Cat breed? Help!

Thank you for your response though! :joy::joy::blush:

I also work with an animal rescue.

To me she looks like she is probably an orange tabby (coloration) domestic short or long hair (it’s hard to tell sometimes how long their fur will stay,but her hair looks like it may stay medium length). Domestic short/long hair cats come in a variety of colors (gray, tuxedo, black, tabby, orange, white, calico, tortoise, etc).

Because the “M” shape on her head is not super defined, I would not think she has any kind of Maine Coon in her personally. The M tends to be very dark and defined on Maine Coons. I think that is just her pattern. I also don’t think that she is Siamese because she doesn’t have any of the patterning of a Siamese nor does she have blue eyes.

Polydacty syndrome doesn’t really tend to tell you anything about the breed since its just a dominant trait (like having multiple fingers for humans). We just had a polydactyl grey and white tabby domestic short hair get adopted.

Personality doesn’t tell you a whole lot either since that is going to very from cat to cat (and with age). My cat is very talkative and people-oriented compared to his biological siblings, but he is just a domestic short hair.

3 Likes

My friend’s mom breeds and shows Maine Coons and rag dolls, she says unless a cat is pedigreed there is no “breed”, just the classification of domestic short haired/long haired. I have two fur children from a shelter, they both look like they could be mixed with some proper breed of cat but technically they’re just domestic long hairs.

2 Likes

They’re super cute!
Based on the information, do you think my cat will be long haired then?

I’d say you have an orange and white tabby cat (cats without a specific breed are also classified by color and pattern), there’s no telling if she’ll be short or long haired though, like Purple_Ghost said it’s hard to tell how long fur will stay. You’ll find out once she’s all grown up.

1 Like

Some cats are just domestic long or short haired. They are not a pedigree breed. But unless you bought your cat as a specific breed then you will have to wait until your cat is older to find out. I had a cat encyclopaedia. It has information on all cat breeds and how to identify them. If you want I can post some pages when I get home from school.