Cliche's you hate!

I was raised this way too. It was always an option, and I actually had a pregnancy scare in college. Though I ended up not being pregnant, my mother told me she would support me if I chose to get an abortion.

So when I read that particular line I was like “uh-oh.”

4 Likes

Absolutely. Now note to the moderators this might seem off topic but it’s important and does tie in with cliche’s so please don’t delete this message!
Irl a friend of mine when we were about 14/15 posted their view about abortions. He believes abortions are absolutely a womans choice and then a fellow student at our school at the time messaged them attacking him with “You can’t kill a baby!”.
What I’m saying is at such young ages especially it can be hard to develop your own opinions and attempting to mention politically sensitive subjects can make writers feel uneasy. So it makes sense why they go with the cliche storyline of keeping the baby with the ‘bad boy’. I would however like to hear a new storyline for instance if the writers uncomfortable with abortion “I’m giving them up for adoption” or something similar. There are always alternatives to cliches so we should all try to think of more realistic and original plot twists!

2 Likes

100%

Their political views derive from how they were raised. And since they’re so young, the only understand the topics on a surface level, including abortion. So they aren’t entirely prepared to write about the topics without making at least one person upset.

Again, I know these writers are young, but the way they write about pregnancy is incredibly unrealistic. You don’t get morning sickness within the first few days of having sex. And also, how in world is every MC in a pregnancy story getting pregnant so fast?! There are people who try for months and years to get pregnant without success. I know its just a story but this trope alone really gets under my skin. :joy:

4 Likes

Ive never seen this on episode…

2 Likes

I merely meant good boys as in the ‘sporty rugby player that’s the most popular guy in school and who’s suddenly completely in love with you because you wore one expensive outfit to a beach party’

2 Likes

I love how u describe the boys​:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: The Holy Trinity - Bad Boys Good Boys and the Funny ones :joy::joy::joy: omggg yesss nailed ittt

3 Likes

Yep yep yep

1 Like

My favourite non cliche way to find out you’re pregnant is from the TV show Gilmore Girls. Lorelai who is typically a junk food eater suddenly has cravings for apples. She remembers when she was pregnant with her daughter Rory she ate A LOT of apples and for an entire episode she goes crazy thinking she’s pregnant until she takes a test and realises she’s not.
Like that’s a pretty :smirk: juicy alternative to cliche’s

4 Likes

suddenly a princess. sorry but there is to many of those. also many of them who write it dont even know how been in a mordern royale family is like. most of them actually dont have any power over there country. and yes i know mostly the countries are made up but still

4 Likes

Definitely! Take England for example which has a monarchy but is actually ran by the government and the priminister.

3 Likes

yes i live in monarchy. our royale family is litarally nothing but a tourist attraction

3 Likes

100% then again that might not make a very interesting story. However a scrappy girl becoming a princess and bringing back the monarchy and taking over a country, that would be a new twist and actually be interesting to read.

5 Likes
  • The bad boy he always has black hair and he always wears a jacket. The MC will always hate him in the beginning, but suddenly, he does something bland that humanizes him/she finds out he has a troubled background and she’s in love and wants to uncover those hidden depths. This is so annoying to me. EVERYONE HAS HIDDEN DEPTHS. Why is this dude particularly special?

• The internally misogynistic MC I know a lot of these authors are young. But one thing I always hated when I was in high school were those girls who were like “I’m not like other girls…I hang out with the boys…I don’t wear makeup…I don’t party…I don’t sleep around!” I watched my guy friends date girls like this and I couldn’t stand them. I remember thinking, “Yeah, you’re not like other girls. You’re worse.” I’m sure authors are just trying to be careful about glorifying drugs and underage drinking, but there is a way to do this without making the MC insufferable. Even though I’m older than the target demographic, I definitely couldn’t relate to girls like this in high school. Why would I want to insert myself as one into a game?

• The LI’s parent who hates the MC I guess there is a reason the whole Romeo and Juliet trope is popular, but I get super creeped out by stories where the parent is overly invested with who their kids are dating. Even if the person is a teenager, it just seems wildly inappropriate. This much involvement in a kid’s life gives them the dangerous about boundaries. And here stories are glorifying it.

• The college that is somehow no different from high school again, I know its because the writers might not have been to a university yet, but it drives me nuts. There are no cliques in college. People might act a certain way, but there are no popular kids or nerds or any of that. There are thousands of students at any given college, and they show up at any given time. No matter how small your college is, you’re unlikely to know about anyone outside your classes or social circles. Also, I was recently reading a story where the girl was like “I was shocked to see people at the library after school.” lol nobody has the same schedule in college. So there is no real “after school.”

• Pregnancy stories I hate these kinds of stories. They always misrepresent the way pregnancy works. Like @cece_hunter said, abortion is almost never an option. I know it’s a sensitive topic, but I think whenever you’re writing a story, a little research really wouldn’t hurt. Find out how pregnancy works. Find out how you can discuss other options tactfully. The extra time between sex and pregnancy can help you flesh out a storyline or tie up loose ends, depending on when the characters had sex. Even if you have to rewrite the story to make it realistic, it’s better than the MC smelling eggs after three days and vomitting everywhere.

• Not so much of a cliche but just a particular thing when the MC does that idle_awkward or idle_shocked whenever a guy is around for a full minute. It makes me so uncomfortable because in real life, while someone might take you by surprise, are you going to stare at someone mouth agape? That’s just weird.

11 Likes

For me there was only one story that did that but it was a good story overall “Enemies with benefits”

It’s a good story and the pregnancy was kind of a plot twist, in a good way.

2 Likes

Hahahaha :joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl: oml you made me laugh that last point. Very true all of that is insanely annoying. Funny thing is in highschool I was one of those girls but I never went around saying “I’m not like other girls” I just didn’t wear makeup because I was lazy and my friends were all guys because they were more of a laugh than some of the girls. Then again I had some girl friends as well and unlike some people who “hop between the two group” I merged them together and had fun. Like you should in highschool. I agree though the whole pretentious “Oooooh I’m special because I don’t wear makeup and I get bullied by the popular girls so all the boys are in love with me” thing is ridiculous. Like shut. Up. ya know?
I think from now on I’m going to stare at people with my mouth agape to see how they react.

2 Likes

Mm yeah some stories can pull off cliches like nobodies business but I think everyone should use them with careful consideration.

1 Like

agree. i am working on a story there have a few cliches in it but I try to do them in a not cliche way. and bring some new to the table

2 Likes

Yep! Nothing wrong with not wearing makeup or being friends with guys. :slight_smile:

And I agree, you should merge them and have fun. It’s not that deep. :joy: I don’t remember all the details of high school, and the more time passes, the less important it all seems. It just makes me cringe when I see stories with these MCs because, in real life, girls like this are never as charming as they think they are.

Also, it’s just so weird when the MCs stare like that. Even the swoon one is annoying. It doesn’t help that every dude has the same bodytype either. GIVE US SOME DIVERSITY EPISODE.

I read Episode stories because I think interactive narrative games are fun and I want to get back into writing while I’m in between jobs. So of course, that includes reading stories where I’m not the target demographic. But do MCs really have to be this insufferable? Can’t they have a personality beyond “I’m not like other girls?” Why can’t she just be the guy’s girls that’s passionate about running or something? Why does she have to be this Mary Sue that evolves into a Manic Pixie Dream Girl once a bad boy tells her to get out the way. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

100000000% jeez it’s completely stupid. Even worse than the “I’m not a normal girl” is the “utterly useless but still protagonist” cliche.
Like Elena from the vampire diaries (don’t attack me people) she doesn’t do much and usually has to have someone save her. The utterly useless girl drives me nuts like Bella from Twilight it’s so stupid. The girl who can’t stand up for herself but instead has to have the bad boy save her from the mean girl in stilettos. I’d like to see some real girl power here or a romance where the girl isn’t hopelessly in love with him or hates him then falls for him.
P.s. love that gif action

9 Likes

Gangsters, pregnancies, student teacher relationships, and stories where you fall for your stepbrother or whatever.

2 Likes