Character development: how to?

Hey everyone, so I am writing a new story called Deadly game (see description and story link here)

I’m wondering how to master character development. My story is planned to be very short, so it is quite difficult for me to develop the MC in such a short amount of episode. My question is: what according to you makes character development? Is it dialogue, the way the characters dresses, the backstory of the character, or anything else?

Thanks to everyone that will reply, it will help me a lot! :two_hearts:

1 Like

bump

hmm good question. it depend on which character but exemple of one of my upcomming story , the MC 's development is on how she act , her personality etc… you need to ask yourself the question like “if she could travel anywhere , where would it be?” , “if she see her idol , how would she react” etc…

1 Like

To me it’s how she/he has changed throughout the entire story.
Example in the beginning she hated x
In the middle x happened
In the end she now loves x

There are also static characters that don’t change at all during the story (Kinda like Sheldon in the Big Bang theory)

2 Likes

I’d have to disagree here. His changes were subtle but they were changes nonetheless.

Character development is literally just how your character grows. For example, they may have had a particular view but changed perspectives. Or they used to have a negative attitude but now have a positive ones.

Simply changing behaviour of a character throughout the story due to the influence of certain factors (I.e friends, lover, health) is a great way to show character development.

2 Likes

bump

I think the best way to develop characters in a story is to show who they are through their actions and the plot of the story. How they react to other characters, events in their life, what they think, everything. Each line of your story has to contribute toward this; you have to tell the reader something about your character every few lines—no matter how small, especially when you’re writing a short story. Sometimes it feels necessary to actually write down vital information like their age, where they stay or what they do through narration, but if you’re smart, there’s very easy ways to imply it through what you write.

Aside from this, make sure you know your characters well before you write. Some people use tools like charts and webs, others like list down important things like their personality traits, quirks, fears and how they grow by the end of the story. I prefer doing it in my head. Either way, make sure your characters are imperfect and unique, and remember to have THEIR thoughts be conveyed throughout the story, not your own.

That’ll be all from me! Good luck with your story :heart:

1 Like

Ok so I’m by no means an expert but I think each character should overcome some sort of obstacle (whether it by physical, psychological, spiritual, or cultural). Or, they should expand their mindset in some way. An example being a super carefree character becomes more serious and grounded b/c they realized that actions have consequences (something like that). The characters overall should mature throughout the story and be faced w/ lessons that challenge their already existing views

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.