Biggest pet peeves?

Hello everyone as you all may know or if you don’t already know now you do, I am creating my very first story and I want it to be “perfect” so I’ve been using the forums for as much help as I can get!
Some questions (Please answer and if you can’t please like and share so more people see this);
~What is your biggest pet peeves in a story?

~What makes a good story?

~Be honest do you actually spend gems on the support the author option? if so or if not why?

~Do you like point systems when reading a story?

~How many lines would you say is a good length for a story?

~I know a lot of people do this so please be honest, do you judge a story off it’s cover?

~ How do you feel about art scenes?

~ Are you ok with the only choices in a story being Outfit choices?

~ Do you spend gems for EA?

~When an author adds FAQ’s do you actually read them?

~ Last but not least how do you feel about story intros??? Would you rather have a menu instead?

Feel free to add on more things and topics because this can help not only me but everyone else whos interested!
~Have a nice day/night :kissing_closed_eyes: :yellow_heart: :yellow_heart:

8 Likes

Here’s my answers!

~What is your biggest pet peeves in a story? Mafia, Toxic LI, Mean girls whos mean to the MC for no reason, the MC never fully trusting the LI, bad grammar, terrible directing, pregnancies for no reason, you get where im going

~What makes a good story? A solid, well executed plot; fleshed out characters; decent directing; not a ton of gem choices;

~Be honest do you actually spend gems on the support the author option? if so or if not why? Sometimes, it always depends on 1: how many diamonds I have and 2: How much i like the story

~Do you like point systems when reading a story? Usually yes

~How many lines would you say is a good length for a story? 10,000 ig

~I know a lot of people do this so please be honest, do you judge a story off its cover? Yes :eyes::sweat_smile:

~ How do you feel about art scenes? I like then as long as I’m told that they will be there so I can be prepared and customize appropriately if its offered

~ Are you ok with the only choices in a story being Outfit choices? Of course

~ Do you spend gems for EA? Nope

~When an author adds FAQ’s do you actually read them? yes

~ Last but not least how do you feel about story intros??? Would you rather have a menu instead? I would rather have a menu

3 Likes

Thank you for responding :yellow_heart: also EA means early access!

1 Like

bump!

Ah perfect I’ll edit my answers, and np happy to help

1 Like

Best of luck with your story!

Summary

What is your biggest pet peeves in a story?
Bad spot directing, scenes that have no impact on the plot, glorifying mental illnesses, toxic behavior/relationship, no punctation or incorrect punctation… there are more but these are all I could think of at the moment…

What makes a good story?
Character development, engaging plot, interesting dialogues, diversity (any kind! not everyone is the same mentally, emotionally, nor physically), good pacing, it’s nice to feel like I am contributing to the story somehow (choices but not too many, especially the point system - but that’s up to you!), also decent coding is just fine as long as the plot itself is planned well… and last but not least, as much as I hate them, I also love them - good cliffhangers.

Be honest do you actually spend gems on the support the author option? if so or if not why?
I don’t, not because I wouldn’t like to support the author but simply because I never even have gems hahah, I don’t play any of the featured stories unless I need some gems for the extra content I really wanna see!

Do you like point systems when reading a story?
Kind of mentioned this in one of the previous questions - yes!

How many lines would you say is a good length for a story?
Well, this very much depends on your story content and type of coding you are going to do. But time-wise, 10-15 minutes.

I know a lot of people do this so please be honest, do you judge a story off it’s cover?
Honestly, I do. It really is the first impression you are giving to a reader. If I see that an author put an effort in making a cover (it doesn’t mean it has to be a commission drawing, since not everyone can afford that, but at least trying to make it look appealing) I would instantly assume they put the effort in the rest of their story too:)

How do you feel about art scenes?
I do like them, but mostly I don’t really care whether there are any.

Are you ok with the only choices in a story being Outfit choices?
Personally, I’ve never found a story with no other choices that I actually liked, but that doesn’t mean it can’t change! If the story is really good, why not?

Do you spend gems for EA?
Only if I am really hooked up and have gems already. I have noticed that some authors don’t remove those, even after releasing chapters to everyone. There’s this one story I started yesterday and although it’s already finished, it doesn’t allow me to proceed further without paying 10 gems for the early access, and I am only a couple of chapters in!

When an author adds FAQ’s do you actually read them?
Sometimes, depends of the questions. I usually read only those related to what is happening in the story.

Last but not least how do you feel about story intros??? Would you rather have a menu instead?
They’re cool!

1 Like

Here’s my answers, I hope they can help :slightly_smiling_face:

Extremely poor dialogue/grammar. I don’t care about a spelling or punctuation mistake here or there but I can’t stand when every single line contains errors.
Poor directing. I don’t mind simple directing, but when characters glitch all over the screen, aren’t facing the right way, zooms aren’t lined up right, etc it irritates me to no end.
No real point to the story. Some stories in my opinion are drug out so much longer than they need to be.

This may sound silly, but actually truly caring about your story, loving it and wanting it to be the best you can make it. I don’t think things such as CC or advanced directing make a story good, as I’ve read super basic stories that I’ve loved while simultaneously have read advanced stories that sucked. Rather I think it’s the time and effort you put into the story.

It depends on the author. But I never usually have more than a few gems in my account bc I don’t buy them and I hate reading EO’s.

It’s fine, but when the author stresses that points significantly matter and make drastic changes it makes me super anxious and I have a hard time reading/picking choices.

This is not a good way to judge story length, rather you should set a timer, read through and see how long it takes. People (from what I’ve gathered from the forums) tend to like stories anywhere between 7-15 minutes. So my suggestion is to code your episode til you think you’re done, play through and see what time you’re add as well as how the episode flows overall. Then either add or remove scenes from there.

I absolutely judge by covers. I’m not gonna lie, I don’t want to click on an ugly cover :woman_shrugging:t3: For some reason to me, I just feel like the story won’t be as good if I don’t think enough love went into the cover. Having something clear, intriguing and attractive is crucial to getting attention. It does not have to be a realistic super expensive commissioned cover, because edited ones can be amazing too, but it should definitely be somewhat attractive and made with care.

I don’t mind them, as long as they’re attractive and flow with the story nicely. I also like movement (panning around) because stagnant scenes get boring especially when there’s a lot of dialogue.
I’d be cautious of using art scenes if you offer CC, though. I don’t usually customize in the first place, but if I do, I don’t want the art scene character looking different from mine.
What you can do to combat that, is ask the reader which skin type they chose (light, medium, dark), and create the same exact art scene, and just adjust the customizable characters skin to fit each of those. @/wincyyellow used this method in her limelight version of The Ruby Tiara. She has archived that story from her profile, but you can still search for it to find it because it’s still in my favorites. She has it listed as discontinued so I’m not positive if you can actually read it or not anymore, though.

As someone who could careless about choices, and enjoys reading stories as the author envisioned them, that’s fine with me.

No. But my favorites list is so backed up that by the time I get to a story that had EA, it’s already expired and doesn’t apply anymore.

Absolutely! Even if they’re questions I don’t really care about, I always click on every single one so I can learn more.

I love when people take the time to include a good intro/menu to the story. It should correlate with the story as well. But I will say this, intros shouldn’t be longer than a minute the first time it’s used, snd shouldn’t be longer than 30 seconds the second, third etc times it’s used.
I quit reading a story one time because they used the same intro every single time that was like 2 minutes long of nonsense I remembered from the first time it was shown.
My suggestion is this;
-Add a nice intro in episode 1, then a shortened version of it in the rest of the episodes.
Or
-Add a nice intro in episode 1, then add a menu in the remaining episodes. Within the menu, you can add a button for warnings, points, etc and the reader can choose to tap through everything, or just get right to the story. (In my opinion, I think people appreciate that option more.)

1 Like

bump!

If this ends up being long af I apologize

This is probably dumb, but when authors make their characters walk really fast. I’ve come across a couple of authors who I swear never specify a time for their walking commands, and as a result every single character in their story becomes The Flash. I like when stories are directed like movies, so the movement of characters is important.

A lot of things, but something I find to be very important is having two-dimensional characters. If you can’t immediately think of any words to describe a character, they’re probably flat.

Another thing would be secondary story lines! This is especially important for long stories, and (in my opinion) mystery/thriller and drama genres.

~Be honest do you actually spend gems on the support the author option? if so or if not why?

Yes! But only for small authors/stories. I know how much of a boost even a 5-gem choice gives in terms of story rank, so I will violently tap through an Episode Original to help out my favourite small authors.

Sometimes, but I don’t like when they’re too in-your-face. If every choice I make results in a readerMessage telling me how many points I gained or lost, I get stressed. I’m also not really a fan of point systems with negative points, because the gap between the minimum and maximum numbers gets so large that choices end up mattering a lot.

It’s hard to say. Including CC templates, hair/lip templates, and complicated overlay placement takes up a ton of lines. In my ongoing story each chapter ranges from 5200-5500 lines, but that includes 2 CC templates. In terms of time, I like roughly 7-11 minute chapters.

~I know a lot of people do this so please be honest, do you judge a story off it’s cover?

Not really. If the description sounds interesting and uses proper spelling and grammar, I’ll read it. I definitely do enjoy nice covers, but that to me doesn’t necessarily mean commissioned covers by expensive digital artists. A creative edit will catch my eye!

Honestly? I can’t stand them, especially if they’re narrated. I tap through them as fast as possible and sometimes even stop reading stories if there are too many of them.

Yeah, I don’t think all stories need choices. I do usually prefer them, but I have read and loved some stories that have little to no choices. It depends, though.

No, I just wait. I think I only used gems once for early access and it ended up being disappointing lol

Sometimes, but I usually don’t really care about the answers unless the questions are specific to the story and/or author.

~ Last but not least how do you feel about story intros??? Would you rather have a menu instead?

I don’t mind intros, I’m definitely a menu gal though. If I’m reading more than one chapter at once I don’t really want to see the same intro again, assuming you mean those 30-60 second animated ones.

3 Likes

So many things. Bad spot directing. Mis place speech bubbles. Underage drinking.

Well written story, characters with personality not just the MC but friends and family too, character devolpment through the story.

Yes but I barely read any stories since gems came out. Been to busy writhing my own story.

Yes but don’t have minus point it’s so fast you lose to many.

Depends on choices an such. Mine are usually around 2000

Nope, of course a bad cover turns me away but amazing covers don’t make me read, usually it’s the title there makes me open it. And description makes me read it.

I hate wage once I wanna know what I am reading

Depends is it good art. Are you makeing it or commission it. If so yes I like it. Do you have CC did you mention the art scenes before the CC if not then no.

No. Firstly you can’t have point system an no choices. Second I don’t count clothes as a choice unleash people react differently to the outfits.

I wanna make choices that is why I am on this app. If I don’t wanna make choices I get a book or watch a movie. I don’t expect big impactful choices there change everything. You can do small stuff

What is EA

Never

Hate author intros don’t wanna see the author ever. Els intros don’t care if it’s menu or a splash saying chapter 1, it feels weird if it’s not there and I am just been thrown into the chapter

1 Like
My answers

Bad grammar, incorrectly placed characters and speech bubbles. Author notes being literally just random rants. Long intros that aren’t really needed.

This answer really depends on who you ask. For me, a good plot and good characters are the selling point. The first episode should be vv captivating. Imo, a good story is one in which portrays its characters properly, doesn’t have any loose ends, and which makes me WANT TO READ the next chapter immediately.

To be honest, I don’t. I’d rather spend on bonus content, points or EA. However if the story has ONLY support the author as a gem choice, I’d spend to support the stories I really like.

I usually go for over 2500+ lines. I’ve heard from a lot of people that it’s good to time your episodes. Many prefer 15 minutes as the average time taken to read it.

I don’t like it when points are subtracted :sweat_smile: Other than that, I don’t mind.

I kinda do, I guess? If the cover doesn’t have the characters on it, or rather it just has a background and a title, I tend to move on. Covers really are important. They need to be eye-catching to grab the reader’s attention.

I’m not really a fan, tbh. Not like the art would stop me from reading! I’d prefer edited limb overlays or something, yk?

I’m definitely okay with it!

I do! It’s much better than Skip The Wait :joy:

Yes!!

Intros shouldn’t be too long, like I mentioned above. A menu is a good call tho!

Good luck with your story! Hope these answers helped, and that it turns out great!!! :smiling_face::white_heart:

2 Likes

~ What is your biggest pet peeves in a story?
A lot of grammatical errors, and no full stops in sentences (aka no punctuation). Also when it is a mafia story, teens doing adult things, and wrong layerings or scaling of charactersoverlays

~ What makes a good story?
Good character development, realistic characters, and a coherent plot.

Yes I do, for small authors usually. I’ve heard how it affects ranks, so I help them out if I love their story.

It’s okay, but I don’t like it i I lose points when making a choice.

I can’t say to be honest. It is better to time yourself to get the length

I do haha— But I always try the story out just to see if the only weakpoint it has is the cover.

How do you feel about art scenes?
I’m okay with it, as long as I am warned beforehand. Then again I rarely do cc nowadays so meh. I also skip art scenes or tap quickly when the art looks bad (sorry not sorry)

I am alright with it, as long as the story says “No choices” in the beginning. I don’t want to be misled by the description saying it matters when it doesnt.

At one point I did for the last chapter of a story bcs I love it so much. Other than that, never

Yep, I am curious on the questions they put there hehe

I don’t mind as long as it is only around 30 seconds long in the first episode,and shorter in the next episodes. Menus are fine too tbh haha

I just dont want author intros where they say “sorry it’smy first ep but i promise it will get better” and then they break the 4th wall by talking with the characters

3 Likes

I hate that too when authors say “sorry it’s my first story I know it sucks…and it’s short” like stop yourself right there stop being lazy and go fix it :sob: I also agree with the bad art it’s not for everyone sometimes :skull:

2 Likes

Bump!

1 Like

It’s the worst, if you know it’s bad, stop don’t publish m, instead fix it, you have no rush to publish. Publish something you are proud off.

2 Likes

I 100% agree

2 Likes
Here are my answers

Gem choices, s l o w panning especially if there’s a dressing game and it pans for every outfit for a million years, subtle sexism

Something that’s fun to read and does not feel drawn out, a solid plotline, likeable characters but they are real with flaws, no gem choices please lol

I spend gems to support my favorite authors but only if they don’t have any other gem choices

I think it can be fun (dont use gems to add points because that completely defeats the purpose imo)

I’m not sure about lines but I think 10 mins + is a good chapter length

Yeah if the cover is lame I’ll be more heasatent to read

Art scenes are fine

Yeah I think some stories work better with a lot of choices but some of my favorite stories have none and that’s more of the book type which I like

No way. I’ll probably stop reading if an author has early access

Yeah

I think intros are cool but don’t make them too long cause that’s annoying

I was a little harsh so hope I dont sound too mean :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

three of my BIGGEST pet peeves are terribly written mafia stories, bad grammar and gem choices.

3 Likes

more than 1 LI, unnesesary relationships to make th other jealouse, the It looks like he’s cheating on me and they don’t let them explain.

Good directing, good plot , Characters that are unique in their own way.

Yes, when I have them and like the story.

I don’t care realy as long as you end up with th LI

pass

Yes and no, a really beautiful cover gets my attention fster but I would read a story without a cover if it’s a good one.

I like them. Are they really important to me? No but I like seing them sometimes.

Yes. I don’t really care about the choices.

sadly yes and also for skip the wait :sweat_smile:

Yes.

I like intro’s just don’t like long autro"s wanna go ASAP to the next chapter to see what will happen.

3 Likes

same :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes