Cliches to avoid when writing a story

I agree.

my sister and I dont have same father either, hers was not a constant figure either, he didn’t get a new family, but he rarely saw her.

though he is kinda making up for it now, as she has bought an old house, and he basically helping her fix it. doing just about everything needed to be done.

1 Like

My sister tried reaching out to him only once and that was when she was 13 right after she got into a huge fight with our mom, so she calls him begging him to let her move in with him and no surprise he pretty much tells her “no, I don’t know you so it’d be like living with a stranger” and was more worried about talking to our mom and catching up with her :woman_facepalming:t2:

Our mom is a piece of shit so to have to deal with that on top of knowing your biological father doesn’t want you either is crazy but thankfully my dad happily stepped in as dad to her and his whole side of the family welcomed her in with big loving open arms :hugs:

3 Likes

I’m glad your sister was able to reconnect with her biological father tho :relaxed: Wish my mom would’ve dipped when I was born like I said before it’s better for bad parents to be out of the kid’s lives then to be in it treating them badly :woman_shrugging:t2:

Kinda got off topic haha but it’s just weird asf seeing that stuff being glorified and easily forgiven in stories :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I definitely will read your story, because of that. :clap: I start to dislike stories with the cliché ‘I hate my ex because he/she is a cheating a**’ story-line. I have an ex I still can get along with, who didn’t cheat. So I don’t know why every ex needs to be a cheater. There are more reasons to break of a relationship. :woman_shrugging: Not only cheating. For example: you both grew out of love, but still care about each other. Or you discover both that over the years in the relationship, you both want totally different things.

3 Likes

Exactly! I’m so tired of toxic people. Sometimes an ex can be good storyline, but other times the jealousy is so unessisary and annoying

1 Like

The mean girls. I get it, at school we used to have some mean classmates, but it’s ridiculous that every time there is a story that takes place in high school the writers decides to add exactly three mean girls, usually one main ‘evil’ girl and another two who follow her around. Bullying is a real and very serious thing, and it often happens in ways that aren’t as in your face as this. Sadly most of the stories containing this cliché, including the official Episode ones, treat this topic without the seriousness that’s required just for the sake of having a ‘mean girl that hates the protagonist and has no other personality other than being mean and self centered’. And as I said, it’s misogynistic as well to show female characters in this light because these characters have no depth and no character development. It’s just lazy and ppredictable. Let’s write characters remembering that they’re supposed to act like human beings. And human beings have A LOT going on in their lives, despite how they may act. If you want to write an ‘evil’ character or an antagonist of any kind, keep that in mind!

3 Likes

As someone who had 3.75 years of real high school, I can confirm stereotypical mean girls aren’t real at least among honors students.

Also, Epis*de Originals like to make the MC scared of flying Every. Single. Goshdang. TIME. It’s the “weak anxiety” trope (huh, guess that’s a good name for it), and it’s sooooo stupid. Yes, plenty of people are afraid of flying, but not EVERYONE with anxiety is (I like flying). Turbulence can be freaky, but this trope makes me want to slap the characters because it’s weak and has no depth.

Edit: If you want to write a character with anxiety, Episode Originals are great ideas on what NOT to do.

4 Likes

One cliche thing I get tired of is the twins.
One of them is the mean girl and makes the MC her life miserable. And the MC is the nerd and anti social and her twin is the queen bee who wants to steal the LI,
And in two stories I have seen that the LI even confused them and slept with the mean twin, like why?

1 Like

I have anxiety and I hate flying! But I also hate boats, the sea, and cars on long road trips. But mainly because it stems from a great panic-inducing fear I have that involves motion sickness. However, I think that there should be either reasons for the fear or have it show up later. You can tell when it is solely for the purpose of the LI comforting the MC. I’ve never had that sort of relationship before, so idk if having someone comfort me like that in the moment would be helpful or not. I don’t think it would get rid of my fear of flying, or ease me for the entire flight. Perhaps it would stop a panic attack. But that’d be if I’m comfortable with the person, probably. If i wasn’t comfortable with the person and they’re attempting to comfort me, I’d feel awkward and like I was burdening them which could possibly heighten my anxiety. However, it would be sweet if that happened and I do think it would help.

I don’t like authors using anxiety for the sole purpose of the LI comforting the MC. They often don’t portray anxiety accurately at all. There’s a lot of feelings and thoughts surrounding anxiety that I don’t see a lot of stories showing.

I don’t really think these MC’s have heard of anxiety meds before, which doctors can give you for flying anxiety :joy:

2 Likes

Among honor students, no.

But I met the most rip-off mean girls at my school and was a victim of bullying, plus they had a litteral catfight and became friends right after. But they are always kids that are into vping and drgs. They have the attitude of the girls from the mean girls movie, but one, they don’t pull off pink and two, they don’t bully people to their face. They’re so nice until you get on their bad side. That said, they still aren’t great people

Same here. I have anxiety in general from violence, throwing up, stage fright, ect. But unless the character has consistent anxiety, anxiety for ONE THING is fairly tameable with meds, not some mediocre middle aged episode guy.

For one, you’re amazing :relieved:
For two, CHEATING? I have known actually a sad amount of players/cheaters in my life (from middle school to now it’s been bad) but there is so many other factors of a bad boyfriend. There are other reasons relationships end, and y’all make people scared of cheats because everyone’s having a cheatfest

Also, STOP :clap: MAKING :clap: EXES :clap: UGLY :clap:
Your character didn’t decide to date an *ss for his personality :woman_facepalming: whatever their preferences are for looks. Whatever is attractive to that character should be both in their LI and their ex. Not that they have to be the same by any means, but making them big nosed, skinny, with weird hair (NOT THAT THAT IS UGLY, BUT WE SEE THE POINT YOU’RE TRYING TO MAKE) (skinny guys are great) (weird hair tho? Why?) Is just not right-

3 Likes

Ex-act-ly! :point_up:t4:

2 Likes

Oh, vape girls. Vaping wasn’t a thing till my second year of high school, when it was suddenly everywhere.

1 Like

YES! :raised_hands:

Also I’d love to see a story where the ex is conventionally attractive and the LI isn’t.

4 Likes

That would be an interesting story (it would only work with no CC imo) that could serve as a commentary on inner vs outer beauty.

1 Like

Love the whole idea of these. Though everyone finds different features attractive/unattractive, so some people would still find the unconventionally attractive person attractive.

But I’m tired of everyone around the LI being obsessed with him. When will we get an average-looking man to other people who the MC still finds attractive? Other character’s actions say a lot

4 Likes

Or you can CC, but then it turns out, that’s the ex who you customized, not the LI.

2 Likes

Trolling :100:

Or just customize random characters for no reason.

2 Likes