Are cliffhangers important?

Almost all the stories finish with cliffhangers, but are they so important? Would you love interest in a story that has normal endings? And if you write a story and in that moment of the story nothing surprising happens/ you had the suspense moment earlier in the episode how do you end the episode?

3 Likes

Well, for one of my stories at the end of it I had a twist and I guess it was kind of a cliffhanger.

2 Likes

Hm, I’m not exactly sure though…

1 Like

cliff hangers are "somewhat’ important.
no, not every chapter has to end in one but it’s really important to have one once every 3-5 chapters and a “major” plot twist every 10 or so chapters with additional story lines. without them, readers often loose interest and find it as a reason to stop reading.

6 Likes

I’m trying to add cliff hangers into every episode. Sometimes it can be hard but luckily I have a kind of story line where it’s possible.

3 Likes

I think you should have cliffhangers at the end of every episode, or at least some thought that impacts the storyline in some way. You want your readers to keep reading. You don’t need major or huge twists or cliffhangers, just something that adds a little suspense and is relevant to your storyline.

1 Like

Hmm, to me, they aren’t that important. Personally, I do add them to every episode I have, but I don’t need to see them in every chapter lol. I would say, however, you should add a cliffhanger in the first-three episodes of your story to keep the readers intrigued.

1 Like

I’m just gonna say I do sometimes enjoy cliffhangers but I feel like it’s not neccessary. If te plot is interesting, I’ll keep reading, not because something happened at the end of the chapter and I need to know more.

But it also kinda depends on the genre, it it’s horror, then cliffhangers are a plus but if it’s romance it’s not that big of a deal to have it ot to not have it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.