Author added waiting period to continue reading (or pay gems)

Ok, I was just explaining my opinion, I replied to your comment so I could clear this up. You guys really think I am getting sensitive over this I am not but if people are allowed to be outraged with this I am just as allowed to give my opinion in the most direct way I know. Sorry that I didn’t spare feelings? I didn’t even talk about PTSD so don’t bring this into it. And yes it is ok to support authors without using money, I do it myself. But don’t complain if authors add things to make it easy to support them.

I was not targeting anyone as some like to think. I was saying to anyone out there they have to understand things cost money whether we like it or not.

Anyway, I think that is all so people don’t think I am being sensitive I will leave it here.

I will do that as well. The thought of it maybe helping is nice.

It is not episodes fault you can’t afford gems, also how can you not mentally stand episode featured. Like don’t be dramatic.

but if you are struggling to make ends meet, why are you on episode all day?

I just wanted to clear up that cptsd and ptsd can make you bedbound for a while or even make a normal life impossible. No Attack. Just thought I would explain.

And yes things cost money. With a book you expect that but not on the app you have been using for years for free.

I maybe misinterpreted your comment as angry and accusing. I do have problems with seeing emotions just through text.

Ok, my mistake. I agree and understand on how that might be hurtful to you. I am direct and some people don’t like direct people. But I just don’t see them changing it.

agreed, I love supporting authors and i don’t mind the early access since it’s on non-published stories. but putting it on stories that have already been published? that’s frustrating, this app really has become all about gems and it’s annoying :unamused:

4 Likes

I understand. I have problems with talking online most of the time. Glad we cleared the misunderstandings.

1 Like

I agree with @bakedpotato. I am also reader and author… And most of us small authors even don’t get paid. So, my story and the story of my (small) co-authors is free to read.

But at the other side… Waiting can be irritating the read, I am ‘addicted’ :zipper_mouth_face: to episode and use a lot of tickets through the day (without buying them, by the way and it also :point_right: depends on the story I read.) So an waiting-option of 11 days or a week can demotivate me to read the story further. :persevere:

2 Likes

I despise it it’s horrible but authors use it Bc they want a good ranking so they can get paid. I’m an author but I will have the worst rank ever if it means I don’t use gems!!!

1 Like

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is Episode-related. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

I agree w this, and personally I lie somewhere in the middle. It doesn’t enthuse me that there’s an 11 hr cool down because I’m a total binge reader. There have been days where all I did was binge Episode, and actually finished a few 60 chapter stories in just over 2 days. At the same time, authors do deserve to be paid for their work and nobody is entitled to free content, and I think that’s what some people forget.

It’s tricky because no matter what changes Episode makes, nobody is gonna stay 100% happy. Authors just need to adapt and roll with the punches, and sometimes that means adding features that make readers unhappy.

5 Likes

I think it’s fine if the story isn’t completely published so you get early access to the episode coming out, but if the story is done there isn’t really a point to add for « early access ».

2 Likes

I totally agree tbh. It’s hard because authors do work so so hard to write stories for us and they most definitely do deserve to be payed for their work. However, I think sometimes authors kind of work against themselves when they add these features, in this case an 11 hour wait period after every 2 episodes to a story that’s already been out for almost a year. It’s really discouraging for me, it makes me not want to read it. I’m not really quite sure how the whole payment thing for authors work, like if they only make money from gem choices or if episode pays them for getting lots of reads. I personally feel like episode should be paying authors the money they make from the ads they put on their stories and maybe from the amount of reads their story gets (maybe it does work this way, idk). I feel like this isn’t the authors or the readers fault because I think the authors feel forced into using gem choices to make money, but also hesitate knowing their readers won’t like it. It’s not fair to them either way because if they don’t do gem choices they won’t make as much money, but if they do their readers will hate it. And then the readers hate gem choices because then they have to spend money or get a less interesting story. It’s really a lose lose situation and it’s really no ones fault.

3 Likes

Oh I totally understand!! This complaint isn’t toward authors. I adore all the authors out there who work so hard so people can enjoy the app. You all are amazing!! It’s toward the episode app. Episode could so easily pay authors based on the money they make from the ads (which they put on those authors stories) or based on views. They’re a multimillion or maybe billion dollar company. They’re just selfish like every other corporate business in this world and they only want to pay authors the least they can. Which is ironic because that app would be nothing without all the authors. The ways they let authors get paid makes everyone upset in the end. But they don’t care. That’s just how they make more money. I guess we all just have to deal with it.

2 Likes

Yes I totally agree! The early access is great. Kind of like how you can pay to get an early release of a book. It supports the authors and people don’t mind paying to read early. But the 11 hour wait is ridiculous to me, especially on a story that’s already been out for like a year.

5 Likes

Exactly!! By the way I am totally against gem choices in a story, I don’t like them (maybe because I don’t have much gems… And most of them are 15+ gems. :woman_shrugging: ).

4 Likes

Ikr

1 Like

I’m right there with ya. I just went to reread a story I’ve read twice already. The third time I go to read it. Now I have a wait time of 6 days to read chapter 4. This story has been out for a long time. As I said I read it 2 times already. The wait period on stories is just another way to get money. I totally understand the authors want to make money for there stories. But what about the readers, some if us readers enjoy reading these stories but yet don’t have a lot of money. I get it for newer stories, yes it does suck having to wait 6 days or more to read the rest of the story. But an older story that has been out for a while.

4 Likes

The fact that we already have to wait up to 3 hours to get passes for new episodes then we have to wait an extra 11 hours for 2 more episodes. Most of the time I literally just start reading another story and end up forgetting about the one with 11 hours. I usually support authors by clicking the gem choices at the end but this is excessive waiting and I’m not interested enough to wait. Especially if I just started that story and I’m only on episode 2.

3 Likes

Ikr

1 Like

Thankfully I haven’t come across this in any of the stories I’m reading right now. However, if I do, It’s very likely that I won’t continue with the story. I understand that authors work hard, I do too, but I feel like this is going to turn a lot of people away. Especially when it’s put into older stories.

7 Likes