Calling all romance/drama authors

I’ve noticed something lately. Anytime someone tries to discuss their issues with every single “cliche” story being thrown into the same bin as “problematic” ones the threads end up getting slightly off track due to people turning them into a “why xyz is horrible” argument.
This thread is not for that (In fact I will flag anyone who makes it that). This thread is so that romance and drama authors who write more of the cliches have a place to discuss, comment, talk, etc. without feeling as if they’re being silenced.

1. What’s your favorite cliche?
    a. What’s a cliche you like that you see getting harped on a lot?
  2. As a romance/drama author have you ever gotten hate for writing a cliche?
    a. how do you respond to it?
  3. A lot of cliches get categorized as harmful. Can you name some stories in those categories that aren’t?
  4. Do you think the dislike of cliches is unfounded? Does it have merit? Do you think people are being over dramatic?
  5. What makes you love romance and or drama stories? What inspires you to write them?
  6. What do you think of contests about romance and drama stories? What about shelves?
  7. Why did you start writing romance/ drama stories?
  8. Additional thoughts?

Once again, this is not a thread for talking about problematic stories or cliches. This is more for talking about unproblematic cliches that often get thrown together with the bad ones. There are multiple threads for talking about problematic stories, tropes, etc. This thread is not for that. Please respect that. :smile:

7 Likes
  • What’s your favorite cliche? I actually love the “love at first sight” or “interested right away” cliche. Don’t get me wrong, I love a slow burn, but when there is an instant attraction, it’s just so cute to me, so I incorporated that cliche into my story lol.
    a. What’s a cliche you like that you see getting harped on a lot? Definitely bad boy/mafia romance, and I understand bc I’m not a fan myself.
  • As a romance/drama author have you ever gotten hate for writing a cliche? Yep, one thing I hear is how my MC and LI are moving too fast, which doesn’t really make sense to me. Sure, they went on a date right away, but is that really “too fast” with stories having one night stands within the first episode?
    a. how do you respond to it? I laugh it off at the end of the day bc it was my intention to rush their romance. The LI is ill, and at the end, it will be revealed that they were made for each other/soulmates from the jump.
  • A lot of cliches get categorized as harmful. Can you name some stories in those categories that aren’t? Interest at first sight IMO. So long as it’s not obsessive and shit haha.
  • Do you think the dislike of cliches is unfounded? Does it have merit? Do you think people are being over dramatic? I understand the issue with the bad boy/gang leader/mafia cliche, and I’m happy more people see how problematic it is now.
  • What makes you love romance and or drama stories? What inspires you to write them? Character growth and development together. What inspires me to write them is more of a desire for escapism.
  • What do you think of contests about romance and drama stories? What about shelves? No opinion, really.
  • Why did you start writing romance/ drama stories? I always wrote in comedy, horror, thriller, etc, and I wanted to challenge myself. This is my first ever romance/drama story, and I’m pretty proud of it
  • Additional thoughts?
1 Like

I think this cliche can be done really well!

Bad boys for me depends on the type. If they’re abusive a-holes it’s a no, if they’re more of a “bad boy” then I’m all for them. Mafia for me is always a no go. I haven’t found one yet that didn’t make me uncomfortable. :sweat_smile:

Definitely! I think if the purpose is them getting together a “first date” on episode 1 isn’t taking them too fast. :grin:

:clap::clap::clap:

Aw, I’ll have to try and check it out!

What’s your favorite cliche?
Dominant billionaires.
Dominant billionaires.

As a romance/drama author have you ever gotten hate for writing a cliche?
I got told I should stop writing cliche rubbish and focus on my other stories :rofl: :grimacing:
Just the blocking part.

A lot of cliches get categorized as harmful. Can you name some stories in those categories that aren’t?
Don’t really read much romance/drama to be honest. My own story is a weird one because I do actually have a “love interest” who some people would portray as toxic (and some people have reached out to me about him) but SPOILER he’s not a real love interest.

Do you think the dislike of cliches is unfounded? Does it have merit? Do you think people are being over dramatic?
I don’t think you can really avoid tropes or cliches. Every genre has them. I don’t think it’s cliches in general that people complain about per se, but rather things like the romanticisation in mafia/gang stories or romanticising characters who shouldn’t be romanticised, especially in a PG13 app.

What makes you love romance and or drama stories? What inspires you to write them?
I’m not really a romance/drama author, but I have one drama story which is why I answered these questions :rofl: :woman_shrugging:t3: and in all fairness, it’s mixed with so many genres that I’m not really sure it’s even drama.

What do you think of contests about romance and drama stories? What about shelves?
I don’t like genre locked contests in general. I have entered a romance-only contest (Missed Connections). I would enter a drama or romance genre-locked contest, but it wouldn’t be my preference.

Why did you start writing romance/ drama stories?
Technically, my first one was my Missed Connections entry, and that was because Mavis and I had an idea that we felt fit the prompt. My current drama story actually was originally written on another app and was supposed to just be a drama/romance story (without the mystery subplot it has now) and it was honestly just supposed to be a smutty disaster for research purposes (I wanted to see if it would trend. It did. Hit #1 even with the mystery).
I do write romance on another app though.

Additional thoughts?
None for now.

4 Likes
  • What’s your favorite cliche?
    bady boy/mafia :sleepy: imma sucker of that sue me
    :point_up_2:
  • As a romance/drama author have you ever gotten hate for writing a cliche?
    Not yet :eyes:
    :new_moon_with_face:
  • A lot of cliches get categorized as harmful. Can you name some stories in those categories that aren’t?
    Um i would say mine (shameless promo bois :v:)
    bc most peoples say its like taking the mafia/bad boy trend and mixing it with racing & bad girl
  • What makes you love romance and or drama stories? What inspires you to write them?
    The drama and exictement.
    Um idk wut really inprised me but like… just reading a lot of them i guess
  • What do you think of contests about romance and drama stories? What about shelves?
    im not in any So idk
    but i always go to the drama & romance shelves if im ever bored
  • Why did you start writing romance/ drama stories?
    Cause thats the only thing i read :clown_face:
1 Like

ugh these discussions are such clickbait for me haha. lowkey love these

I love “bad” characters. Bad boys, bad girls, bad everyone, I love it all haha.
    Toxic men. Like I get it, toxic masculinity sucks, I’m so with them on this. But ignoring it doesn’t make it go away. Writing has the power to bring light and awareness to things.
    I write drama/other genres and can’t say I’ve necessarily gotten hate, but more of a skepticism on “bad boys” in my stories.
    Usually, I agree. Like you’re right, they are totally bad. Tbh, I’m annoyed with my characters half the time I’m writing about them haha. I’m always open for a discussion or rant on something ridiculous my characters have done.
  • A lot of cliches get categorized as harmful. Can you name some stories in those categories that aren’t?
    This is a tough one to answer. I think a cliche is only as harmful as the lense with which you read allows it to be.
  • Do you think the dislike of cliches is unfounded? Does it have merit? Do you think people are being over dramatic?
    Cliches in themselves aren’t bad, they’re simply a stereotype of sorts that has been done many times (usually with success). I think the hate they get has more to do with jealousy over an author’s popularity than the actual cliche itself.
  • What makes you love romance and or drama stories? What inspires you to write them?
    My stories don’t necessarily fit into either genre, but I do feel that most successful stories have elements of both in them. Like to attract readers a story usually needs some romantic thread and exaggerated suspense.
  • What do you think of contests about romance and drama stories? What about shelves?
    I’m not sure about past contests, but I am not a fan of the current contest about the “dramatic reveal”. It feels a bit limiting. Like I love a good plot twist, but I don’t want to feel required to include this within the first 3 chapters. Just seems a bit rushed.
    Honestly, I did on accident. I was messing around on the writer’s portal with some coding effects, and made a pretty cool/suspenseful intro. I’d never really written in that style before but decided to just run with it.
  • Additional thoughts?
    I think we need a better word for what most people claim as “toxic”. It’s taken a pretty broad meaning, and the more it is said the less power it is given. I think that things can be neutral or even questionable without being toxic.
1 Like

1: enemies to lovers
2 I dont write romance or drama. I am a fantasy author. but when you get hate its best to be polite and to ignore it. I recommend to read all the positive feedback you get.
3 I think all can be good and bad depending on how they are made. and people have diffrent opinions some think something is harmful that others dont.
4 cliche means its overused. that you have seen it to many times. example with me, in my teen I read nothing but vampire romance stories I was a teen when twilight was popular, and now I dont wanna open a book there include vampires
5 just said I dont write that. but music inspires me,

1 Like

This sounds like me and my story. :joy::skull:

Same though. :eyes:

1 Like

Same! :joy:

I definitely think the way these stories are done has a lot to do with whether representation or romanticization is happening. :grin:

Same. :skull:

I think in some cases this is probably true.

I definitely agree with this!

1 Like

bump :hugs:

To be honest, I’m guilty of the love at first sight romance. I think they’re cute.
    Pregnancy after marriage. Nothing wrong with it. This is my personal opinion and everyone sees pregnancy in a different way. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.
    Yes. Should see my watpadd messages. It clearly says 18+ and it’s catogrised as such but I get parents who tell me to stop writing like that. No you stop your child going in the adult section :woman_facepalming:
    BLOCK!
    My friend’s story is a classic romance cliche. Love at first sight. It’s called Second Chance - The Beginning. It’s not even harmful it’s cute :heart_eyes:
  • Do you think the dislike of cliches is unfounded? Does it have merit? Do you think people are being over dramatic?
    Yes.
    Because it’s something which part of the human nature whether you like it or not. Some people fall in love, some don’t.
    Question not understood
    Because it’s my guilty pleasure. And hate me but I like a saucy novel.
  • Additional thoughts?
    [/quote]
    Yeah. People need to stop being but hurt over everything. Everyone has different tastes and we shouldn’t scold those who don’t share the same ones. Peace out :v: