Book recommendations? Please!

Hello everyone! :llama:

I’m making this because I love reading books, but none of my friends do. So I can’t really talk to them about them or as for some recommendations. As of right now I’m reading two different series (The Legend born trilogy and The shatter me series) and I am not far from being done both.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for what I should should read next. I’d say I’m pretty open minded when it comes to books. So I’ll take any recommendations and add them to my tbr!

5 Likes

Hmm… I don’t read much dystopian so I can’t give you many recommendations on that genre but I can provide plenty of others!

Dystopian

• Fire and Flood by Victoria Scott: Probably the only dystopian series I loved. It’s a combination of the Hunger Games and Animal Spirits (would not recommend reading Animal Spirits. Really bad in my opinion). The next books in the series don’t disappoint.

• The testing by Joelle Charbonneau: A cruel test made by mad scientists to examine the brightest students in a world after global warming has done its damage. It’s a series and the setting is somewhat similar to Legend.

• The Selection by Kiera Cass: A good story but I think they overdid the romance in it but I guess that’s the spotlight of the series. It’s about a low-caste girl being selected into the Queen selection process for the to-be King.

Mystery

• The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown: The movie does not give the book justice. The book is a whole new story.

• One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus: This is a high school-based story and the ending is f*cked up. I heard there was a Netflix series. Hopefully, it’s as good as the book.

Contemporary

• Half-brother by Kenneth Oppel: A recent read of mine. It’s about a young teen boy who ends up having a chimpanzee as a brother due to their parents conducting an animal experiment on whether chimps can talk. Not many stories talk about animal abuse and at the same time, force you to go vegan.

• Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa: LOVE LOVE LOVE this story. It’s a short story so you can possibly read it in a day or two. It narrates the adventures of a housekeeper working with a retired professor who has a serious case of Alzheimer’s. There’s no forbidden love/romance in it and it’s really heartfelt.

• K-pop Confidential by Stephan Lee: The MC is a bit cringe but the plot quickly covers that up. A good story if you like K-pop but are aware of the dark parts of the industry.

• Chasing Redbird by Sharon Creech: A good short story about a girl’s life in the small town she lives in. The narrative starts after her aunt’s death. Parts of the book are comedic so definitely recommend it.

Fantasy

• Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia: The same author that wrote Gothic Mexican (have yet to read that book). Worth the read if you want to explore another culture.

• All the Ever Afters: The Untold Story of Cinderella’s stepmother by Danielle Teller: A nice twist to the original Cinderella story. A really beautiful retelling of a classic story.

• Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim: This is a series though I haven’t managed to find the next book. It’s a retelling of a famous European folktale but in a Chinese cultural context.

• Witch Child by Celia Ritch: A story about a real-time witch living amongst the Pilgrims when the Europeans settled in the Americas. It’s a series but the next few books don’t give it justice.

• Dragon’s Keep by Jenet Lee Carey: It’s about a Princess who ends up living with dragons and raising the dragon’s young. Really nice story. Not great, but good.

• Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones: The vibe of the story matches Wednesday the Netflix series but not the plot. Would recommend it if you love dark magic and the underworld. The story takes place in Germany, I think.

• Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard: The first 3 books in the series were amazing. The last book did not cut it. About a girl who is not supposed to have powers but ends up having them and the royals try to cover this up (ya know, peasants like us royals? Blasphemy!). In the whole series, the antagonists were the ones I stand for. I will miss Maven. He’s the one that rocked the whole series.

• Flame in the Mist: Good romance story mixed with a good MC and Japanese culture. The series was good. Would recommend.

4 Likes

That’s okay! I read a lot of different types of books.
I am super grateful for this thank you so much! :two_hearts: These all sound like really great reads!

1 Like

I just got done reading dirty blood on episode 10/10

1 Like

Yes! Dirty blood was definitely really good:)

•Deep Blue by Jennifer Hale
•A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson
•Something Happened to Ali Greenleaf
•Hollow Fires
•Suicide Notes
•A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Mass

2 Likes

Yes!! The Netflix series for One of Us Is Lying is really good!!

1 Like

Thank you so much!! I have actually heard a lot about Acotar. I’m definitely going to get that series soon.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.