Are you allowed to reference episode in your story?

In my thriller contest entry the whole plot is based around Episode as an app, it’s very fourth wall breaking. However I just submitted an overlay that had the episode logo in it and it got rejected because I referenced episode in image, so that got me thinking about if the rules actually allow me to reference episode as a company?
I’ve looked over the rules and they don’t mention anything about copyright outside of celebrities.
I’m slightly worried that I have to rewrite the entire plot of my story so soon before school starts!
Are you allowed to make rip offs that obviously reference a copyrighted thing? In one of my other stories I referenced doctor who but made it “doctor whomst”, and called Ikea “Yikesia” and nothing happened, but I’m not sure if that’s allowed? If it is I might just reference a made up company called “Epidose” or something

no. you can reference episode but the episode logo is COPYRIGHTED thats why it got rejected :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure it is allowed to reference Episode, I’ve seen this in many stories that were featured on weekly shelves.
I would avoid referencing other companies though or anything that is copyrighted, especially if you are working on a contest entry. Recently I had 2 rejected overlays: a “Noodle search” image and a very lame green mask, which I drew myself because I didn’t want it to be obvious it was a Hulk mask. Man, I’m still wondering how the reviewers recognized it, that drawing was horrible :smiley:

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is not about story creation. If you have questions about anything, feel free to PM me and make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics. :wink:

I’m sorry. What?

Episode rejected your overlay because it has their company name and it’s copyright? It’s their company thooooo.

Oof. This reply came off as really sassy and rude. I didn’t mean it like that

Waaait a second. If it’s copyright, then does that mean they’d sue themselves for a story with their logo in it?

no :woman_facepalming: because the story belongs to the author not episode. plus a story with episode’s logo would never happen because they’d reject the overlay/background for copyright reasons

I don’t know though, there are laptops with the episode logo? Maybe just make a text overlay that says episode?

No I just replaced the apple logo with the episode logo so that I wouldn’t get copyright lmao, but I did anyway so shrug