Can someone help me with the two questions I have?

Okay, so I need some art advice on how to make night backgrounds. Also, I want to make it look like the lights are only on. Mine have been coming off too dark since I’m unsure what to do.

The second issue is that I need some backgrounds made. I’m going for a colonial look since my story is based during the American revolutionary war in Philadelphia.

Background 1 & 2 Details:

• Type: Dining Rooms
  • Size: 1920 x 1136
  • Color Schemes: For Background 1, I would prefer beige undertones on top of a wood look with Blue as well. Background 2 can be red with darker wood undertones and darkish green colors.

This is a link to colonial-like dining rooms from google.
https://www.google.com/search?q=colonial+dining+room&sxsrf=ALiCzsZ8msliUc2EhcaNiVDQVwenrLwnwg:1656226767018&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiH-vXAxcr4AhVPIkQIHbgDCOkQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw

This link is for photo references for dining rooms from Turn: Washington Spies. It’s one of the shows I could think that has on point sets basically.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Turn%3A+Washington’s+Spies+dining+room&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjY-ve_yMr4AhXmlWoFHR-MBLwQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=Turn%3A+Washington’s+Spies+dining+room&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1C9B1i9B2CLDmgAcAB4AIABAIgBAJIBAJgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=8ga4Yti5D-arqtsPn5iS4As

Another two backgrounds I need are bedrooms this is for the colonial look as well. One would be a male characters room while the other would be for a female character. The male character is a British Major who has taken residence in Philadelphia during the war. The female is a residence who has lived in Philadelphia and her family is wealthy.

I really don’t have any requirements for the bedrooms except that they need to look similar to these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=colonial+bedrooms&oq=&aqs=chrome.1.69i58j35i39i362i524l14.-1j0j9&client=ms-android-motorola-rvo3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

The female usually dresses in pinks, reds and blacks if that helps with color code wise.

1 Like

what program’s do you have?
if you don’t have a drawing tablet I recommend using a phone or tablet drawing app like IBS paint
because its a PAIN (not impossible) to use a mouse while creating a personal background

1 Like

I use gimp or Photoshop but mainly gimp. I have a small Wacom tablet I have been using to practice drawing on.

1 Like

OKAY! We can work with that!
I use a Wacom too
but i am not that familiar with gimp but i will try my best to help!

let’s start with the dining room background.
pull up your background

1 Like

I don’t have a background image made for the two dining rooms and two bedrooms. I actually need those created. Sorry about the miscommunication about that. These are the ones I need to fix though since they are too dark.

Day Versions

Bedroom 1

Bedroom 2

Bar Setting Exterior

Episode Edit

Night Versions

Bedroom 1

Bedroom 2

I think this one needs fixing but I can’t remember. Bar Setting Exterior

This was my first attempt a long time ago. Episode Edit

1 Like

Oh okay well you definitely have the idea, but i think your issue is INTESTINITY
did you edit the backgrounds on the photo or did you use separate layers

1 Like

The first and second bedrooms were on the original image per se. I messed with the exposure and saturation since I didn’t know what I was doing at the time. For the bar one and episode edit I used layers I think. It’s been some time since I worked on them so I can’t exactly remember what I did. Though the bar one is more in the air since that was a requested item and I can’t remember if the artist made the night version or if I made the night version myself if that makes sense. Sorry, I know this might be confusing.

1 Like

Yes messing with exposer is what you need to do.
You will probably have to start over with your backgrounds.
I woukd suggest duplicating the background of what u are editing on so that there are 2 layers of the same background. Mess with the exposer and if its too intence you can always set that layer to what ever opacity u want i suggest starting at 50% going by 5s

1 Like

Oh okay! So I was on the right track then! I will try that out but it will have to be tomorrow since I’m about to go to bed soon. I’m off tomorrow so I’ll start working with it when I get up then post it here as well.

1 Like

Thats fine tell me how it goes~
good night

but also know how you want the character to look on the background because the character will not change so if you also want the character to be in the same setting there is an Ovrlay called DIM 60 i am sorry i cant recall the actual name. But if you want to use that you would have to do a different approach

1 Like

Okay good to know! I will keep that in mind. I’ll see what I can do with the dim overlay. I think I know what you are talking about though in case I need to go that route.

1 Like