đź–¤ Ask A Cosmetologist đź–¤

I don’t know if anyone is interested in this but I’ve seen the subjects of beauty and self care floating around so I figured I’d give it a go. Like the title says I am a professional cosmetologist, I went to school for two years and have been a licensed professional for coming up on four, I’m not a dermatologist and am for sure not qualified to give medical advice but I do know a lot about hair and skincare and would like to share that knowledge with anyone who’s interested. If you have a question or need advice in the realm of hair, skin, and nails (I’m not licensed in nails but I did study all three) feel free to leave a comment below.

21 Likes

I have really bad bags under my eyes

1 Like

Are they puffy or discolored or both?

Thanks for this thread! :blush:

If you don’t mind me asking, my hair is really dry and brittle towards the bottom, I’ve tried different amounts of conditioner but nothing is helping. Am I best off getting a hairdresser to just cut it off?

2 Likes

The longer your hair gets the longer the natural oils from your scalp take to travel down to the ends, so they get brittle and split, regular trims (I recommend every 8-12 weeks) keep hair strong and healthy and I know it seems counter intuitive but they can also help your hair grow faster because it’s not breaking off at the bottom. I would recommend going in for a trim regularly.

6 Likes

Thanks, I actually need to get a trim so that makes sense :blush:

2 Likes

Is it true that it’s bad for your skin to spend too much time on your phone or is my teacher lying to me? :eyes::eyes::eyes:

1 Like

Not exactly. Phones collect a massive and alarming amount of germs. If you’re holding it up to your face, touching your face after touching your phone, all that bacteria, grime and oil is now all over your face clogging your pores, congesting your skin and causing pustules, comedones, and black heads. Keep your phone clean, keep your hands clean, shouldn’t be a problem.

2 Likes

I need an answer once for all :sob: Is dermarolling good or bad?

3 Likes

I get this question a lot, it’s complicated. Although there have been a few studies that suggest micro needling could have an effect on collagen production and help serums and creams better penetrate the skin there’s no conclusive evidence that it does nor is there any conclusive evidence that it can aid in treating wrinkles, scars and other skin conditions. That’s just the professional equipment found in doctors offices, commercial dermal rollers (like the kind you can but on amazon) have much larger needles than the ones found on professional equipment, they can only superficially puncture the skin and if the needles are too dull they can tear and bruise it even when used correctly. In my experience anything you can buy in a shop is known to do more harm than good. Full disclosure as an esthetician I am only legally allowed to preform topical services so I do not perform micro needling services, I have had clients come in with fucked up faces because their favorite beauty guru recommended some 40$ contraption insisting it gave them better skin and it is horrifying how wrong things can go. In short, I wouldn’t recommend it.

4 Likes

Thank you for the answer :grin: (And the thread)

1 Like

You’re welcome, I’m happy to see people asking questions. Just so you know I can’t really give you a “once and for all” answer, research is still being done, technology is constantly advancing so “I wouldn’t recommend it” is more just my answer for right now. Also micro needling/derma rolling isn’t really in my professional purview and if it is recommended as a treatment option to you by a physician obviously that opinion should carry more weight than mine.

3 Likes

I need tips on getting rid of under eye bags and darkness under the eyes plz

1 Like

Do one or more of your parents or grand parents have under eye bag/dark circles?

1 Like

Idk about my grandparents, but my mom has bags under the eyes and darkness. It’s not too bad tho

1 Like

Would it be too personal to ask what your ethnicity is?

1 Like

Nah. I’m black

1 Like

I’m thinking this might just run in your family, bags are fatty tissue deposits and a lot of the time they’re just genetic, as for the dark circles melanin is a blessing but it can make you more prone to hyperpigmentation under your eyes. There are things you can do - like make sure you’re drinking enough water (8 8oz glasses a day), getting your full 8 hours of sleep, no smoking, no drinking, put a pair of spoons in the freezer over night to help you de-puff in the morning, be mindful of your under eye skin it’s thin and delicate and bruises easily, try to refrain from rubbing your eyes - that can lessen the effect but without dropping serious coin on cosmetic procedures I’m not sure you can completely get rid of bags and dark circles. There are products like brightening serums and under eye creams too and if you give me a rough estimation of your budget I can recommend some but I think your best shot is a color corrective concealer.

2 Likes

My mom won’t let me use makeup yet, but thank you for all the tips!

Sure thing, glad I could help. I forgot to mention wear sunscreen, sun exposure plays a huge role in dark spots, make sure it’s a sunscreen for your face - the skin on our faces is different thank the rest of our body and Banana Boat won’t cut it.

2 Likes