Can I get your opinion on multiple love interests?

Hello! I’ve been off the app and the site for a while, and I’m working on remaking one of my previous works. I’ve been reading through some opinion threads, and especially taking note on thoughts about love interests.

One of the reasons I started over with this project is because I had waaaaaaaay too many romance options. I managed to cut it down to four, two guys and two girls. I did this mostly so the player would have a choice, like do you want the goth boy or the boho girl, etc., and not have all four trying to romance the MC at once. So, I’d lie your feedback or just thoughts in general on story love interests. :grinning:

4 Likes

I usually prefer 1 love interest so that It could be more easier for us (readers) and for you it will be much easier because you can focus on developping 1 relastionship.
Hope this help!

5 Likes

You could also do the choice if they want to date boys or girls

2 Likes

I think it’s good that you have lots of option BUTTTT with that said, make sure you don’t show favoritism towards some characters but not others. If I read your story I want the option to choose who I spend time with. If there’s going to be a date or a hangout have the reader choose who to hangout with, don’t decide for them, it’s no fun and it’s not fair. Other than that I think it sounds great! I prefer stories with more than 1 li because then I have a choice. What if I don’t like the main LI? It ruins the story, having the freedom to choose between LI’s is what I love so much with episode! I would most definitely read your story as you have it now!

7 Likes

For me I am a one man/woman girl. :eyes:

4 Likes

You definitely have good points. Some of the roles aren’t currently gender-switchable for reasons, but I could still work that in.

True, the favouritism has definitely been something I’ve been keeping in mind. Thank you for your feedback!

2 Likes

In my opinion, it can really depend on how you write the story or how well many love interests fit into your plot, but the more you add, the harder it becomes to choose, the more branching you’ll need to add and the more frustrated a reader may become because they want to spend time with a particular love interest but are forced to spend time with another etc.
I personally love reading stories that have two, sometimes three love interests, just in case I don’t like one of them.

With that being said, I’ve enjoyed plenty of stories that had many love interests, and the only thing I found annoying was the option to customize them all every time I met a love interest. I’ve also enjoyed plenty where there is only one love interest. :relaxed:

But at the end of the day, I reckon you should write however many love interests you see fit for your story because you know it best and you will write it best if you’re writing it how you want it to be.

3 Likes

I’m okay with multiple, as long as the two of them deserve equal chances in winning the MC’s heart (hope that didn’t sound too sappy lol)

4 Likes

I don’t mind it if we actually have a chance to pick, meaning there’s no clear favoritism from the author.

4 Likes

Multiple love interests are good only as long as you give the same amount of dedication to all of them. Most people don’t like them because authors typically choose favorites when it comes to love interests and will develop one over the other. And no one want a half-*ssed romance if they choose the unpopular option. There’s nothing wrong with them as long as you do it right!

5 Likes