Big Lips On Episode Characters

Okay, so I saw a thread about cultural appropriation, and I saw this person say that people should be able to make their characters have big lips because it’s “trendy”, and I’m a black female and I found this offensive because black people use to get bullied for having big lips. I have no problem with people using big lips on characters but I do have a problem with the fact people consider this as “trendy”…What’s going to happen when they aren’t “trendy”?

I would love to hear people’s opinions…please keep in mind that this is a free space and you can express however you feel! :slightly_smiling_face:

27 Likes

I think all lips sizes look great!

11 Likes

Same here!

3 Likes

I think people can have whatever lips they want, not because it’s “trendy” but because that’s what they want for themselves.

16 Likes

They can have big lips if they want. The problem is when every single one of the African females have big lips… that’s when it gets unrealistic and a little annoying

Otherwise its okay

3 Likes

Is there not already big enough lips? Do these people want even bigger lips or just different styles? I feel like if they go any bigger it won’t look human anymore. :woozy_face:

8 Likes

Oh no I’m not saying just black people have big lips lol I’m saying me as a black female I just found it wrong to only want big lips because they’re “trendy” :blush:

8 Likes

Lol I agree!

3 Likes

Yeah I find it wrong as well. Especially If they made fun of them in the past

3 Likes

I completely agree. I’m black also and it gets annoying when things blacks have like (big lips, braids) get looked down on but then it gets praised when other races do it :roll_eyes:
I definitely do not think that big lips are exclusive to black people and I also don’t think that every black person has to have big lips.
I just think that when you’re customizing your character you have to think of why you are using these features(not just because they’re trendy) it has to have a sensible reason or purpose

16 Likes

I mean, if people want lips that cover half the characters face and make them look like a pufferfish…

1 Like

Lol.

1 Like

Exactly!!! And it doesn’t belong to just us it’s just that we got picked on for having big lips and kinky hair or as they use to say “nappy hair”.

3 Likes

I personally feel like certain lips look good on certain people. The lips you we’re gave we’re gave to you for a reason.

4 Likes

Gosh, sorry! I didn’t mean any offence by that at all! I just meant because the episode characters have such small faces, any bigger wouldn’t really leave room for other features.
That may have come across as rude though, my bad.

I’m not really adding much since I feel most points have touched on, but I definitely agree that it’s wrong to only use big lips because it’s trendy. If you like them on your character or yourself, then good on you! The right lip sizes on certain people look AMAZING, but do it for yourself and not because you wanna hop on a bandwagon.

8 Likes

Oh no it didn’t come off rude hehe I was just saying certain faces match certain lip shapes.

1 Like

Periodt!

1 Like

the only thing i can really say is that something being trendy doesn’t give people the right to appropriate it. yea, white people can have big lips, but it’s not very common without fillers. the use of big lips feels like non-black people wearing cornrows, bantu knots, etc. Maybe im being over sensitive here but it gives me those vibes and i’m not here for it lol

10 Likes

No your not being over sensitive! I feel the same but I also just started to fall back and not say anything. As long as they don’t say anything bad about it I’m good. I find it offensive though when people non-black people wear box braids or anything like that.

2 Likes