Cliché, so sick of it

I don’t mind the last one as long as the point is made that the makeover really just boosted their confidence and got the love interest to see other things about the person they didn’t realize before (about their personality, not their looks).

4 Likes

Exactly! Episode needs to divide pregnancy and non-pregnancy stories, as well as bad boy ones, since the app has so many of them. They’re being used too much. People don’t want to read the same storyline a billion times with different characters. Nope, we want a new fresh change, a surprise, heck even throw in a sweet lover. The app should not be promoting bad boy stories and pregnancy stories since they have a targeted age group. People could end up being influenced into thinking these relationships glorify romance when in fact they’re violent, unhealthy, and sickening. I’m all for writing what you want, but the same cliche story? It just gets annoying. I cannot tell you how many mafia stories are on the app-SO many (I was actually scammed in something by a girl who writes mafia stories, maybe that’s why I’m bitter lol).And the last one-omg, yes, be yourself, never change for a guy, never change for someone else ever-if you love makeup, boy or girl, wear it and rock that look or if you don’t wanna wear makeup and/or you do wear glasses, then go ahead. Each and every one of us was born with so much inner beauty. We are all beautiful, we don’t need people telling us to change how we look or telling us what we should wear-no, freedom to express myself in any way I want.

7 Likes

(Sorry if I misinterpreted you!) I agree that everyone has their little thing to boost their confidence.But I ABSOLUTELY hate when the LI (usually an misunderstood bad boy.) only noticed she had a good personality after her makeover?! Leading me to disagree with your last point. The ‘Bad Boy’ should try to approach her before and learn about her instead of repeating the flirt_shy action after he sees her makeover!

Your’s truly,
Kylie❤️
(P.S~ Agian, sorry if I received your comment the wrong way!)

4 Likes

I also wanted to comment in regards to you saying that, I think Episode is going against their own guidelines!?

1 Like

I agree with you, you should always be confident without/with a makeover-a love interest-the person of your dreams should love you regardless of what is on your naturally beautiful face. “The point is made the makeover boosted their confidence”, is great, since makeover can boost one’s confidence, but the guy will notice. A girl should never try to get a guy this way ever. Period. Don’t change yourself, right? Btw we do crazy things when we’re in love (I’m guilty of this lol). But it’s important to fall for personality, not looks. And in regards to Episode going against its own guidelines, this is not something new lol, I’m sure it happens a lot more than we think. But overall, it’s an awesome app that brought people together. A community of wonderful writers, readers, editors, reviewers, etc.

4 Likes

The last part and up, I totally agree. So much stories THAT ARE ORIGINAL are made. But I think their should be a scanner to test out stories by Episode before publishing. I should make a thread.

1 Like

Having a scanner seems like a good idea but can prove problematic for some writers. They should just have a category (or more) added on the app in addition to drama, comedy, romance, adventure, action, horror, thriller, mystery, etc and those categories could be “bad boys, mafia stories, pregnancy stories, etc” that way people who love reading cliches or those types of stories can read that and people who want to read other things (like moi) can search up non-cliche stories to read. Heck, if they could give us an option to select preferences on what we, as a reader, would like to see on Episode, I would select “Please NO bad boy stories or pregnant stories”. That way, Episode could give me a fresh list of stories that I found enjoyable, instead of having to go through so many cliche stories on the app just to find one that doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a cliche.

4 Likes

Preach Diana, Preach !

2 Likes

Not Another Teen Movie pretty much covered all the clichés in a grossly hilarious way. Before there was Episode, there were teen movies…

“Anyone but Janie Briggs! She’s got glasses and a ponytail!”

9 Likes

Oh my gosh, I get so annoyed that they don’t recognise each other even though they literally only wear a mask that covers their eyes (lol well it covers around their eyes) and they see each other every single day :triumph::joy:

4 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Everything you guys mentioned was really true, thank you for sharing your points of view :heart::heart::kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Unfortunately it’s very rare that this is the message portrayed. Makeovers are used for the MCs to get noticed and be popular. That’s the only way I’ve ever seen them written. Usually in stories it’s a way to change yourself to get recognition from others, that you wouldn’t have got by being yourself.

3 Likes

Hi, you didn’t misinterpret what I said, but I do feel the need to explain further. Sure, guys shouldn’t just all of a sudden like a woman/girl because of her newly changed looks and not to get to know her personality first. But that is not always realistic. Most guys will say her looks are what initially draw him in and then they get to know her personality and decide then if they want to persue further. This is certainly not fair, but it happens, more likely with younger guys before they learn what’s important.

I’m definitely in agreement that a girl shouldn’t change her looks for a guy but as @JemU776 said, been thought it’s wrong, sometimes you may do so anyhow, thinking about your feelings about the guy and all. And perhaps, a younger woman or girl who is not as life experienced may feel that is necessary, when it’s really not.

Maybe, if an author did do a makeover story, they could have the MC do it to boost confidence and not for a guy. And if the MC does it for a guy, she may realize after getting the guy, perhaps that bad boy, he wasn’t worth doing it for and falls for the good guy who treats her better. If she is not doing it for a guy and the bad boy certainly falls for her after the makeover, she should not fall for him, realizing he’s disgenuine and fall for the good guy.

True, most times they are written incorrectly and that’s not right. It’s very rare, it’s written the way I described, which is unfortunate .

1 Like

I guess after my long winded reply, if this makeover plot is used, it should be used more as a life lesson, not as some Cinderella or naive fantasy type of story.

1 Like

i NEED to see that movie it’s seems funny and like bad in a good way but it’s not on netflix oR hulu and 3$ is wAy frickin above budget on youtube

2 Likes

Duplicate topic closed. Refer to original topic.

1 Like