
“Try the other ones…”{

DA (talk_sheepish)
Try the other ones…

goto hair_coloring
}

@pause for a beat

if (HAIR_COLOR is “Purple!”) {

SC (blush)
I love my | color:purple |purple hair

} elif (HAIR_COLOR is “Pink!”) {

SC (blush)
I love my| color:pink | Pink hair

} else {

SC (blush)
I love my| color:green | Green hair

}

DA (talk_flirt)
I love you.

SC (talk_startled)
What??

DA (talk_apathetic)
I was talking to my | color:blue | blue hair.

You just have to change it so it’s okay with you script. I’m not sure if this is the type of thing you need… Is it?

If you Can send me the choice about her dares, then I’ll be able to help more.

I can’t right now,cuz i’m texting by my phone but i’ll try to explain it again :smile: So the whole thing looks like this:
FemaleCharacter (think_rubchin)
(So, who i want to go out with?)
choice
“Go out with LI1”{
gain dinner_with_LI1
}
“Go out with LI2”{
gain dinner_with_LI2
}
*She talks with the chosen one and have to get herself ready and it looks like:
label dressing_for_LI1
if (dinner_with_LI1){
“Dress_this”{
gain dress_normal
@FC changes into ***
}
“Dress this2”{
gain dress_normal
@FC changes into ***
}
“Dress that”{
gain dress_sexy
@FC changes into ***
}
Narr
Is this what you want to wear?
“Yup, go on that date”{
}
“No,let me take a look again”{
goto dressing_for_LI1
}
}
And here comes the problem, i don’t know where to put the label if i put it like this :
}
label dressing_for_LI2
}elif (dinner_with_LI2) {
}
It says i can’t put label at the end of a branch. Neither i can put it inside the brackets or if there’s a if/elif. It’s confusing me. :confused:

FemaleCharacter (think_rubchin)
(So, who i want to go out with?)
choice (date_choice)
“Go out with LI1”{

insert text here
}
“Go out with LI2”{
insert text here
}
*She talks with the chosen one and have to get herself ready and it looks like:

label dressing_for_LI1

if (date_choice is “Go out with LI1”) {
label dressing_for_LI1
@pause for a beat

FC (think)
What should I wear?

choice (THE_DRESS)
“Dress_this”{
@FC changes into ***
}
“Dress this2”{
@FC changes into ***
}
“Dress that”{
@FC changes into ***
}
Narr
Is this what you want to wear?
“Yup, go on that date”{
}
“No,let me take a look again”{
goto dressing_for_LI1
}
@pause for a beat
}
}
label dressing_for_LI2
}elif date_choice is “Go out with LI2” {
label dressing_for_LI2
And blah blah blah
}
Maybe try like this? Gains can mess up your whole script, so I kile to use the remembering choices thing

I’ll try it, thanks. But i have problem only with the second label and it’s devastating. I beaten myself with this for like 1 hour and every time i tried something (and it doesn’t matter if i tried it yet) it was showing me different error. I removed the second label to save the story and an error popped up, telling me that the “elif{” doesn’t have a matching bracket, but it had so i jusy gave up for today and asked for advice here.