Clearing Some Stuff Up About Race, POC, Diversity and Racism

You know what? I challenge you to find a dictionary definition of discrimination that says it’s an individual thing. And I’ll challenge you to find a dictionary definition of racism where it says it’s only systemic.

You realise that the verb “to discriminate” means “to differentiate”, right? A whole society can recognise differences :joy::joy::joy:

The definition in the dictionary changes based on how people speak. That’s why you’ll find the word selfie.

LOL! Do you think words just pop into existence for you to define and no one else can change them?

I have a dictionary from 1970. I have one from 2018. They both define racism the same way.

And neither of them claim that it’s anything to do with systems. Neither of them say that discrimination is an individual act either.

I’m talking about the sociological definition. The study of people. Everyday language trends fluctuate based on the connotations of certain words. Scientifc definitions tend not to change very much because they’re based on research.

When a person tries to argue against the dictionary, they’re just patently wrong.

Earlier you said the every day definition. Why do you keep changing your mind?

If racism was systemic and discrimination was individual, then the dictionary wouldn’t be able to define racism as discrimination. It does though, doesn’t it? I copied it twice.

Wow thats crazy. Literally read my responses. I definately specified my source

“Used by sociologists” is a source??? I’ll give you a Harvard sociology report right now that says that racism is an ideology, racial discrimination is an action and racial inequality is an outcome. Want that?

Racism is the belief that a race is superior to another. Racial discrimination is the unequal treatment of different races (by a government OR an individual) and racial inequality is the outcome of racial prejudice. That’s what it says. Do you want proof?

And I’m also pretty sure you skimmed this article without actually reading it properly, because you brought up the same points, but came to different conclusions :joy::joy::joy:

The funny thing is that it’s defines institutional racism as different from straightforward racism, which is the first thing I did when I spoke to you.

Im confused. Oxford isn’t a source? I’m not about to start citing my sociology books. This is an episode forum. Also I literally used the world ideology a couple posts ago, but I’m not arguing about whether or not race is real (even though I implied it isn’t). I’m arguing about the definition of words.

I don’t see your source. I see a source about appropriation.

Neither am I. I’m not arguing if race is real. I’m telling you, factually, that racism is not specifically about systems.

I mean, race is definitely a social construct… but then so is money. Is money real?

I don’t see tortoises exchanging coins for food. Do you?