Choice within choice

Hey! So I’m trying to write an advanced story and it will have multiple endings based on points. The player will get to choose an action that’ll trigger an ending (only if they have enough points for that action), and I wanted the points to be involved even more, so I was thinking, if they did pick that action to trigger ending A, can I somehow add another choice that’ll also be based off points, so when they pick the action for ending A, they’ll get another choice that can mess up their ending depending on how many points in total they have.

I’m not the best at explaining so if you’re confused let me know and I’ll try explain it better! Thanks <3

Hey, so if I’m understanding correctly, you have multiple branches the reader can play based on points, and you want to know if they can somehow switch to a new branch because of a choice, even when they have already begun one?

If that is what you’re getting at, then definitely (if you code it that way)! Let’s say you have three endings - MC ends up with CHARACTER 1, MC ends up with CHARACTER 2, MC ends up with no one. It really depends on what the action that triggers the ending is, but I would probably code something like:

label prom_choice

NARRATOR
Who would you like to go to prom with?

choice (PROM) “CHARACTER 1.” {
if (CHARACTER 1 >10) {

MAIN CHARACTER
Yes, I'll go to prom with you, CHARACTER 1!

#The reader officially plays CHARACTER 1’s branch

} else {

NARRATOR
You do not have enough points to go to prom with CHARACTER 1. Please choose another character.

goto prom_choice

}
} “CHARACTER 2.” {

if (CHARACTER 2 >10) {

MAIN CHARACTER
Yes, I'll go to prom with you, CHARACTER 2!

#The reader officially plays CHARACTER 2’s branch

} else {

NARRATOR
You do not have enough points to go to prom with CHARACTER 2. Please choose another character.

goto prom_choice

}

} “No one.” {

MAIN CHARACTER
Honestly, I think I would rather be my own prom date.

#The reader officially plays the no relationship branch

}

So for the characters in this situation to go to the prom with the character of their choice, they have to have more than 10 character points. But let’s say that if they have between 10-15 points, their relationship is a little rockier and you want to present them with another choice, where if they choose wrong, they’ll be sent to the no relationship branch. I would do something like this:

if (CHARACTER 1 <15) {

CHARACTER 1
MAIN CHARACTER, can I have this dance?

choice “Only if I get to lead!” {

@CHARACTER 1 is laugh_chuckle

CHARACTER 1
Deal.

goto CHARACTER1_confirmed

} “But what if people see us?” {

CHARACTER 1
If you're that concerned about being seen, we should've never come here together in the first place.

#CHARACTER 1 leaves

goto norelationship_prom

}

} else {

CHARACTER 1
MAIN CHARACTER, let's dance.

goto CHARACTER1_confirmed

}

label CHARACTER1_confirmed

#They dance, having either made the decision to dance and averted the choice that would mess up their ending, or having had enough points to avoid the situation all together

label norelationship_prom

MAIN CHARCATER 
Well, looks like I'm all alone at prom.

#They would’ve played this route if they chose to be alone at prom initially, or if they messed up their ending by rejecting their prom date’s dance request

I hope this is what you were looking for!

1 Like

Thank you so much you’re an absolute lifesaver, this is my first story and for some reason I decided to make it super complicated despite it being my first, but I’m learning, and this definitely helped a lot! I’m super grateful thank youuuu

1 Like

You’re very welcome! I’m always happy to help. Feel free to message me here or DM me @rachelonepisode on Instagram if you need help with anything!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.