Author added waiting period to continue reading (or pay gems)

Even I just saw it. Next thing you know, episode is going to be putting early access to its app :unamused:

1 Like

yeah EA is really annoying

3 Likes

This happened to me :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

When it comes to EA then it’s already available for all community writers in writers portal

2 Likes

Agreed, but this 11 hour wait on chapters is just eve more annoying. I have seen an authors who have 8 or 9 chapters and going back to put the 11 hour wait on
3-4 chapters which is extremely annoying. Plus, this 11 hour wait thing is probably gonna get abused as the early does too in my opinion.

2 Likes

It is SO annoying. I just started a new story which I really love already but the author put an 11 hours wait after every 2 episodes!! Not even 3. Just absolutely ridiculous. I can only read 2 episodes every 11 hours. I don’t understand what this feature accomplishes other than making readers insanely mad.

1 Like

I was so mad when they took away unlimited passes for 10$ a month. I used to buy it literally every month. They had to be making so much money off of that too because I know it was a very popular purchase. But then they had to become even more greedy and get rid of it and add the new VIP thing which only gives you unlimited access to official stories. And I hate all the official stories just like many other people do so there’s just no point.

One thing I did see in my app yesterday was something called VIP Amethyst. It’s $15 a month and it gives you pass free reading on ALL stories, no ads, and 2 gems daily. Which I guess is a bit better, but it’s $5 more and all you get that we didn’t used to get for the $10 a month is 2 gems a day. Idk if I consider that worth it. And then there’s a whole other problem. WHAT IS THE DANG POINT OF PAYING $15 MONTH TO READ UNLIMITED EPISODES IF U HAVE TO WAIT 11 DARN HOURS BETWEEN EVERY FEW EPISODES. This app is making me so mad.

2 Likes

Seriously whoever that authors needs to stop no matter, she/he is just abusing the 11 hour wait and putting it on every 2 episodes. Putting the 11 hour wait on every 2 episodes is on your is going to make to lose readers!

2 Likes

I was reading an Offical Episode story the other day (to get the free gems) the story is about MC and her little sister’s mother being murdered and then them having to move to another state to live with their aunt and uncle because of it and one of the gem options involved MC’s mom last day alive it was their last interaction before she was murdered and I kid you not the options were either tell your mom you love her (30+ gems) or tell your mom that you hate her never loved her and basically f*ck you (free)… I mean wtf? I can understand they wanna make money but that was just straight up evil. Not surprisingly another Offical Episode story I read for free gems had a choice where the MC found a stray dog and the options were adopt the dog (30+ gems) or take the dog to the shelter to be put down (free) once again WTF :scream: With how disgustingly evil their choices are becoming it wouldn’t surprise me if in the future they find readers addresses and hold a gun to our loved ones head and say: save your loved one (100+ gems) or let your loved one be shot (free) :scream: They’re so money hungry now they’ll go to any lengths to get it… it’s effin crazy man lmfao

1 Like

I hate this feature with all of my heart. I’m all about supporting authors, I select a lot of gem choices and “support the author” buttons too, but THIS? It makes me want to discontinue reading the story and I can’t help it. I’m only on episode wanting to read a few of my favourites and I can’t find interest anymore because of the 11 hour wait. I’ve no problem with early access, or any other gem choices IN the story. I’m pretty sure this is HARMING the reader retention rate of stories as I’m not the only one who loses interest in a story with the skip the wait option every 3 episodes.

And some people are forgetting that most of episode’s target audience is teenagers who don’t have enough money to spend on gems, let alone enough patience.

Dear authors, add whatever gem choices you want IN your story but please LET YOUR STORY BE ACCESSIBLE as we love your stories. We WANT to read them. If we can’t read more than 2-3 episodes of your story at a time, it’s hard to get invested. WE KNOW how much time, effort, patience and even money you spend to create these stories so we want to be invested.

1 Like

Agreed, it really annoying that authors put that 11 hour wait on 2-3 episodes and some go back to their old stories and add it on a few episodes, like what the f*ck!? How is that fair to your readers who love your stories and support you through you episode journey or whatever you like to call it! Episode, you can keep your crappy EA but get rid of 11 hour wait!

3 Likes

It really is frustrating, while I understand that episode is trying to better support the authors to compensate them for their hard work, but I’m sure this isn’t the right way. The early access was still ok as I’ve waiting a long time to get a new chapter from the author, I don’t mind waiting some more.

But I don’t want this skip the wait feature in completed stories … Stories I genuinely want to enjoy.

3 Likes

Ok, I didnt like EA but I think that should but the 11 hour wait can go!
I don’t want that 11 hour wait in completed stories, I’m reading nor do I want that 11 hour wait in every 2-3 new episodes.
This my opinion, feel free to disagree.

2 Likes

Oh my god that is utter bulls#!t.

The thing is, if this is rolled out to all Episode authors instead of a select few, we’re going to be bombed with “my brother’s best friend who is a vampire mafia bad boy” stories which are shite but demand gems for the privilege of reading them. It’s hard enough trying to find a gem of a story amongst rubble these days, but if a decent author puts gem wait times on their story, that will be a hard pass from me. Which is a crying shame, because otherwise that story might have been amazing, but I refuse to spend dumb gems on stories.

3 Likes

What do you mean by this? Just wondering

I mean there are unfortunately a lot of sub-par stories out there that focus on shallow tropes because those tropes are seen as popular, but many of the stories themselves aren’t well written, well directed, well characterised, or well… anything. I would point blank refuse to pay gems for the privilege of reading someone’s bad fanfic drivel. But if the “gem wait times” feature is rolled out to all authors, I’m afraid that’s what we may get.

1 Like

Yeah, most of those type of stories have completely flooded some genres on Episode in my opinion.

I totally agree! The skip the wait feature is really the worst imo.

By the way you should really check out cece marie’s stories (eg. Wanted, Watch Me fly) they are really really unique, have beautiful directing and mattering choices!! She’s my fav author and she deserves so much more attention but unfortunately episode always promotes the romance stories.

3 Likes

I’m going to check her out!

1 Like

That’s great! I’m sure you’ll like them haha

1 Like