Anyone else tired of slut shaming in stories?

Goddamn, you are not better than someone if you don’t like casual sex, and I’m so tired of the stories implying it!

I read one the other day; and I’m not going to name names; it was an enjoyable story, I finished it in a couple of days, but the MC seemed to think they were better than other women because they saved sex for relationships. Like, okay, I get it. One point they even said “But i’m not like other girls” and I genuinely gagged, it was hard for me to keep reading. It’s especially annoying when LI is a player and MC judges all these girls for hooking up with him, but "Oh he’s simply misunderstood!"

Am I being too dramatic about this? I’ll admit, when I was younger, 13 or so, I was probably like this myself, so I kind of understand younger authors doing this, even if it bugs me. But older authors should know better, and seeing a story where the women don’t hate each other just because… they’re… women (?) or because one is more into casual intimacy is such a breath of fresh air. What do you guys think?

25 Likes

slut shaming, most of this stories are about a girl been in a love triangle, or sometimes more than, or just porking half of the high school.

2 Likes

I agree. Honestly it is so annoying and it highlights a flaw in today’s society in my opinion.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but that doesn’t mean you have to basically bully someone else for having a different one that you.
Honestly I am Christian and I take sex very seriously, but that doesn’t mean I go around and shame those who sleep around.
Plus when a boy sleeps around in a story it’s fine but when a girl does it she is a slut.
I thinkstories need to shop slut shamming. It’s disgraceful and offensive to some people

13 Likes

Exactly!!

1 Like

No, you’re not. It’s irritating and reinforces female hatred towards one another. No one should be pressured or made to feel like they have to have casual sex, but this weird projection made by older authors is so clearly petty jealousy and I’m tired of it being a tool for their personal motivations.

8 Likes

“I’m not like any other girl” I hate that, like that’s letting down other girls

2 Likes

Thank you. I feel like everyone has a choice in how they want to live their life to an extent, and if someone just wants to do things that you don’t believe in, then that’s their business.
People are too quick to judge someone’s entire persona over one thing

5 Likes

I don’t like it. The MC can be a conniving, self-righteous and straight out mean person, but we’re supposed to believe she has a higher moral compass because she doesn’t engage in casual sex with multiple people. You can just have a character say “eh, I prefer to have sex with people who I’m in a relationship with” without being so sanctimonious about it.

Nevermind that her attitude about casual sex always changes when the hOt LovE iNteREsT enters the scene. But somehow it’s different for her than every other female characters just so we know she’s ~not like other girls~ ugh

11 Likes

Nevermind that her attitude about casual sex changes when hOt LovE iNteREsT enters the scene

100%. So tired of it.

When the MC thinks she’s such a nice and likable person but shames the mean girl for having sex a lot, saying things like “wHy wOuLd yOu liKe hEr?! sHe’Ll sLeeP wiTh a bRooMstiCk iF sHe hAd tO.”

2 Likes

oh my god yeah, to me it sounds so narcissistic. Confidence is good, but it doesn’t mean you have to drag down others to make yourself feel better about your personality -_-

3 Likes

I hate the MCs abrupt change from “you’re such a slut” to “I want the manwhore bad boy”. Like that’s an unrealistic coupling for a MC that’s all “wholesome”. Even more, I hate when a religion that prohibits sex before marriage is thrust upon the MC as her reason for being a virgin then enters bad boy and she’s all “I want to sleep with that guy”. Like really? Guess that religious ideology went straight out the window, huh?

4 Likes

Sometimes it isn’t even about how much sex these other women have. You’ll see a MC see another young woman (possibly younger than herself) wear a short skirt, be friendly with some man, and MC just mentally tears her to shreds - while we’re supposed to be on her side mind you.

4 Likes

Exactly; what is up with this culture of women putting down other women?

2 Likes

Insecurity makes for cruel people, I suppose.

1 Like

I find the MC (or other characters) shaming women for being sexually active (or not) very frustrating because that is a personal choice that ultimately does not reflect on who you are. You are not better (or worse) than anyone for deciding to partake in casual, premarital, vanilla, wild, or no sex at all. I find it even more frustrating that it’s literally only the female characters who are shamed for being active. It’s never the male characters who are shamed (although sometimes they are shamed for not being active, which isn’t fair either). Unless you plan on acknowledging that shaming people is not okay, then why shame them at all? As long as the character is being safe and is happy and comfortable with their choice to be active or not, what does it matter? Is it really relevant to the plot?

5 Likes

I’m so sick of it!! Let others do what they want with their bodies. It doesn’t affect you in any way shape or form. If a women wants to have sex in or out of a relationship then let her. Idk why people care so much!

2 Likes

Like everyone have their own life with their own decisions and choices and not everyone thinks the same like you and just because they think differently than you that doesn’t mean you’re right and they’re wrong and it’s not just slut shaming, I’m tired of also seeing the MC’s best friend pushing the MC to lose her virginity and be more sexually active and making the MC feel embarrassed that she is still a virgin :woman_facepalming: ok by “you” I meant " the MC" lol I don’t know why I used “you”, sorry :sweat_smile: :joy:

4 Likes

You’re absolutely right.
I dislike MC’s (or other characters) who slut shame. If it’s save and both (or more for all I care) parties want to. I don’t give a flying fuck about who’s having sex with who.
And how many people they’re sleeping with.

Woman should support each other not tear each other down, because of simple things like this

1 Like

This!

It reeks of internalised misogyny, especially the ‘I’m not like other girls’ rhetoric/when it’s used to make us hate a ‘mean girl’ - like no??? A girl can be as sexually active as she wants and still be a well-rounded, interesting person…

It seems to be mostly young authors doing this, which is such a shame - it’s such a horrible way to talk about women, especially from such a young age. It’s important that young people unlearn stuff like this.

5 Likes