Attempting to Avoid Cliches

Hello everybody!

I’m relatively new here, and this is my very first post. Intimidating to be truly honest. Anyway I have found myself in a bit of a pickle in creating a story.

I would like it to be popular, as everyone else does, and I’ve scoured the forum to see what people enjoy reading and combining it with what I have found myself searching for to read. As a result I came up with a general idea that’s turned into a fully-fledged cast and story branch.

My idea is a fashion reality tv show (think Haute as Hell), which I understand is quite cliche on it’s own, but rather than the intent being that the MC needs to win (which they want to of course), the intent of the story is to allow the reader to insert themselves into the main character as well as a viewer of the show, to meet and discover the individual personalities and stories of why the others are on the show. At the moment there are 6 characters that can be romanced (half male, half female) and one that is available to be romanced near the beginning of the story, but discovers he is gay and does not engage romantically with the female protagonist further. However, while there are romantic interests available, the protagonist is more than welcome to carry on without any of them. (Shoutout to the aces out there! And anyone else who’s sick of romance)

In the fear of copycats, I can’t give a whole lot more information, but I want to pose a few questions.

1. Would you read this story?
  2. What do you like about the idea?
  3. What do you dislike about it?
  4. What can I do to improve this idea?

If you could help me out with this I would be very grateful. Thank you very much, and I look forward to getting to know the community!

I think it wouldn’t be too cliche as long as you make it unique! It sounds like a good idea and will definitely attract readers! They love that sort of thing! The only suggestion I have is that you be careful to not make it like other stories that are similar. Good luck :heart:

Thank you for the response! Do you know of any other stories that are similar? If I can read them, I’ll be sure to avoid doing the same thing.

Just the general kind of reality shows such as: Bad Boy Bachelor Island and Haute as Hell as you said.

Trademark… If you’re up for the idea I have a reality TV show if you’d want to write it with me! You can PM if you want to know more!