Cannot move character to different zone and layer

Hi I’m new to to episode creating and am just getting started on my first story.

I had my character enter from right to screen center in zone 3. Then put @CHARACTER moves to layer 5 as I had seen on a yt tutorial. When I went to preview she did not enter the scene. I panned to the other zones and low and behold she was in zone 1, in layer 3, the layer she was in before I edited the script. I don’t know how to take a picture of my problem on the computer but I have copied and pasted the lines below.

@CASS enters from right to screen center in zone 3
@CASS moves to layer 5

I have also tried @CASS enters from right to screen center in zone 3 at layer 5

Any help will be appreciated, thank you

Can you copy your script starting from the background insertion?

If you do it like this it should work:

BACKGROUND NAME
&cut to zone 3 AND zoom reset
@CAS enters from right to screen center AND CAS moves to layer 5

yes I’ll do that

INT. NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM - DAY with DESK SCIENCE with INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW FAR CHAIR - DAY in zone 3

@overlay DESK SCIENCE shifts to 10 -17 in zone 1
@overlay DESK SCIENCE scales to 1.000 1.000
@overlay DESK SCIENCE moves to layer 3

@overlay INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW FAR CHAIR moves to layer 4

NARRATOR
He had been going to help her with an exhibit she was to put on for a group of middle schools in the area.

@pan to zone 3

@CASS enters from right to screen center in zone 3
@CASS moves to layer 5

Thank you! I’ll try that

Try this:

When you use the “with” next to your title, I don’t think you can spot direvt it afterwards like you did. Might have been the problem.

Ok I copied and pasted this into my script, and changed Cass’ entrance to “@CASS enters from right to screen center AND CASS moves to layer 5” and also added “in zone 3” to the chair.

INT. NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM - DAY
&cut to zone 1 AND zoom reset
&overlay DESK SCIENCE create and overlay DESK SCIENCE opacity 1
&overlay INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW FAR CHAIR - DAY create and overlay INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW FAR CHAIR - DAY opacity 1 in zone 3

NARRATOR
He had been going to help her with an exhibit she was to put on for a group of middle schools in the area.

@pan to zone 3 AND zoom reset
@CASS enters from right to screen center in zone 3 AND CASS moves to layer 5

It didn’t work out too well lol the chair is now in zone 1 and Cass is not in any of the zones. Do you know how I would get the chair back in zone 3, or any other suggestions of getting Cass back into the background in zone 3?

You can’t add the zone number to the “enters” command. If you want them to enter in zone 3, you have to cut to that zone first then make them enter.

@cut to zone 3
@CASS enters from right to screen center and CASS moves to layer 5

Although when it comes to layering, it’s always best to use spot direction instead of the enters command and default positions. Using the default positions and enters command places the character at a default layer.

1 Like

Oh thanks I’ll fix that

Whoo I got the character back. Thank you @Dara.Amarie!

Yes, you can add the overlay to the background and still use the overlay commands.

Thank you both of you, @Dara.Amarie and @Emma_episode_03 ! She is in the right zone now. I just need to figure out how to get the chair back in zone 3

You can just add the overlays to the background name.

INT. NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM - DAY with DESK SCIENCE to 1.000 10 -17 in zone 1 at layer 3 with INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW FAR CHAIR - DAY in zone 3 at layer 4
&cut to zone 1 AND zoom reset

1 Like

Ok I’ve got everything in the right zones. Now I can’t seem to get the layers right. I am trying to get the chair in layer 4 and the character in layer 5 so the character will be in front of the chair. And then when I get them in the right layers, I will spot direct where I want the chair. I must be doing something wrong because the character is remaining behind the chair.

INT. NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM - DAY with DESK SCIENCE with INT. CLASS ROOM WITH WINDOW FAR CHAIR - DAY in zone 3

NARRATOR

@pan to zone 3 AND zoom reset
@CASS enters from right to screen center AND CASS moves to layer 5

Like Dara said above, the character will be at the default layer (layer 3) when you use “enters from” command. You need to use spot direction and place your character offscreen, then make your character walk to that spot onscreen.

Also, you’re missing the " - DAY" in the overlay name.

Ohh I get it now. Changing it

Thank you so much all of you. It’s perfect now.