Caribbean people, where you at? Feel free to talk in alluh dialect

So, what are the challenges do you have as a Carribbean author?
(Wat iz d challenge alluh does hav writing alluh thing?)
Did you write your story in your dialect, language or slang?
(Alluh does write in alluh language?)
-I don’t have have anything Caribbean in my story in the fear that people don’t understand or they might get offended.
(I doh put dem ting in meh story, cuz ppl nuh going to understand and dey go take thing srs.)

• I might translate one of my chapters, not sure yet.
    ( i go write one ah meh thing in the story in d way i does talk. I doh know yet.)
    -I have a weird sense of humour, people do get offended.
    (I izza rel clown, ppl go take thing srs.)
    -Drop your author name in the app, I would love to read your story. (Don’t put too much details before someone splits the thread)
    (Drop yuh thing na i wa read it. Doh put too much ting na…).
4 Likes

Which country are you from? :crazy_face:

Me is Trinidadian

3 Likes

I don’t write for Episode, I recognized what you were saying and I just had to ask!

2 Likes

Oh okies. That’s quite fine.

2 Likes

Well at the moment I’m looking for some tropical or Caribbean backgrounds

I am from Dominican Republic :dominican_republic:

5 Likes

I’m always happy to see more Caribbean family on the platform, I’m from the Bahamas but I love me some Trini music too :wink: especially Kes!!!

Wat iz d challenge alluh does hav writing alluh thing?)
Sometime I does have lil trouble deciding whether I should use my dialect or not when writing, it’s kinda awkward writing a story centred around Caribbean people when I don use our cultural languages. Also it’s how people dem don always understand the culture so I does have to avoid sayin certain tings as they may take it different

Alluh does write in alluh language?
Sometime I do, but only on occasion and when I so I put the translation deh as well

But my story is called Love Octagon, aside from one character from London, I have an entirely Caribbean cast. I tried to represent as much Caribbean ethnic groups and nationalities as I could to really reflect how diverse the Caribbean is, many people don’t know how much diversity this region has. I have some African, Hispanics, European, Indian, Taino and Chinese characters. I really want to represent all Caribbean people but I have a lot more historical research to do as I’m soon introducing more characters

But heres the link if yuh wan read it
http://episodeinteractive.com/s/4748009143664640

5 Likes

That’s always the challenge. I’m diaspora so I can’t write or speak dialect. For me I try to reflect a character’s heritage through their family or something else I can write into the story.

3 Likes

Some of my family lives in Trinidad!

3 Likes

Well you can still incorporate a bit of slang, some of my characters are of different nationalities so I get help from others if I have to write their line in their language

I wouldn’t say I’m Caribbean, but I lived most of my life hella close to Trinidad and Tobago…

3 Likes

I’d probably have to ask my cousins then. I realized that the way they speak is different from our parents.

2 Likes

I understand what you’re saying but this is where we show our creativity and talent and try not to rely on episode. I know a lot of people struggle with dis as well though just saying eh.

I make meh own stuff/ edit it. Ah not a professional but ah try to be.

Here is some stuff I edit (make it cartoon like, changed the size). You’re free to use it.

Credit is optional because I didn’t make the background. I edit it. Found it in pixabay.
CARIBBEAN SEA

Trinidad (Not sure of the the location in which part in TRINIDAD lol )
This is 2 zone

BEACH in DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
pretty image (1)

1 Like

Yes Ikr very hard to find them in here. But I saw a lot in the app nuh sure if they’re in here.

Soca is d thing. Buh I doh really listen to those music anymore.

Yup the dialect is a big thing.

Our culture tend to be a bit rough buh we don’t mean anything bad by it. So the way we speak, the tone might sound rough.

I read 4 chapters of your story. I love it. Love how you introduce the lovely beach it was welcoming.

Doh worry I nuh going to steal yuh stuff lol. I write ¾ of mines already. Nuh even sure if I’ll incorporate Caribbean things. Perhaps when I’m making a next story I’ll do it. idk.

2 Likes

Yea these Trinis all over d place

3 Likes

lol That’s fine all are welcome.

1 Like

Especially here in NY

1 Like

I wouldn’t doubt that.

1 Like

Thank you so much, glad ya liked it

1 Like

Say it sista! :v:t3: :bahamas:

4 Likes

Yes, I love soca music, not that much but I still love listening to it.

1 Like