Be honest, if i didnt let my readers customize their character or love interests, would they be upset?

Its not that I’m not able to let them customize their character or love interests, its just that, for me, writing is about creating a world from only your mind. The way a character looks is a big part of the creation and the creative process. I want their appearance to play a part in their character and if i make everyone customizable It feels a little less like my own creation. Does that make sense? If to many readers would be turned away from my story, i’ll make them customizable. However, i was thinking I could compromise and make their character customizable and the love interests not. What do you think?

23 Likes

It’s perfectly fine to only let them customize the main character and not the love interests. It’s also perfectly fine to not have CC at all, and yes of course there will be some readers who would much prefer that you add CC or have CC for most main characters, but you will never be able to please each and every one of your readers. It’s best to write your story how you envision, for you, not for them. If you bend to their every whim, you may eventually reach a point where you no longer connect with the character(s) nor feel the story anymore.

19 Likes

Personally I like customising when I read stories as it lets me imagine my characters in the story. But that does not mean that I would leave a story just because it has no CC. I think that CC is not something that should make someone leave a story. So I would say go for it, don’t add CC if you don’t want to

7 Likes

I personally don’t mind if there isn’t any customization, because I like my characters to look like I imagined them too. Of course there will always be readers, who want customization in a story but if you just feel, like the characters need to be like they are, I wouldn’t give customization. If the look isn’t that important to you, or you want your readers to feel the storyline with “their own characters” then you can add customization.

2 Likes

I also don’t mind no customisation, I think an authors intended representation matters. maybe you could start the first few episodes with no customisation, and then after quite a few episodes maybe put limited CC? Then maybe your readers will already have fallen in love and wouldn’t want to change the look anyways :joy:

6 Likes

I totally get not wanting cc, it’s hard to imagine a character when they could constantly change per read. No cc may make some readers annoyed but remember it’s your story to tell, and no if you want to tie in a characters look; do it!
If you don’t have cc make sure to add some more options a reader could choose, such as sexuality or situations etc.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response! You bring up a good point. My biggest thought was that I want to give an opportunity to people who don’t see themselves represented in media, a chance to be represented in mine by allowing CC. On the other hand, I made my MC a woman of korean descent as I am part korean myself. I wanted to create even the slightest amount of representation for people like me, but I also want others to have their own representation. I’m just so torn haha.

4 Likes

That’s a great point, thank you :)) I actually have 3 love interests. Two men and a woman. I made sure there were LGBTQ+ friendly options. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Thats not a bad idea haha

2 Likes

I understand what you mean, well in that case, I definitely think limited CC might be the best way to go, that way readers can change a few things, but not everything. Whichever way you go though, there will always be people who will want something else or expect more from you, so do what you think is best for you and your story! (:

3 Likes

That’s one way to help represent people in media, if your worried about that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay good to know :)) thank you

1 Like

That good to know :)) i know I want to add some CC, just not sure where yet.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your input. It makes me feel better about whatever I decide. I was also thinking I could add a asian side character. So I can have my own representation, but allow the reader to customize themself allowing them to have theirs as well.

3 Likes

Representation is one of my biggest thoughts while making this story for sure! (:

2 Likes

I haven’t added CC in my story because there will be use of overlays, mentioning of their features, etc. Not only that but I don’t want readers to customise my babies because I want them to have their original features all along! If few of the readers who don’t like CC don’t want to read it, they can leave my story gladly. I say if you don’t want to add CC don’t add it! I would read it either way! All that matters to me is the plot and character development!

5 Likes

some will, people have gotten threaths in fanmail for not have CC, its kinda sad.

how much do their look matter? its ita big plot, will it only mention a few lines about how they look. are you gonna use body overlays and art scenes?

I dont care for CC, but you should thing if your story is devolpted enough to survive with out it. because many refuse to read stories with out CC.

2 Likes

At the end of the day it’s completely up to you. You can do limited cc which I’ve seen some authors do. Personally I prefer cc and will read a story with cc over a story without.

And I’ve read stories with no cc and honestly there was nothing special about the MC at all and honestly could of used CC as changing the character looks wouldn’t of effected the story.

3 Likes

Thats how i feel! My characters really are my own babies and the way they look plays a big roll in their character haha

2 Likes

I’ve been reading episode since it came out and the increase in CC is so crazy. I remember no one used to care, but now some people care to much haha.

2 Likes