Art Block is a terrible thing

Yeah, me too. Often when I have to do a good job and the result has to be good I’m just not able to do anything anymore.

The thing is, often I think it will not get better and that makes me feel worse.

That totally makes sense.

Thanks for all these ideas, maybe this will help someone one day.

This is something that always, ALWAYS bothers me a lot. The only thing that kinda makes me feel better about this is that maybe someone will always be better than me, but as long as I create something unique, something that makes at least one person feel something. I made something different. I made something coming from me.

2 Likes

This is something that always, ALWAYS bothers me a lot. The only thing that kinda makes me feel better about this is that maybe someone will always be better than me, but as long as I create something unique, something that makes at least one person feel something I made something different. I made something coming from me.

I think that’s a good mindset to have. Art is something you should enjoy making and even sharing if you feel like it. Also if you do try to compare yourself to someone, try comparing yourself to who you were the day you made your last artwork and not someone else today. People often say that we are own worst critic like it’s something bad. But it doesn’t always have to be that way.
For example, if it weren’t for the fact you were critical towards your art 2 years ago you wouldn’t have made the improvements you have made , today. And maybe that improvement could be so gigantic to the point it almost seems unrecognizable or so small you can only tell. Improvement is still improvement no matter how big or small.

Also Oh my god my grammar and spelling is atrocious, I should really edit that

2 Likes

I totally agreee with you! It’s really hard to stay positive, because I always want the result to be perfect, to be the most amazing thing ever, but I always disappoint myself with that kind of mindset.

I actually also think that making art (and not giving up) needs a lot of patience. Improving and getting better at it needs a lot of patience in general because probably most of the people are better than you at the beginning, but you still have to have the will not to give up. Even if you’re really talented or you at least improved a little, while doing every single work of art you need to believe in yourself, because at the beginning of every art I make, I always think that it is never going to look the way I want it too and that I’ve already failed, even though it just looks weird at the beginning and could become a masterpiece at the end.

To a lot of things in life there are always 2 sides. Like here, it can motivate you like you said here:

but it can also make it harder for you.

Oh, your spelling and grammar is awesome, idk what you’re talking about. Mine is :no_mouth: Sorry for the late reply btw…

1 Like

Bump :heart:

Bump

Bump :hearts:

I’ve been through lots of creative blocks, and I had a particularly bad one this summer that gave me some insight.

I love being creative. I love writing, I love drawing, I love making music, all that stuff. During the summer, I felt like I couldn’t do any of it. I felt like every single drawing I made was really bad, my stories didn’t make any sense, and I just kept writing cringy lyrics and 4-chord songs (no shade intended). I kept trying and trying and it was all just complete trash.

One thing I’ve found that helps is just to completely step away from all of it. It was very hard for me because I love immersing myself in my work, but it’s crazy how much it changes your mindset. This past summer, I was lucky enough to go to the beach. I hadn’t been in years, and I had always wanted to go back. While I was there, I didn’t think about any of my creations. I just laid out in the sun, swam in the water (it is so therapeutic, if you don’t hate swimming I HIGHLY recommend), went mini-golfing, walked on the boardwalk, and even just spent some time relaxing in my room. I was only there for a few days, but it was incredible how much calmer I felt when I got back home. I was just in such a good mood, which has been kinda rare for me in the last few years, and I got my creative streak back. I started new stories that I loved, taught myself new art techniques, and I chugged out new songs. It was kinda crazy.

I know it’s a privilege to be able to take time off for vacation, but if you’re in a block and you have time, I highly recommend. It does wonders for the mind and soul.

2 Likes

You said creating is very important to you, this may be a dumb question, but what did you do when you couldn’t create? My hobbies are very precious to me and a big part of me, whenever I am experiencing a block I never really know what to do, because most of the time I really want to create something, but it ends up being awful and making me feel pretty bad about myself.

Oops, here you already answered my question. :sweat_smile: I had not read that part yet.

That sounds awesome, I’m glad you were able to “find your way back”.

I honestly think whenever I go through art block I never know what to do… :sweat_smile: which sounds… weird…I know…

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I appreciate it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’ll try to concentrate on other things and take things slow just like you suggested and maybe it’ll get better for me soon too.

Btw: Welcome back on the forums!

1 Like

Thank you! Glad to be back :blush:

Bump :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Bump

Bump

Bump… again…

Bump

Bumppp :christmas_tree:

Maybe you need someone who wants you to make them some art super badly!

1 Like

I’m sorry, I don’t really understand what you meant…

Oh I just meant maybe u need a reason to draw something. Like a story that inspires you or something.

1 Like

Yeahhh :thinking: :sparkles:

And I be so many people would love something from you!

1 Like