APP: All stories by episode have LGBTQ+ options

I don’t know if this is the correct place for this post. :sweat_smile: On the app I’ve noticed many stories done by Episode and not the community. (where the authors name is it’ll have Episode|Romance instead of Community|Romance ) very few offer LGBTQ+ love interests. I know some do but most don’t. And on Pitch perfect you had no choice other than to be straight or bi. I don’t want to be that person but I’m going to have to be. I think the LGBTQ+ community would be very thankful if all episode stories (not community stories) had at least one LGBTQ+ love interest. I won’t read a story unless it has a female love interest because I’m not interested in men and I feel like I’m missing out. (I know that’s my fault but would a heterosexual person read a homosexual story?) And something I’ve noticed on social media is that many LGBTQ+ stories make the character bi only. It’s easier to edit but its not overly hard to have a sexuality question because bi and homosexuality are two different things.

I don’t mean this as a rant. Words don’t always go across as they are intended. It’s just something that’s been bugging me and many other people for some time.

EDIT: I tried on a new story to make a BI option and with 2 male and 2 female LI’s it’d be so insanely hard to do but it would be doable. Especialy if the story had one male and one female LI. The more you add the harder it is.

22 Likes

I write stories. My first was female LI only so I decided my next would have both. It’s so much easier than I expected. I just feel like any story done by Episode should be all in elusive. I know the mc gender choice is really challenging but surly lis should be for everyone.

2 Likes

i get why you might write this but there are still some people with religious beliefs who are not exactly for this and we need to respect that. but if they aren’t doing it cause they’re lazy i think thats not really an excuse.

4 Likes

I don’t know why they don’t do it. All of the other apps that have a similar idea, i.e apps that tell a story, they pretty much all have LGBTQ+ options in every story.
Regardless of the religious beliefs they should provide LGBTQ+ love interests in all stories. I have nothing agains them and I respect their beliefs but they still can’t treat differently or exlude a race, gender, sexuality, etc because its discriminative.
This post is just to raise awareness of this because me and several of the people I know who use episode and are LGBTQ+ aren’t happy about this. I shouldn’t have to read a male LI that I find uncomfortable just to read the story. If a heterosexual (straight) person had only homosexual LI’s they wouldn’t read the story, so I’m well within my rights to make a post bringing this to light.

5 Likes

I think the original post is only referring to Episode official stories, not community stories (hence the “by Episode”, rather than “on Episode”). The app’s actual creators have voiced support for the LGBTQ+ community and have run Episode as a secular company from the beginning, so even if there were legitimate religious reasons to discriminate, they wouldn’t be relevant in this case.

2 Likes

I support this idea. While I don’t normally read official stories anyway due to the low quality of the writing, it would set a good precedent for other writers who are debating whether to include diversity and let LGBTQ+ people know that they’re welcome in the Episode community. I’d also add that the LGBTQ+ love interests should play as big of a role in the story as the cisgender heterosexual love interests, rather than just being an afterthought like they are in most of the featured stories where they do exist.

2 Likes

oh that makes so much more sense. sorry :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I myself am bisexual and very open about it. However, when authors make stories that say ‘LGBT! Choose your LI!’ I think that those are cheap shots at having a diverse story because the gender of the love interest doesn’t affect the story AT ALL. It usually just changes the name from ‘Daniel’ to ‘Danielle’ or something like that. In the stories I write if I want my MC to be gay, I make them gay, and I leave it at that. If you don’t like it, don’t read this story. And I think we need more stories like that, where sexuality is secured and not an option.

2 Likes

It’s simply preference. I am lesbian and don’t feel comfortable reading a male LI. In my stories I have the option for male and female LIs. All I’m saying is that the stories Episode release should all have LGBTQ+ options so we can all read the story, not just people who are attracted to males. I know it’s my choice not to read them but most of the apps that are Episodes competition already have female and male LIs in all of their stories. I don’t think the chose you LI are “cheap shots at being diverse”. I do it because I want my readers to feel comfortable reading a story with their own sexuality. There is also a lack of LGBTQ+ stories where you can be lesbian. Most seem to make you bi which isn’t a problem but I don’t want to read about a male LI. I’m not the only one bothered as many of my friends are but they don’t seem to want to do anything about it. This was me saying my idea because it doesn’t seem right that the stories Episode post; very few have LGBTQ+ interests. I’m not talking about the community stories. They should have their own freedom. It’s simply the ones Episode make.

3 Likes

I’m not Bi or Lesbian but I do support this. It’s kinda boring with only straight charactersHowever you can’t really persuade episode to include LGBTQ in ALL stories by episode? Because some religious/story plot may not be suitable for LGBTQ options and may even offend people if they include that.
But they should try to include more LGBTQ options cauz I think it’s kinda unfair to you guys now that 89% stories characters are straight.

1 Like

Thank you :grin: Maybe not all of their stories but at least some. There are hardly any. I know there are some in the community but thats not this post. It’s only the ones Episode post.

1 Like

Well, not to cause drama. But I read stories with LI as female, although I’m straight. Not a big deal, just use imagination.
I agree, Episode itself could do it your way, but community stories… Well I almost never include gay/bi characters in my stories, just because I don’t have this experience to be sincere. I think a lot of authors as well.

1 Like

You can read any story you want, you shouldn’t cause drama with that :slightly_smiling_face: My post is about Episode stories. Like I’ve said the community should be able to write about whatever LI they like. I don’t have any experience with male LIs but I think love is love and I can at least try to include as many people as possible.
I’ve said before that I don’t feel comfortable reading about a male LI and that’s my choice. I don’t mean anything negative I’m just not attracted to men in any way. But this post was about the Episode|Romance or Episode|Fantasy etc, not the Community|Romance or Community|Fantasy etc.

This should be implemented as they are preaching diversity. #support

2 Likes

Hahaha yay! :grin: Thank you!

1 Like

I feel like the amount of LGBTQ+ stories are very limited and most assume you’re heterosexual which is wrong because obviously not everyone likes the opposite gender so it makes people feel left out which really isn’t nice because no one should feel discriminated against! The majority of stories I clicked on to read which I thought had LGBTQ+ content since some don’t mention it in the description ended up as straight stories so I also feel like they should make it clearer whether it has LGBTQ+ content or not.

1 Like

Best post ever!

1 Like

I’m really flexible in personality, so I never really cared much about what gender the MC or LIs were, just as long as the story was somewhat interesting (I mostly only read Episode featured stories for the gem choices)

But I did find it annoying when the male Li was that stupid cliche, stereotypical bullshit. And when I play a female MC I tend to lean towards a female Li as well. But when I play a Male MC (havent so far cause…you know how episode stories are…I would much rather have a make LI).

So yes, LGBT+ options would be nice.

In my story where you are supposed to be a stand in for the MC, you have the choice between multiple Lis of all genders. Whereas in my other story where the characters are already set and you are not supposed to be a stand-in for the character, there is a set sexuality.

Seeing as how Episode interactive stories is all about YOU (you being the Mc and whatnot) I think it’s not fair to push a certain sexuality and allow the choice to choose.

In stories where the reader is not the MC, i think it’s fine and I don’t mind.

TOTALLY SUPPORTED!!
I think not only episode storys but all community writers should do the same.
I failed to read some story’s that sounded interesting just because of that. It just… It is not cool… I don’t like doing male customization, neither for a LI or just a simple character.
To me is definitely an eliminating and determining factor for story’s.

Hi! I totally agree with what you are saying, While I’m a straight girl, I think episode should include an LGBTQ+ (Sorry if that’s not right :sweat_smile:) love interest to make sure all readers are included.

I noticed you mentioned writing stories that included both a Female and Male LI. How did you manage to write this? Only, I want to be inclusive in my next story :smile:
Any advice on how to portray these characters without being offensive would also be greatly appreciated :heart: