‼️ are readers bothered if they can’t customise the m/c?

Some people are really annoying and will complain about it :joy: like one time someone complained to a author that he /she was not gonna read her story cause he didn’t like the MC nose :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

I actually really like that mindset

1 Like

lmaooooo

1 Like

When I read INK stories I would leave the story if there isn’t CC cuz too often MCs in the stories looked the same. But now that I am reading more Limelight stories I find myself skipping the CC entirely.

I’m just going to answer your last question, I’m not too sure about the answer for the first part, sorry! But as for making the script remember what the reader typed, it’s part of the script needed for readers to actually type something in.

I’m not sure your experience with the Writer Portal but I’ll explain how to do it anyway.

In the right panel, where there’s your preview option and your library, there’s a section called “Script Templates”. Inside there, you can choose the “Avatar - Name Input” as a template base thing. It gets your something like this:

label first_name_input

input What’s Your First Name?|What’s Your First Name?|Done(FIRSTNAME)

if (FIRSTNAME is “”) {

NARRATOR
You do need a name...

goto first_name_input

} else {
continue
}

Instead of “What’s Your First Name?” you can type your own question like “What’s your nationality?”, just make sure to write it twice like it does in the template. After that, what is saved in the “FIRSTNAME” will be how you can recall it later in the script. So you can replace anywhere it says “FIRSTNAME” with “NATIONALITY” and then later in your script you can write something like:

YOU
My nationality is [NATIONALITY].

And when the reader reads your story, instead of the [NATIONALITY] part they’ll see whatever they typed. The square brackets is so the script knows that it’s not something you’re just typing, that you want to access whatever’s stored in NATIONALITY.

This is a little long but I hope that helps!

2 Likes

I don’t mind! Many others don’t either but there’ll always be readers begging for customization. I think CC is overrated, because there’s a real beauty to keeping the characters the same. If you have a good plot, people will like your story regardless. There’s a story for everyone on Episode, and it’s your personal choice. Happy writing!

1 Like

thank u sm !

1 Like

CC isn’t a need for stories, a lot of people don’t mind not having it and most don’t use it when given the chance. You could always do limited cc so they can only customize certain parts.

1 Like

It depends on how I’m feeling. If it’s a fun story where YOU can make choices and stuff then CC is a good option to give the reader. However, when playing as another character, I think it’s irrelevant to include CC, because that’s how the author imagined the character. People who stop reading stories because there’s no CC just amuse me, how your character looks isn’t the main idea of the story, and it’s worse when they complain in the fan mail! You don’t get to customize the character and choose the name in a real book, yet you read because you like the story itself, right?

1 Like

exactly!

Yes I feel offended if I can’t fully customize full CC makes me happy

1 Like