Claiming Work (And Demanding Credit..)

I was going through some background/overlay creators, and I pressed on one of them. I read through the rules:

Ok. pretty straight forward.

The backgrounds weren’t anything special, however, it was the overlays that caught my attention. Firstly being, the food.

I’ve seen this being claimed by MULTIPLE people, so I looked it up, and…

There we go.

Next up: Misc

Me: Huh… The art style is really different throughout these images…

Must I say anything else?
There were many more examples, but I think this is enough.
They are screen shots to prove I wasn’t downloading the pictures, then putting them here.

So, my final words:

DO NOT CLAIM ANYTHING THAT DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU. I DON’T CARE IF IT’S “COPYRIGHT FREE”, YOU DIDN’T MAKE IT.

Ok, that’s it.

29 Likes

ty for this. :+1:t3:

4 Likes

yeah a lot of authors have the same folders of overlays.
I mean in my drive I have overlays that some authors are slapping their watermark on. like sis😂
of course i am not asking for credit.

10 Likes

People with drives aren’t always asking for credit because they made the items, but because they found them. I’m not excusing any aggravating messages or comments you might have received, I’m just letting you know why credit is important. The reason most directors/authors look within drives for overlays is because it’s easier to search and grab images that have been resized and neatly organized into folders rather than do a thorough search on google. And they appreciate someone else doing the busy work and therefore give the drive owner the credit they ask for.

5 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is related to Episode. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

Credit should never be given to the person that didn’t make whatever they’re demanding credit for. Point blank period. Just because you found something, doesn’t mean you created it. So why the hell should someone give you credit for it? That’s like me finding some random IG video & then demanding credit from everyone reposting it. :thinking: Now how does THAT make sense?

5 Likes

I completely agree with this. Taking the time out of their day to resize, download, test it out in the app, rename it. Yeah I get it. I get why they want someone to credit them. But I don’t think they should necessarily “demand” it. They shouldn’t have to say “If you don’t credit me, I’ll report you and block you and, send the troops to harass you instagram” lol.
Because all you did was resize it.
I feel like in that moment. Credit should be optional.
If that makes sense. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for making a thread about this. You could’ve said it better because some artists and editors get overlays and backgrounds from Google, and anywhere else that might have backgrounds that are free. An editor shouldn’t claim something that they didn’t make themselves. It’s not their work.

3 Likes

I agree with you 100% if you didn’t make it, don’t claim credit for it :+1:

2 Likes

I just want to add on that it doesn’t matter if you spent a lot of time finding items (it’s appreciated) but telling people to credit you is highly unjust since you didn’t create it. You don’t credit someone if they found an item, you credit them if they made it. If I were to do this, I would not allow myself to be credited since they aren’t my creations and I certainly wouldn’t call them “my overlays” since I did not make them. Credit the source, the original one. It’s good you did research into this, it’s definitely stealing. Feel free to say someone found it, but don’t say they made it when they didn’t and don’t say the credit goes to them. It’s just really wrong. It’s a bad thing to do.

Thank you for this post, hopefully people don’t ask for credit for something that they found online and instead ask for credit for things that they’ve poured their blood, sweat and tears into making. Sure searching for items requires time and effort, but at the end of the day, it isn’t your item to take credit of, it’s someone else’s - don’t be a thief, be a good person :black_heart:

8 Likes

If finding a certain image online and editing it in order to fit Episode’s guides isn’t worthy of credit, everyone would do it.

1 Like

Why would you demand credit of something you did not create? Resizing does not take a lot of time, at all.

8 Likes

I would like to first disagree with the word demand. If a person doesn’t want to credit me with whats on my drive or in my shop, they are under no pressure to use the images within them.
And resizing isn’t the only factor when editing and online image. MB size is an issue that many directors come across when using online images and resizing isn’t the answer. The quality is also important. If an image is low, I redraw and reshape. There’s also a matter of brands and logos that need to be removed in a way that doesn’t make the image look sloppy. I also receive a lot of specific images for clothing or accessories that can ride on a character accurately, which means I have to pull apart things and reconstruct them. I have many examples if you would like to speak to me in a pm.

1 Like

True.

It takes few minutes to make an overlay out of any background.

If you search for pics, it is entirely your initiative. Search fact doesn’t mean u deserve a credit, Honestly u don’t deserve it at all. U r a thief.

5 Likes

Again, if it was all as simple as that, everyone would do it themselves.

1 Like

And what is ur point exactly? Just cause it requires certain skill/knowledge it means u can keep doing illegal things? What r u, 5?

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but I’m failing to understand your argument.
Anyone can do it, but not everyone will. It’s simple.

I have a perfect example for you that I’d like to explain before I say anything else:
When I was in the video editing community, I decided to give back to my followers and CREATE overlays of my own & give those overlays away to them. However, I ran into MULTIPLE people taking the overlays that I created and adding it into their own giveaway, asking for credit. How is that fair?

My point is, you cannot demand credit from people for finding an image SOMEONE else created & resizing it to fit the Episode’s guides. You can’t. It’s not yours to get credit from.

Anyone can download a free editing program, heck, even use an online one and use art from someone else, resize it, upload it to a drive, then demand credit for it. It doesn’t take long. Again, ANYONE can do it but not everyone will. I’ve done it multiple times because of how easy it is.

At the end of the day, don’t take credit for something you did not create. VIA credits would be a lot more practical.

10 Likes

Hopefully one day, you can speak to the people around without sarcasm.

1 Like

Hopefully I won’t. Otherwise I couldn’t stand being here

4 Likes

Oh well, this is completely different. I am not speaking about obvious overlays that already exist. I’m speaking on things like an actually image of a real car.

2 Likes