Can someone make me a tappable overlay timer template?

fantastic < that wasn’t sarcastic

1 Like

@Caitoriri I was wondering if the readers click on the choice at time will the time up overlay still occur? (I know this is a silly question)

1 Like

It’s not a silly question, it’s totally possible actually! I’ve never had that problem before, but if you do, you can add overlay TIME UP opacity 0 under all the branches and so even if the time up overlay does move onto the screen, it will be invisible and no longer selectable. so the story should continue as though it’s not there and the reader should be none the wiser.

2 Likes

@Caitoriri I am flabbergasted you’re a coding genius! Can’t wait to read your zombie story, I freakin love zombies :hugs:

1 Like

Can you DM me the overlays please?

Hey! I see @Caitoriri (you holy epy coding genius! :open_mouth:) already came to OP’s rescue, but I thought it might not be too late to show my tappable overlay timer and maybe help someone out there :blush: This is just a quick test to show what this would look like (I’m not writing a story on Episode at the moment), but all you’d need is add more choice overlays and just repeat the coding for the previous choice overlay while placing it correctly. Sorry for the bad image quality, it’s also pretty fast, but you get the idea:

Chose Time's%20up

PLACEMENT
For zone 1, “Shoot” (CHOICE_SHOOT) and “Time’s up” (TIMESUP) tappable overlays are placed at 41 187.
Which means that a second choice tappable overlay would be placed at 41 146,
a third choice at 41 105,
a fourth choice at 41 64, and so on.
Those are the default placements in zone 1 for regular Episode choices so no one can really tell the difference between your overlay and a regular choice.

OVERLAYS
For the timer, I used 6 different overlays:
Overlays
Here’s a choice overlay to use with the code template below, you just need to change the text if you want (it’s big I know, the code below will resize it):

CODE FOR THE SCENE IN THE GIFS
INT. MECHANICAL LAB - NIGHT
@add Handgun to AUTHOR
&AUTHOR stands screen left AND AUTHOR faces right AND AUTHOR is draw_gun
@pause for 1
@AUTHOR starts idle_hold_gun
sound gun_cocking

AUTHOR
(Crap crap crap!)

@overlay CHOICE_SHOOT create AND overlay CHOICE_SHOOT scales to 0.8 0.8 AND overlay CHOICE_SHOOT shifts to 41 187 AND overlay CHOICE_SHOOT opacity 1.0
@overlay TIMESUP create AND overlay TIMESUP scales to 0.8 0.8 AND overlay TIMESUP shifts to 0 1000 AND overlay TIMESUP opacity 1.0
&overlay TIMER_FULL create AND overlay TIMER_FULL scales to 0.3 0.3 AND overlay TIMER_FULL shifts to 251 233 AND overlay TIMER_FULL opacity 1.0 AND overlay QUARTER_FULL create AND overlay QUARTER_FULL scales to 0.3 0.3 AND overlay QUARTER_FULL shifts to 277 259 AND overlay QUARTER_FULL opacity 1.0 THEN overlay QUARTER_FULL rotates 90 anchor point 0 0 in 1.0 THEN overlay QUARTER_FULL clear THEN overlay QUARTER_EMPTY create AND overlay QUARTER_EMPTY scales to 0.3 0.3 AND overlay QUARTER_EMPTY shifts to 277 259.25 AND overlay QUARTER_EMPTY opacity 1.0 THEN overlay QUARTER_EMPTY rotates 90 anchor point 0 0 in 1.0 THEN overlay QUARTER_EMPTY2 create AND overlay QUARTER_EMPTY2 scales to 0.3 0.3 AND overlay QUARTER_EMPTY2 shifts to 277.2 259.25 AND overlay QUARTER_EMPTY2 opacity 1.0 THEN overlay QUARTER_EMPTY2 rotates 90 anchor point 0 1 in 1.0 THEN overlay QUARTER_EMPTY3 create AND overlay QUARTER_EMPTY3 scales to 0.3 0.3 AND overlay QUARTER_EMPTY3 shifts to 277.30 259.25 AND overlay QUARTER_EMPTY3 opacity 1.0 THEN overlay QUARTER_EMPTY3 rotates 90 anchor point 1 1 in 1.0 THEN overlay TIMER_FULL clear THEN overlay QUARTER_EMPTY clear THEN overlay QUARTER_EMPTY2 clear THEN overlay QUARTER_EMPTY3 clear AND overlay CHOICE_SHOOT shifts to 0 1000 in 0 THEN overlay TIMESUP shifts to 41 187 in 0 AND overlay TIMESUP opacity 1.0 in 0.25 AND overlay TIMER_EMPTY create AND overlay TIMER_EMPTY scales to 0.3 0.3 AND overlay TIMER_EMPTY shifts to 251 233 AND overlay TIMER_EMPTY opacity 1.0 THEN overlay TIMER_EMPTY opacity 0 in 0.25 THEN overlay TIMER_EMPTY opacity 1.0 in 0.25 THEN overlay TIMER_EMPTY opacity 0 in 0.25

tappable “CHOICE_SHOOT”{
gain SHOT
INT. MECHANICAL LAB - NIGHT
@add Handgun to AUTHOR
@AUTHOR stands screen left AND AUTHOR faces right AND AUTHOR is shoot_loop
sound gunshots3
@AUTHOR exits left AND AUTHOR is run_athletic

}“TIMESUP”{
gain DIDNOTSHOOTs
@overlay TIMESUP clear
@remove Handgun from AUTHOR
sound gunshot
@AUTHOR starts fall
}

I included the whole scene because it might be important to note that in order for this to work properly, the scene needs to be “restarted” when the player taps the tappable overlay before the timer runs out. Otherwise it glitches, the timer doesn’t disappear, the choice isn’t tappable, etc. So continuity is an important factor here, but I don’t think it’s an issue.

Anyway, I hope to see lots of Episode authors using timed choices and customize them in all kinds of ways :blush: I’m excited to see the results of the thriller contest and I wish everyone luck!
Hope I’ve helped~

5 Likes

What is the chpt.1 or times up overlay?

How did you show the moving pictures

You mean the gifs? Or the animated timer? :slightly_smiling_face:

The one in the post above shows a moving picture showing the story. It shows the author holding a gun

Oh, it’s a recording from the “Preview” tool on the Writer’s Portal. I just used PowerPoint to record my screen, saved the mp4 files, and used Photoshop to convert them into gifs (moving pictures) :blush:

1 Like

Wait I am confused can I pm you

Sure! Sorry I didn’t elaborate, I just don’t want to be off-topic :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

omfg please send me the overlays and the script please i’ll shout u out and make sure to credit u pleasee

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MDeo36YE1zBJlNILe4oTKK9r29bwxZJT
Here’s a link to my google drive! I’ve uploaded two scripts: one for 3 options and one for two options.
I’ve also uploaded a variety of colors of timer you can choose from (green, blue, pink, and the original purple).
I’ve also uploaded the choice “buttons” so you have an example of the size they should be.

@Jayden_cant_official you can find the overlays here too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks!!

Should I give you credit?

Could I use this please?

I am using it, it’s great! I am doing a blue one. I think all you need to do is give @Caitoriri credit.

1 Like

Ok thsnk you