Backgrounds/overlay issue

So…I’ve come across some controvercial topic on the forums because different people have different opinions. Can we use Pinterest/Google photos and what is the difference between sites like Unsplash/Freepngs/etc and Pinterest/Google? I just don’t see the issue here because I believe that if they’re posted on google I can use it until I credit the person/site or just write something like “Backgrounds/Overlays credit: Pinterest, Google…” etc.It’s also not written in the rules clearly what images we own and what we don’t. Besides, it’s unlikely that I will find the first site where the background was uploaded (but in some cases I can, for example, if the imgbin shared a png image on pinterest). Oh and a lot of authors have used backgrounds and overlays for ages and so far Episode doesn’t seem to have an issue with that. Like if you’re comfortable with using a background/overlay that you bought or found on Unsplash for example, use it. But why can’t other people use Pinterest/Google images if they give credit to these sites?
P. S. For clarity: I don’t say that if a lot of other people do that then it’s right, I just need opinion/explanation because I’m really confused.
P. S. Part 2. No hate, please. I just an explanation.

1 Like

You really shouldn’t. You see, sites like pixabay or pexels are the sites, where people consciously upload free images, agreeing to the terms that they will be free to use for personal and commercial purposes and will be credit free.

Google isn’t a site, its a SEARCH ENGINE. Nobody uploads images on Google. Google finds and shows them from various sites even if you don’t want it to. Pinterest basically does the same. So, some images that it shows come from free sites, others don’t. For example, it can show you a commission work art that some artist made for their client for money. Obviously, you can’t use that and credit google: images don’t belong to Google or Pinterest. They belong to artists and creators who made them. Think of it as if someone found your story code on episode, copy pasted it and credited episode.

Some people do use copyrighted images on episode indeed. But that doesn’t mean it’s okay. Episode art approval system must be either automated or it might be human factor, but they can’t accurately check every single art uploaded for copyright with 100% accuracy. So, they also make mistakes. And at one point the art creator might find out you’re using their stuff. They will message episode and ask to take it down. Which, as far as I’m aware, episode is obligated to do.

Hope, this helps!

1 Like

So i can only use sites with pngs? Like where they provide the free download? I’ve understood the thing about Google, but what about sites with free pngs? How can I distinguish them from copyrighted ones? And which sites would you recommend? Thank you for your opinion and explanation.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it, I feel you. When I just came here, I felt completely clueless and confused with the whole copyright stuff :sweat_smile: It took some time and people to help me understand.

Png is an image format (mostly used for images with transparent background). Those sites provide jpg and others too. It can be a bit confusing at first, but those sites usually have it written somewhere in terms of usage. Unfortunately, I don’t know many of them, but I’m sure other people will comment soon to add to the list:

https://pixabay.com/
https://www.pexels.com/

If you’re looking for specifically backgrounds and episode stuff, I’d also recommend searching for some creators. I saw people on forums offering help in making backgrounds. Many creators have drives with stuff they make that you can use when following their rules.

1 Like

By the way, can I use stuff from the Episode forums?

1 Like

Forums is also a platform, where people publish all kinds of images. I think, it’ll be safe, if a person either noted it’s copyright free or you asked them just to make sure! There’s always human factor, so to be safe for sure, it’s best to double check, I think. Or if you can’t find something specific that you want - you can always create a thread on forums asking if someone can help. There are many nice people here :no_mouth:

P.S. A topic I was referring to:

(Sorry, if you didn’t want to be tagged).
These folks do some real nice editing job.

P. P. S. And here’s my own drive, to begin your collection with: EPISODE - Google Drive
There’s not much there yet, but hopefully will be more in future, ahah :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like