šŸ–¤ Ask A Cosmetologist šŸ–¤

(I donā€™t have any inquiries or anything. Just wanted to say - This is such a helpful thread, a creative one at that. Iā€™ve been certified in professional makeup for about two years now so itā€™s always great to meet a fellow comrade in the cosmetology field :hugs:

1 Like

Same, babe, nice to meet you. :black_heart:

1 Like

Iā€™m considering getting my eyelashes permed. Can you tell me whatā€™s involved, and how often I would need to do it to maintain the curl?

Sure thing. Itā€™s a lot like a hair perm - we donā€™t use the same products but the process isnā€™t that different - your lashes get cleansed of oils and debris usually with makeup remover, your esthetician will pick out an appropriate curling rod/pad (the thicker the rod the softer the curl), then brush and secure your lashes to the rod making sure there are no cross overs or tangles and each is fanned out separately, then we apply the perm solution, cover your eye with a lint free pad - Iā€™ve also seen people use a bit of gauze or plastic wrap- to generate warmth and help the solution, then we apply the fixer, then a bit off moisturizer, then youā€™re good to go. It usually takes around 45 minutes and can last between 4 to 6 weeks, it depends on the system.

2 Likes

Thanks. My lashes are crushed by goggles each night. Theyā€™ve lost their natural curl. The curling device doesnā€™t work. They go back to the way they were in a few minutes.

1 Like

Discolored and kind of deflated

What color are they? What is your ethnicity? Are they actually shallow or do they just look that way because they are darker than the rest of your face? How old are you?

1. Purplish

Iā€™m very pale and 14 years and I have purple and red lines

How do you feel about face mists like Mario Badescu? Iā€™ve heard people say that theyā€™re pointless and others say that theyā€™re necessary. Not really sure what to believe at this point. :grimacing:

The skin under our eyes is very thin and in fair skinned people especially can be pretty transparent, the discoloration is likely just the veins in your underage area peaking through, making sure youā€™re getting enough sleep and drinking enough water (8 8oz glasses a day) can help to keep it from getting worse but Iā€™m sorry to say there really isnā€™t a permanent solution. Color correctors and concealer can help superficially, there are skincare products that Iā€™ve seen work to lessen the effect, I can recommend some if you want to give me a price range.

1 Like

It depends on the face mist, whatā€™s in it, what it says it does and what you want it to do for you. Aloe, for instance, is good for your skin in proper doses. Itā€™s cooling, calms redness, and it has moisturizing properties. If there is an active amount of aloe in your face mist it could benefit you to use it after washing your face if you tend to get red or after a mask or before applying a moisturizer.

I think if youā€™re looking for a product that actually does something you have to assess your skincare needs and do your research. As far as the Mario Badescu mist goes Iā€™ve seen it cool and calm redness, I donā€™t think youā€™re going to get much out of it in terms of moisture, Iā€™ve heard itā€™s a decent setting spray on the fly, and in general having a lightly damp face can help emulsify other skincare products like moisturizer but a mist of just water would also do that. To sum it up - if what I listed sounds like something youā€™re interested in Iā€™d say go for it. Also Mario Badescu mists smell good and tends to feel nice on the skin, I think itā€™s like 7$ and if thatā€™s your little luxury I would again say go for it.

3 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll try concerler

Hello @LiaMina! I have very thick hair and the ends are starting to split (I go to the pool and seaside often). I love my long hair and I donā€™t want to cut them, so Iā€™d like to know if thereā€™s another way to repair damaged ends. Iā€™ve already tried products like masks for damaged hair even though I didnā€™t really believe they wouldā€™ve helped me and in fact they didnā€™t work.
Another question, I straighten my hair often, is this bad for my hairā€™s health? Thank you in advance!

The longer your hair is the long it takes for the natural oils from your scalp to travel down to the ends and keep them hydrated, eventually they dry out and break off. You might lose a bit of length the first time if the damage is really bad but keeping up regular trimmings, every 8 - 12 weeks, is going to change the look and feel of your hair and ultimately keep it healthy and strong.

Heat tools are perfectly safe for your hair as long as youā€™re using them properly. If youā€™re using the straightener at the right temperature, your hair is completely dry, and youā€™re using the correct heat protector (water based or mist protectors on lightly damp hair that you let dry, aerosol or hair spray like protectors on already dry hair) concentrated at the ends of your hair, itā€™s totally safe.

Edit: Itā€™s also okay to say fuck it and not cut your hair ever again, itā€™s your hair and thereā€™s no shame in choosing not to do something youā€™re uncomfortable with.

2 Likes

Hello, I have a big problem with dark and white heads on my face.
Iā€™ve tried all possible treatments with salt, warm water, eggs, honey, turmeric, lemon, sugar although they work form some time but I still get black heads which are hard to get rid of and pimples which leave spots on my face

Thank you so much!

I have to preface this with a diet thing because healthy skin starts with a healthy diet, limit sugar and junk food, drink enough water (8 8oz glasses a day is the goal) and make sure youā€™re getting all your vitamins and minerals.

If you want to control acne topically you need to be using products with a retinoid, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, products that are going to break through dirt and grime and decongest your pores. Home remedies like the ones you mentioned can help but arenā€™t typically effective for long term use, also never put sugar on a breakout, youā€™re just making a feast for the bacteria on your face, itā€™s going to feed and spread out.

Do you know your skin type?

Hi, well I have some kinds of white heads on my face, under my eyes, on nose and I donā€™t know the name of them, they have very weird name, and do you maybe know how I can get rid of them. They donā€™t hurt, itā€™s just so annoying, and how I can get rid of black heads? Some treatmens? Black mask maybe? Your opinion?

Uh not sure how to answer.
My skin colour?