Caliope-Checker ~ your very own Grammarly for Episode

Hey guys,

So one of the biggest turn-offs for any reader is bad grammar. I can hear people saying and thinking, “How is it possible to even have bad grammar? We live in a time with spellcheckers and Grammarly, why must writers make so many mistakes?” That’s easy, because they’re not always as accurate as you may think. Hence why I have decided to step up and offer my time.

If you think this is a review thread or you just want reads, then please leave and find one of the many in these forums. I suggest going to Amberose’s thread, as its an awesome one, along with many others. Why am I only recommending her thread and not others’? That would be because I not-so-secretly stalk her she’s a good forum friend of mine. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

What makes me qualified to sub (subedit) your writing?
:man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging: I don’t know. Am I a native English speaker from a native English speaking country? Yes, though I’m not sure that qualifies me since most native English speakers can’t use correct grammar. Do I check grammar for a living? Yes, I’m an ESL teacher, but I don’t believe that qualifies me either. As there are many ESL teachers out there who don’t even have the qualifications to teach or any qualifications in general.
So why then, Caliope? Well, to err is human, and even I make mistakes. I am human, after all, or so I will lead you to believe. However, there are many stories on Episode with extremely poor grammar, and me being my anal self, gets annoyed by this. So I’m here to help!

What do you actually get from me?
I will read at least ONE episode of your story, whether there are very few mistakes or the grammar is extremely poor. If the story is really captivating then I will be inclined to read/check more. As for the critiquing part, I will make a list of quotes from your story, in consecutive order, highlighting my corrections.
I will post them here, in this thread, and what you do with my corrections is up to you.

How do I use Caliope-checker?
Just post your story below, be patient (please don’t bombard me with “When will you get to mine?” messages), and I’ll get to it eventually. I’m almost 24/7 active in forums, so I promise I’ll get to it.

Cheers,
Caliope-Checker :wink:

Proofreading help available

I need this so bad.
I want to publish my story next week, when backgrounds will be approved, but still. I’m not an English native speaker, so I know there are mistakes, both style and spelling. Can you take a look at unpublished story?

Awesome, am here to help! :wink:
I sure can, just share the link with me!

Here you go, for chapter one, my corrections are in bold. :wink:

For chapter one:

Katarina: “I’ve transferred between five schools.”, “I’ve transferred to about five schools.” or “I’ve changed schools five times.”
Darla: “You know that I have already rented a premises…”
Katarina: “See yeh.” - it is normally “See ya.”, though it all depends on the way you say it. Yeh is said like ‘year’ and Ya is more like ‘Yah’.
Katarina: She says “I’ll take a walk,” but you really only need to put “I’ll walk.” Taking a walk is to take a relaxing stroll on a Sunday or something.
Principal: “Well, forgive me for my insensitivity.” or “Well, forgive my insensitivity.”
Principal: “I see you have been moving around a lot.”
Principal:A woman of few words.”
Hazel: “I get a bad vibe here.”
Darla: “My roots come from here.”
Darla: “And you will too.”
Random question: Is there a reason why Layla and the teacher are wearing the same scarf? If not, you may want to change that, 'cause it’s a little odd.
Ms Summers: “You’re late, Layla” - add a comma. As well as, “Introduce yourself to the class, please.”
Ms Summers: “Would you mind introducing yourself properly, my dear?”
Katarina: “… tottie flecks of indigo.” - What’s a tottie fleck?
Katarina: “I have low expectations in life and a…”
Katarina:In my spare time, I practice…”
Katarina: “What else?” - add a question mark, as she’s asking herself.
Katarina: “…thing that happened to the telly in a decade.”
Katarina: “…worst thing to ever happen in history.”
Katarina: “The biggest part of politics is that voters have the IQ of a banana, …” or you could say “The biggest downside to politics is that…”
Katarina: “Eh, who needs an education anyway?”
Katarina: “…Summers thinks that’s a doozie of an introduction.” - I think you meant ‘doozie’.
Ms Summers: “Welcome back, senior class.” - no capital for the ‘S’ is needed.
Ms Summers: “This year we will be solely covering Pine…”
Ms Summers: “Open your books to page 93…”
Darla: “Welcome to Magic Crafts.”
Darla: “… part of my family’s heritage.”
Darla: “…around the 17th century.”
Darla: “Who come onto my property and spill their nonsense over me.”
Katarina’s thoughts: “Oh, give me a break.” - add a comma.
Katarina: “… what you’re yakking on about.”
Taylor: “Is she playing dumb or is she actually dumb?”
Taylor: “…came from and I don’t care.” - you don’t need the ‘apparently’.
Abigail: “…call the couch.” - You know a couch is a sofa, right?
Mayor: “Radically.” - not the right word here.

If you want me to do other chapters I can. Although, chapter one was really long and I suggest breaking it down and spreading it out into the following chapters. It started off really good and I was really excited, but the more I saw of her first day of school, the more bored I got.

Hope this helps,

Hello Caliope, can you help with my story, please? :grinning:

Story: Rewinded Life.

Author: Lia Lopez.

Description:
What would you do if a galactic being gives you the power to go back in time, and change the outcome of events that were out of your control?

Genres:
Fantasy, comedy, romance and slice of life.

Completion status:
9 episodes. (Ongoing)

My instagram: lia_lopez_episode

Link:

Thank you. I will make corrections. I definitely won’t split chapter, because it’s just 10 minutes of reading (was obv longer for you, since you were making notes :slight_smile:

Hey Lia!
Sure thing. Sorry that it took me a couple of days, got a bit busy. :slight_smile:
Here’s chapter one, my corrections are in bold. :wink:

For Chapter One:

Lia: “Yes, Yuki?” - add a comma
Benio: “SHUT UP, GRUMPY DOLL.” - add a comma
Rewounder: “…can see a bright, green glow…” - add a comma and in English grammar, the word ‘bright’ goes before colours when describing.
Megan: “Thank you very much, Diana. …” - add a comma
Megan: “Arigato, Diana.” - add a comma
Rose: “See you tomorrow, Cookie cheeks.” - add a comma
Benio: “I never asked for your number. …” - no capital ‘N’
Megan: “… saving Benio and her sisters’ numbers in my phone.” - Benio doesn’t need 's because she’s included with the ‘and’, AND there are two other sisters, so s’. Also, do the sisters share one number or have their own phones. I think you meant ‘numbers’.
Megan: “…after so long I had finally found a friend.”
Mai: “…over and over again, Mai.” - add a comma
Mai: “…having these types of thoughts in your head.”
Megan: “…each other. Otherwise, I would be unbalanced.”
Lia: “…what Mai and Mei look like when they are…”

The story wasn’t too bad, I didn’t mind it so much. :slight_smile: Although, there are quite a few characters and at times there either needed to be some kind of an introduction OR the intro came a little late.
If you want me to go through other chapters I can, just let me know.

Hope this helps,

Wicked. No worries at all. :wink: … Nah, I took corrections into account. It was still quite long.

Thank you very much! :grinning: I’ll correct it when I get home. :smiley: I would appreciate it if you could check the other chapters, please.

I’ll set the skipping option so you don’t have to reread the chapter. :grin:

Hello, I would like for my story to be checked. It’s titled Kotton Kandie.

You’re a life saver thank you so much.
I’M PRETTY SURE episode 4 is full of bs.
With this specific system of choices, you won’t miss anything \o/.

Thank you agaiin.

You’re very welcome, I’m glad you appreciate it. :wink:
I can absolutely do that! :smile:

For Chapter Two:

Benio: “I love you too, Mars!” - add a comma.
Rose: “Good morning, Cookie cheeks!” - add a comma.
Megan: “…was your start to the day?”
Megan: “I’m elated.” - this sounds weird, like you’ve used a thesaurus to use another word. I think saying “I’m glad” would be better here.
Benio: “Good morning, Megan!” - add a comma.
Rewounder: “You and me both, honey” - add a comma.
: “…I was distracted caz I was texting with Mars.” - Don’t write in text-speak with dialogue, it seems unprofessional. Only use it to represent a text message. Spell it ‘because’. If you really must use ‘coz’, then spell it 'cause with the apostrophe before it.
Rose: “I’m glad for you, imouto chan.” - add a comma.
Rose: “We’re fine, Blueberry, and you?” - add a comma.
Diana: "I’m EXCELLENT, Rose
Diana: “…he told me, they haven’t got much to finish.”
Rose: “No way, Cookie Cheeks, we’re only…” - add a comma.
Diana: “Oh, shut up, Benio…” - add two commas.
Diana: “We are adults, Benio.” - add a comma.
Benio: “Shut up, Ane chan.” - add a comma.
Megan: “…just talking with then.”
Megan: “…flower garden, which is close to the cafe.” - add a comma.
Ivy: “…and you are?”
Ivy: “…what do you think we should do while waiting for those two…”
Megan: “It’s fine…” - this is a poor response to ‘what should we do?’ Maybe something like this instead, “Let’s just stay here…”
Megan: “…the only thing missing are chairs~”
Grace: “…rejecting me 'cause you’re gay,…”
Ernesto: “Screw you, Grace, that doesn’t have anything to with…” - add a comma.
Ernesto: “And anyway, it’s none of your…” - no capital ‘I’ in ‘it’s’.
Megan: “See you, Ivy.” - add a comma.
Ivy: “Was my witless friend bugging you again?”
Ernesto: “…I can’t stand her anymore.”
Ivy: “…talk to her tomorrow afternoon.”
Megan: “What was all that about? It seemed like a dramatic teenage soap opera.”
Magan:Is he staring at me…” and “… $5 …”
Megan: “…It’s not as if you’re somebody…”
Ernesto: "…overreaction betrays you, don’t you think?
Ernesto: “… what’s your name, young lady?” - add a comma.
Megan: “Hold up… is it normal for you…”
Ernesto: “…didn’t expect you to come back today!..” and “I have realized that after just meeting you a short time ago.” and “…why is it different with her?”

Hey, so of course, I will do more… BUT before I do, would you mind doing a few things first?

1. Most of your errors are commas. So would you mind going through the other episodes and adding commas? Whenever a character talks to another and mentions their name, like this “Good morning, Cookie Cheeks.” Add a comma before and/or after the name mentioned.
  2. Cookie Cheeks. Do you want both words to have a capital letter or not, as sometimes ‘cheeks’ has one and sometimes not? I suggest you pick ONE and change the others, so it flows evenly through the story.

Extra note: Your chapters are REALLY long, you may want to consider splitting them into a few more chapters?! :wink:

Hope this helps,

Thank you so much, Caliope! :grinning:

:grin: I already checked and added the missing commas (although, I probably missed some of them.)

Seriously, I’d appreciate it if you could help me with my chapters. It’s important to me that my story has good grammar, especially because my main language is Spanish, and I don’t usually formulate dialogues as a native English speaker would normally do. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Oh, believe me, my chapters usually last 10, 15 or 20 minutes. I’ve come across stories that each chapter lasts more than an hour. :sob: It’s awful!

HI!
Could you look at my story? I would appreciate your help :slight_smile:
Title: Teacher or Queen?
Author: Mystique