Bad Stories in Trending

What do you all think when you find “bad” stories in trending. Now, I don’t mean bad as in: this story wasn’t for me, but bad as in: atrocious grammar, a plot line that makes no sense/is nonexistent, bad directing, etc. (Or sometimes even all of these at once). I’m curious to know people’s thoughts. :grin:
(I also realize that my idea of what constitutes as a “bad” story is different from what others might think of as one. This also isn’t meant to offend anyone.)

13 Likes

Well… back then in 2017 most of the popular stories were like this ;-; there was a super popular story that I started reading because it was popular and I couldn’t understand why so many people enjoy it. The directing was average and it was the typical plot for an episode story. Others probably thought it was like the best story, I think everyone has a different point of view ^^ there are probably some readers out there that don’t care about Grammar directing and stuff lol

5 Likes

I kind of think, like, good for them. They basically prove you don’t need a lit degree or to be a full on gaming level coder to be successful here. The only time it bothers me is when they do the author-notes excuses. I hate author notes anyway, but I feel like people need to own what they’re publishing and be proud of it.

22 Likes

I despise these. Especially when the author note tends to take forever. If you’re going to do it then do it and get to the point. :sweat_smile::joy:

3 Likes

I usually don’t care about this, but there is this particular author that keeps publishing stories with awful grammar and writing, and she is so popular and I’m always like wtf. I read 3 or 4 stories by her, because I wanted to see if she had improved or something… But no, her stories still make me cringe :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

The fact that everyone can make a story on Episode is great. And I truly believe that writing stories in English, when English isn’t your native language, will help you to improve your English. I really try to give evert writer on Episode a fair chance. But I once deleted a very popular story because of the bad grammar and childlike dialogues. I got really annoyed by it… But it was a teacher story so the popularity makes sense haha.

11 Likes

I feel you lmao One of my old stories for example was extremely popular (I had 70k reads) I wrote it in 8th grade and the Grammar and the directing is awful . It had an eye catching cover and it was an adventure story so maybe that’s why it was popular. I Archived it tho cuz it’s pretty embarrassing :joy::joy::pleading_face::pleading_face:

6 Likes

I am fine with it. they worked for it. my problem is when its stories there actually are fanfics. Dont get me wrong I love fanfincs. but they are bot allowed on this app and I dont find its fair a bad story with porly directing get popular because its about a tv show

5 Likes

I mean, I kind of agree? But at the same time if said story is taking a spot from another story that’s actually well written I can’t really say I agree with that. Also, if a story looks like it was thrown together in five minutes I kind of have to doubt the “hard work” aspect. :grimacing::sweat_smile: Although I fully admit I’m a bit picky when it comes to things writing wise.

2 Likes

true. thought I haven seen stories of that kind in the featureed.

1 Like

I’m talking about trending. :wink:

1 Like

There are 2 stories (not going to name them of course) that have managed to get in trending. One I read for a r4r (I think?) and wasn’t impressed with it. The other one I tried to read, but wasn’t really into it at the first episode so I bounced. But it’s one I know (based on what others have said) isn’t the best written. It’s just kind of weird to me, I guess? But maybe I’m just too picky. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

But were these stories really that bad, or you just didn’t like them?

I’m picky too, so I understand that other readers might like stories that I don’t, what I don’t understand is when that specific story is like the worst thing I’ve ever read and others say it’s amazing :flushed:

3 Likes

I reread the first episode of the one (because I was honestly starting to doubt myself :sweat_smile:) and it’s not as bad as I remember (which either means I’m thinking of a different story or the author edited some). However, there are still quite a few grammatical issues and the directing is just awkward in places. The thing is, I wouldn’t necessarily call it a bad story. In fact, the overall premise is right up my alley, but the way it’s executed (the plot is a bit all over if I’m remembering right) leaves a lot to be desired I think.

Oh, I’m not denying people’s ability to like things I don’t, it’s just a bit off to me. There are stories I’ve discovered that are a hundred times better in terms of just the overall storytelling concept than some I’ve noticed on the trending lately. It’s just kind of upsetting that some good stories don’t make it up there as well as the “bad ones.”

Though, I fully admit that my pickiness does effect things and that what I find as bad might not be what others think of as bad. My English degree has ruined me because I swear I can’t do anything without mentally proofreading things. The thing is, when I’m reading on Episode for enjoyment, I’d like to not have to spend more time mentally proofreading than I am actually enjoying the story. (Though that really isn’t anyone’s fault, it’s just my brain :grimacing::sweat_smile:).

3 Likes

A couple years ago, the most trending stories were so cringy (bad boys, pregnant by millionaires, etc…)

4 Likes

Haha, I get that. I’m very sensitive to grammar, so when I read Episode stories, sometimes I’m happy that English is not my first language. I do notice some errors, but they make me distracted only when they come up over and over again. But when it comes to my language… I’m that annoying person who would point out the grammar mistake you made in a text before actually answering your question :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

When I first joined the app, I use to be really into the bad boy, a few mafia and all those really cliche type of stories. A lot of them were very basic, but I do understand why they were on the trending section. However, there was this one story about babysitting a bad boy or something that had the absolute worst dialogue, it was extremely childish, the directing was so bad that it was driving me insane. Characters were flying everywhere, the storyline made no sense. It just kept jumping from one part to another that had no correlation. Why that story was trending will always surprise me. Even the fanmail was filled with so much praises about how well written the story was when it really wasn’t. That story and the fact that all the stories on the trending section were basically all the same is the reason why I stopped looking for stories in the section. That story did not deserve my passes yet I kept giving it like one idiot :roll_eyes:.

5 Likes

I can’t really comment on others’ people directing/grammar as I know that I’m not really good at them and I need to seriously improve.
But I’ve seen some discontinued stories trending? I don’t understand the need to make trending discontinued stories and not stories that have been reviewed but they’re not up yet.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t understand this either. :upside_down_face::sweat_smile::grimacing:

1 Like

I personally am a little annoyed by it, but not much. As a new author, I really want to do well, and have perfected everything- advanced directing, grammar, every kind of animation. It took me months, and breaks my heart to see authors who just throw out stories without much care for the writing, grammar, plotline get, like, 500K reads within the first week, when I poured my soul to get that much and get 0.0000001% of that. However, I also think that part of the issue is people’s assumptions that if a story has little to no reads, it is automatically terrible. If we were all just a little more open minded, a more diverse and good quality selection of stories would be trending!

9 Likes