British slang/humour

nani

what is this

Hey up me duck?

I’ve heard of no shit sherlock, that’s pretty universal in my opinion :woman_shrugging: I’m from London (but not central London, gosh, that’d be scary), I just live in a nice, quiet town.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of hey up me duck before either. It sounds northern. I’m from the south east

3 Likes

Yes, these all sound really Northern- I’m knackered, fancy a cuppa, I’m chuffed… never heard them used in real life before, but on Masterchef (last year’s is over and i’m soo sad :sob: waiting on edge for this year’s) I’ve heard a guy say, ‘Yeah, I’m absolutely chuffed’ and I’ve also heard, ‘this is bloody difficult’.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of I’m knackered, fancy a cuppa and I’m well chuffed before.
The British say bloody a lot as well.

8 Likes

I didn’t know that first phrase was British. I thought it was only used in Jamaica.

:see_no_evil: I’m guilty of this, I say it far too much - though it’s the only slang(ish) word I say. I live in quite a posh town so slang isn’t used very often.

3 Likes

Same!

1 Like

To the person who said “Hey up me duck.” Sounds northern/southern; we are classed northern I think although most people call us “middlelands” to be fair though this term is used mainly in my area (stoke)

I also use quite a lot of what has been said

I’m knackered= I’m tired
I’m well chuffed= I’m happy
Sup= whats up
Manky= not nice
Sick= (can be used 3 way I’ll have to show you in sentence form)
“You Just sick!” Meaning unplesant
“Wow that’s sick” meaning thats cool
“I’m sick” I’m ill

There is just so many :joy:

5 Likes

Me too :joy:

2 Likes

And does anyone else say;

Breakfast, dinner (instead of lunch) and tea (as in evening meal) but still use the word tea to mean the drink tea as well?
:joy:

I say this a lot too :joy: Though I never thought of it as slang!

I don’t think there are any slang words exclusive to where I live - Oxfordshire :thinking: It’s mostly just “bloody” and “knackered” (I say “hell” a lot as well).

2 Likes

i love this thread lmaooo it makes me want to have a British character in my story

2 Likes

Well being English myself I definitely would. I’d love to see it regardless of that though.

Well, I have a British character in my story :smile:

2 Likes

Well, particularly Ron…

1 Like

I believe it is originally Caribbean, but there are quite a lot of us in London, so it became nation-wide (or city-wide??) slang.

1 Like

Oh. Thanks for the clarification

1 Like

The biggest British debate.
Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner :grin:

3 Likes

I say breakfast, lunch and dinner/ tea

1 Like

Man I remember the secondary school and college days haha. Always beef beef beef!

1 Like