Artists can’t charge money for episode art right?

As long as it’s in your own art style and not taken from anything episode related yep. You can be inspired or use episode things as references but it can’t be using episode assets in the actual piece.

1 Like

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

np!

1 Like

I guess that kind of depends on what you mean by “Episode art”. If it’s cutouts of Episode characters, like a likeness of Episodes copyrighted property, then yes, they’re not legally allowed to profit off of that. If you’re talking about Episode-inspired art, like those done with an independent style that are created to be used for art scenes or story covers, they are completely justified in charging for those.
As far as how “expensive” some of these pieces are, I think that’s valid. Artwork is a skill, just like writing or programming or anything else. They’re creating a product, with their own time and resources, and I believe they are well within their rights to charge what they think it’s a fair price for their time and effort.

4 Likes

Ok so here is what I know:

you can sell art on episode, as long as it is NOT in episode style. Of course you can base the art off of episode characters as long as you are not actually drawing/copying episode’s art style.

I hope that made sense… haha I’m not so great at explaining this stuff

2 Likes

episode specifically says they do not validate or tolerate commissions of their property.

1 Like

Their own style of art isn’t Episode’s property unless they’re using the exact same features and style. Episode is well aware of these artists; they’ve featured stories that have used commissioned covers and the originals are still up with those artworks. If they were a violation of these terms, Pocket Gem’s legal team would have done something. Most of the artists (not all, I’m sure) are careful not to infringe on anything that would be considered Episode’s property, especially those that use their comissions as their main source of income.

So if I were to take a screenshot of a story and sell it as art, that would be a violation. Inspired works aren’t.

2 Likes

They are not supposed to, no. It is basically a copyright violation. I would just stay away from those types of artist and go to ones who look like they have their own “style” aside from episode! You can still base an art off of a character’s features (like they have green eyes, rose 01 skin, etc.) just not the episode style. That would be more of an edit which has already said you can not commission for. :blush: :cupid: :grin:

2 Likes

let’s give an example. I drew both of this but one is traced episode art the other is not. I can take money for the second one, because I drew it from scratch, even though its drawn after episode characters. the traced one I would not be able to charge money for because its traced, and if I did it would be very wrong because what you are doing is both morally wrong and kinda illegal. it’s basic art theft to trace art, now episode is fine with us doing it for stories, but not for making money on it. also personally I would never pay for traced art, and I dont get why others would,

fdfdgdg

dfdgd

2 Likes

It wasn’t against the guidelines before but now it is, u can’t sell backgrounds or drawings/edits that have episode assets in it

Moved to Episode Fan Community. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.