Buying an iPad for Procreate... Worth it?

Heyyy… so I have a question, I’ve really wanted to try out procreate, the problem is, I don’t have an iPad… and obvioulsy it’s very expensive, so my question is, is it worth buying one? (I’ll obviously use it for other things to but art is my main focus) and what iPad do you recommend for drawing?
I’m currently drawing on my laptop with Autodesk Sketchbook, but I feel like it’s easier on an iPad
Thanks to anyone that can help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t own an iPad but I really looked into the whole world of digital drawing because I wanted to get one.
I see most artists using the iPad Pro 12 inch I believe, but it’s extremely expensive (let’s not forget the pen)
after some research I decided for the iPad Air 3 (aka iPad Air 2019) (even though I didn’t end up purchasing it). It’s smaller (10"5 inch) but wayyy less expensive! I saw artists do amazing and stunning works of art on it! the air 3 has a laminated screen already, so you wouldn’t miss out on that.

if you’re willing to try out other programs, maybe a tablet display could come handy too? (example: Huion Pro 16). these have giant surface! (17 inches I believe)

this was obviously just my opinion on everything :blush:

1 Like

Thank you so much, this was really helpful!
I’ll definetly see which iPad is worth buying since they are really expensive, but I haven’t thought about tablet displays yet, I’ll definetly look more into them!

1 Like

it was no problem, I know that you’ll make the right decision in the end!

1 Like

I use procreate for portraits or very detailed art. It’s a great app and definitely worth it! I use an iPad pro, it’s very friendly for newbies and not very expensive :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You could get a cheaper device and use an app called Medibang, it’s wonky sometimes but it works well and it’s completely free. However I have an Ipad that I use when I make art and I use ProCreate as well! It’s totally worth it but consider your alternatives!

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll definetly checkit out, this was really helpful!

1 Like

Sprichst du fließend deutsch (sorry I noticed your bio said you were from Germany and I speak German so I wanted to ask :pleading_face:)

1 Like

Jaaa! Ich bin muttersprachler haha, cool das du deutsch bist :pleading_face:

1 Like

Ich bin Autodidakt und mein Deutsch ist ein bisschen verrostet, aber ich kann es gut genug sprechen, um ein anständiges Gespräch zu führen

1 Like

Du kannst es aber gut! Ich kenn kaum leute die in der episode community deutsch sprechen!

1 Like

Ja, gleiche! Die meisten Leute, mit denen ich gesprochen habe, sprechen entweder nur Englisch oder sie kommen aus Ländern wie Südafrika und sie sprechen Englisch und Afrikaans.

1 Like

I liked procreate - how easy it was to get used to it and to brushes. I personally did not go for ipad, i have decided to go with Microsoft Surface Pro as i wanted to have something i can use as laptop at times (without hassle of having cloud to move images in between) If you’re going for something cheaper, i dont think it matters most as nowadays you can get pens for any type of surface, its based on how you feel with it - the program i use is PaintToolSai, you can obtain it for free, or purchase newest version. You can download brush patterns for leaves, grass, plus brush templates for skin, whatever you really fancy.

Hope it helps :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And hope you find the tablet you’re looking for! Its definitely easier to use than additional sketchbook to your laptop!

1 Like

Thank you for this, it really helps! It sounds really promising actually, I’ll look it up! thx :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m not ready to invest in an Ipad yet
I’m using Samsung Tab s6 with stylus
and IbispaintX and sketchbooks are perfect for my arts
But a lot artist use procreate

2 Likes

SO WORTH IT.

I bought an iPad and pencil for Procreate and I’m so proud of my art now! I had no previous art experience.

2 Likes

You might want to buy the apple pencil with it, but yeah is worth it :relieved:

1 Like

I wanted to try procreate as well. That’s why I wanted to buy an Ipad pro. But where I live, it’s really become impossible to buy a new one due to corona. Because Apple doesn’t ship here or I couldn’t find any store where new Ipad is available. So, I moved my focus from buying an ipad but instead I brought a pen tablet from wacom which I use with my phone and pc. I really liked the outcome. I used my fingers before so it was a good upgrade for me. Currently I use IbisPaint X which is totally free on play store on my phone (Samsung galaxy s10). So, I’ll suggest if you’re really passionate and financially available and not in a weird situation like me, then you should buy an Ipad for procreate. (In that case you can buy ipad pro 2020/2018 11inch if you have small hands like me! And I don’t think that they did a major upgrade in 2020 version except the camera. All you can get is extra layers in procreate because of the new 6 gb rams)
Otherwise you can try other apps to know better about your arts and progress and finally decide which Ipad you should buy.

1 Like

Of course I’ll buy it too (don’t wanna draw with my cow fingers) and ty

1 Like

Thank you for this, I’m really conflicted now, but I’ll consider buying an iPad pro, or iPad air 3

1 Like