Anyone available to review my first Episode story?

community

Hiya everyone! :grin:

So, as you can probably tell, I’m pretty new to the Episode writing community. I’ve been on the app reading others’ stories for years now and I thought I’d give a go at writing myself.

Recently, I’ve been beavering away at my new story, America, which is unpublished at the moment. It’s about a girl called America who finds herself forced join the gang her father, Tariq, had escaped not long before. Once Tariq finds out, he decides to formulate a plan to disassemble the gang once and for all.

I’m still not quite ready to open it to review, since I’d like to finish the third episode, then go over everything I’ve written once again so that it is at its best when I do open it for review. However, I was wondering if there was anyone who is interested in giving it a review once I’m finished with it. I can give you a review in return, if you’d like, although my opinion isn’t all that professional! :joy:

I was also wondering if I could gain any tips and feedback from the POC community in particular, since I want to tackle the issue of racism in my story, but I’m not a POC myself, so I really, really want to get it right.

Besides that, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for a first-time Episode writer. Are there any tips on how to make your episodes look professional? How can I be sure that my plot is coherent and moves smoothly? Anything I need to avoid? I honestly have no idea, since I’ve been staring at this story and testing it so much that I can’t tell anymore! :joy:

Thanks in advance,
ArcticFlower :cherry_blossom:

Heya, I can give some of my advice.
These are like a rule of thumb to me:

• First impressions are important! You’re first chapter is what will attract readers.
  • Cliff hangers are the best way to go. (works on me lol)
  • 15-20 minute long episodes is a good length (about 1,000 to 2,00 lines)
  • Working hard on directing makes such a difference and makes it look more professional.
  • Having choices that actually are important.
  • Character and world building.

What helped me with my story flow is pre planing your story and also writing multiple episodes at the same time so they are coherent to each other and relate back to the other if that makes sense.
I’m not a POC per say but I have experience racial discrimination (I’m half asian) and maybe help with that.
I’m not much of a fan of gang stories but your summary seems pretty cool so I’d be happy to review it :slight_smile:

Thanks, @Atreus! I will definitely take that into account as I edit my episodes. :slightly_smiling_face:

As I said, it’s going to be a while before I’ll be ready to share it for review. Meanwhile, I would be grateful if you could clarify one thing for me: Do you have any methods of pre-planning you like to use that seem to work well? I’m really, really bad at planning and I was thinking that maybe it’s because I’m doing it wrong or not thoroughly enough. :thinking: Maybe if I adopted a method, it would solve that. Any recommendations?

Some basic planning would be:

• Plot: Key elements that you want in your story that you feel definitely need to be in your story. What you think should be kept a mystery till a certain part of the story.
  • Setting: Where and when its taking place. So you could have it set as a modern day mafia or 1920’s noir mafia.
  • Characters: writing key points like key characteristics about their personalities, backstories or even basic stuff like age, gender, race, sexual preferences etc. (I would highlight their names to determine whether they are protagonist, antagonist, main or side characters)
  • Chapters: Good to have a goal number of chapters. And having the key elements that happen in those chapters.
  • Choices: What kind of choices you want to happen in your story and how they’ll effect the story and character development. If you plan to do really intense branching then you have to make sure that they still come together and don’t interrupt the story flow.
    Not sure whether you’re using limelight or ink but you got to take into consideration of what they offer and are also limited to (eg. Limelights lack of clothes) and this is as much as I can think of atm :sweat_smile: :smiley:

I’d love to review the story for you! After reading it I can give you necessary advice.

@Atreus No need to worry. Any kind of advice is much appreciated right now. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Writer_Jess thanks for the offer. I think I’ll post the link for sharing on this thread when I’ve gone over everything. :grin:

I’d love it if you could post your feedback (positives or negatives) on here, if it’s not too much. I look forward to hearing what you think. :slight_smile:

ArcticFlower :cherry_blossom: