Are we allowed to recreate movie scenes?

I am unsure if we are allowed to recreate movie scenes :sweat_smile:
I mean it like I want to make my characters go around the city and perfom silent plays in front of security cameras. And I want them to perform famous movie scenes, like for example the one from Titanic. Does it fall under copyright? Should I rather make up my own scenes? Thank you :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hmmmm
 maybe you can, but spice it up a bit. Change the scene around in your story so it doesn’t seem like you’re copying from a scene in a movie.

1 Like

But I want it to be obvious, that they are “playing” a famous scene from a movie, you know? They do it for fun, it isnt like its a part of the plot, if you know what I mean

1 Like

Ohh!! Then yeah. I think it’s okah to use a scene from a movie as long as you reference it :two_hearts:

I rather submitted a ticket :slightly_smiling_face: dont want to risk anything

Yea. Just to be safe.

1 Like

@Jeremy you can close this (if you know answer to this I am all ears lol :smiley: )

1 Like

I can’t give you a definitive answer for this but I think that @Tyler might be able to. I’ll leave this thread open til he can get back to you :smiley:

2 Likes

I submitted a ticket once for the exact same question. I was informed that I can’t publish any scene that would recreate one from a published work unless it was published before 1923. They told me that I can make a passing reference via dialogue for up to 5 lines as long as it is not presented as a scene of the movie, so I guess it’s the same case as for song lyrics.

If you get a different answer to your ticket, please share :smiley:

1 Like

So basically no, right? :smile: I will tell when they’ll reply

1 Like

Yeah, I even asked if I would be good with a “similar sounding” movie title that would only hint to the existing one (since I’ve seen this in some stories), but that was a no too :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Welp :sweat_smile: I was asking because for example in one TV show, I saw that they “recreated” the scene oh Captain, My Captain from Dead Poets Society, so I thought that they probably didn’t buy the rights for 2 minutes long scene lol it’s HIMYM

1 Like

Hi Tessx,

This is something you’ll have to submit a ticket to us for!

Happy writing :wink:

2 Likes

Already did, thank you tho :grin:

1 Like

Closed, thanks for the info @Tyler and I hope you get your answer from support @Tessx. Thanks! :grin: