Can anyone teach me how to draw the hair Long Voluminous Curls Loose?

In case you need a picture of it:
Screenshot_20191129-154630_Chrome
In general how do you draw hair? But mostly how do you draw this hair?
Some tags:
@Epi_Info @SkyM @epy.love @jessica.epi @ArtisticWaffle @Awae @eilyk

6 Likes

I would help but I’m not talented like that, I’m sorry

1 Like

Thanks for the tag! So I usually don’t draw curly hair (because it’s hard), but I drew Sky’s profile picture, so I can do that kind of hair (wavy). I recommend drawing it in chunks and drawing just little bits of the curl at a time. One thing I see a lot of artists do is draw the entire strand of hair from top to bottom, but that isn’t the case in real life. You could try tracing it to get an outline and then color it it. I also don’t recommend drawing random scribbles or loops, but think of it as a 3d thing. You can try drawing repeated c or s shapes that fit together. Shade the hair accordingly and make sure to add strands that are sticking out to make it seem more natural. The parts that go out the furthest (protrude) should be the lightest and the parts that sink in or are hidden from the light will be hidden. Make the curves really extreme and as c like as you can to make in look curlier. Make the curls smallish too because your reference picture has tight curves.

If you want a hair tutorial in general, I have one on my tips and tricks thread, but that one is more for straight hair. Here’s the link.

I hope this helps! :heart:

1 Like

a low-key flex? :smirk::joy:

2 Likes

No no sorry! I was just saying that’s just about what I can do when it comes to curlyish hair :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ik Ik I’m joking :joy:

2 Likes

:joy: Sorry!

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t think I can help that much. I’m usually working with straight, wavy or styled hair, frizzy hair is not one of my talents.
I’m not usually working on realism, so my hair tends to have less detail. I usually add around 2-3 shades of darker colors and 2-3 of lighter colors. I only use a very little amount of white since I think it’s boring to have just white for highlights.
I’m a very brief person but I am really bad at teaching, but here’s some tips that I could come up with:
-Come up where/what the light source is, it’ll make it easier to to shade in the correct place for hair.
-Use more than 3 colors, usually 3 colors or so seems reasonable because there’s one for shading, one for highlights, and one for base. It’s might work for much simpler drawings, even so I would recommend going over 3 colors. Have at least 2 colors for shading and 2 colors for highlights.
-Change the hue of the palette whenever you do shading. You shouldn’t just stick to one color and just make it darker or lighter, you can slightly change your hue to the right or left whenever you’re gonna shade something, usually I move to the left whenever I shade and move to the right whenever I add highlights, but it really depends.
These usually work for me and my style, however there are plenty of other tips and ways.

1 Like

Well you’re gonna need practice, you can start out by tracing and then little by little you’ll get up to that pedestal in which you’ll be able to freehand it. It’s just like normal curls but with more volume think of it as a wiggly and curvy snake. Draw it like that, soon you’ll be able to draw it better.

1 Like

Ok, can you work with me just to like get the hang of it? @xetic or @Awae?

1 Like

Definitely :nerd_face:, lemme also find some tutorial like images

1 Like

Ok thank you!

1 Like

No probs here’s what I found:

I also found an image which shows you what should and what shouldn’t be done to give u some info and how it should somewhat begin to look like

1 Like

Firstly, just try draw the s and c curls until you get the hang of it, connect them and experiment with it a little.

1 Like

I’m no pro but I wanted to try the curly hair too lol. I think like @ArtisticWaffle said; start by tracing just to get use to the C’s and S’s in the curly hair style and then eventually you can just freestyle and make your own. This was my first attempt and I just started by tracing it and then coloring it but yeah… curly hair is hard especially to follow along the twists and turns and I couldn’t figure at all where shadows and highlights go even using a reference :woman_facepalming: but I think doing it that way was very helpful and taking your time since I rushed :clown_face: . I just threw in a bunch of c’s and s’s to create more volume but yeah… lol I’m too use to straighter hair and I think it was harder without having a head to draw on so maybe make sure there’s a head to draw on too lol :woman_facepalming: :llama:

My attempt

5 Likes

Picasso? I thought you died?

2 Likes

Lmao :joy: I have been resurrected for this thread specifically. :genie: :man_dancing:

2 Likes

Wow how?! That’s amazing!

1 Like

Aww thank you so much, I mean like I said I’m really not a pro :woozy_face: but I can definitely share with you how I did that so that at least you have some basics and foundation to work with.:slight_smile:

1 Like