Thanks for the help!

Hi there!
Thank you all for the answers, you guys are the best!

you cant, it would be plagarism.

That would count as fan fiction (if I remember right) which isn’t allowed on the forums. @Tyler would be able to help you more though.
If you’re wanting to make a remake on episode with the same storyline and characters then like @line123462 said that’s plagiarism which is like the worse sin you can commit in the writer world. :metal:

3 Likes

Hi Natasha,

I’d recommend checking out my thread about this:

Happy writing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh okay, thank you

1 Like

Moved to Episode Fan Community. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

Huh Really?
Okay what if someone gets a story line from a novel and just modifies it a little?
I was told it’s allowed only when you make slight modifications to the story line you got from the book or novel

It would depend. Writing a story about wizards who go to school isn’t necessarily plagiarism and could count as inspiration (from HP) , but writing a story about a boy wizard who goes to a wizarding school and ends up defeating a dark wizard would be skirting too close to the lines.

It’s all about inspiration versus imitation. It’s the reason Hunger Games and the Divergent Series coexist. They’re both dystopians. They’re both wildly different stories, but they have similar themes: corrupt government, strong female leads, a human desire to rebel, etc. However, most people that read the two wouldn’t claim they’re the same story.

Okay i get it. Thank you

1 Like

I can give you a few examples of how diffrent they have to be. all these stories, some are copies. others just have a very similar story line

Twilight
Vampire diaries
Fifthy shades of grey this actually was a fanfic of twilight and then she re-write it a bit and publish it

the maze runner
hunger games
divergent it rip both of the two others off

Harry potter
little witch academy
the worst witch guess what this is the oldest of this 3

1 Like

I was just asking coz a few months ago i got to read this story on the app which had the exact same story line as a novel i had previously read. I really got confused coz i had read the writer’s guidelines and i saw something about not copying fan fiction i.e books and stuff.
I tried asking around if that was allowed and was told it’s allowed to use a storyline from fiction as inspiration for stories on episode. Thing is i really didn’t see any divergence. Anyway maybe someone else would see what i didn’t.
Thank you for enlightening me on this

You can always report the story to @Tyler to investigate. Some stories do slip through the cracks.

2 Likes

yeah you should properly report it. I have just reported a story which was a fanfic of undertale.

though they can be some time about doing anything about it. but again they properly get a lot of reports

I will add that, although, you can not write fan-fictions or copies of modern novels- there are books/plays/movies that are in the public domain that can be modified, interpreted and used by the public with no copyright attachments. (You should look at the thread that @/Tyler posted above- It has a link to books in the public domain!)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.